Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

At the very least, the theme of the expansion make sense.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
At the very least, the theme of the expansion make sense.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MoobooMagoo
12.19.2012 , 02:08 PM | #21
This sounds really interesting and fun.

Oh, and OP, I think you meant BBY
Explorer: 80% Achiever: 60% Killer: 47% Socializer: 13%

Daniel Erickson and the Amazing Technicolor Dream-Abs

Angedechu
12.19.2012 , 02:31 PM | #22
The Hutts were a major galactic power in -25 000, and some older tech is surprisingly effective in the SW galaxy

Canonical examples :

-Xim the Despot wardroids (taken as trophies by the Hutts), who used Rakatans devices to be boosted by the dark side of the Force. The said droids were so well-built and so deadly than they were still pefectly operationnal 25 milleniums later when the Hutts activated them to fight the invading Vong-the few dozens left killed, according to a guide, several thousand warriors.

-The Hutts built several planechanga, railguns able to fire asteroids at planets (like Hammer Station, but far worse

-The Hutts apparently built mecha (like in Mech Warrior or some Japanese anime) for warfare, and were fearsome with it

All of this is canonical-not rumors.

sstanks
12.19.2012 , 02:32 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Angedechu View Post
The Hutts are, without any doubt, the biggest minor ''player'' on the Galactic space.

By the time of the Cold War, there is little doubt that the Hutts would rank just a notch below the Empire or the Republic when thinking of worlds controlled or economic power.

And this is without considering that the Hutts in TOR times or ''modern'' SW times are the remnant of a vast empire that ruled around 15 000 ABY, before being devastated by the Hutts Cataclysm (the destruction of their homeworld Varl) and the Crusades from the Pius Dea.
from your post here it seems you don't know much about star wars lore. The fact that the Hutts control several planets and operate many major hyperspace trade lanes make them more then just a minor player.

Yes by the time the Civil War comes around they are much smaller but we are not there yet.

SentinelDranoel
12.19.2012 , 02:52 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
We think players interested in lore are going to really enjoy the story in Rise of the Hutt Cartel, and I'd like to share a few more details – this seemed like a good thread for it!

The people of Makeb have remained neutral in wars between the great political powers in the galaxy. Relying on their wealth, isolation, and an army of mercenaries, the citizens have enjoyed centuries of prosperity. However, in the midst of the current galactic conflict, the Hutt Cartel has recognized the planet as a crucial stepping stone to increase their organization's standing and reclaim the strength of their ancestors’ empire. They've hired Makeb's mercenaries away and have made the citizens prisoners in their own homes, forcing them to reach out to the Republic in a desperate bid for rescue.

The Republic recognizes the Cartel's seizure of Makeb as a bid for galactic power. With victory over the Empire seeming possible for the first time in decades, Supreme Chancellor Saresh is determined to respond to Makeb's request for aid to stop the Cartel before they can become an even greater threat and compromise the Republic’s chance for victory.

Taking advantage of the chaos erupting between the Hutt Cartel and the Republic, the Sith Empire makes their own bold play for the hidden power of Makeb, seizing their chance to regain some of the strength lost to internal struggles and at the hands of the Republic's military resurgence. They plan to outmaneuver all their enemies to usher in a new era of Imperial dominance.

Sweet guess on Makeb ...
How will my Jedi Knight get swept into all this. Do you really need the hero of Tython here?
My Jedi Consular could definitely make an appearance on behalf of the Jedi Council.
If there is profit to be made, my Smuggler would show up anyway.
Looks like Havoc Squad has to put down some Hutts, awesome.
My Sith Warrior represents you know who and if the Jedi knight is there, there should be a confrontation.
If the Sith Empire is intervening, then my Sith Inquisitor will be there to represent, and who knows, might unearth some hidden power.
If the Hutts are hiring mercenaries then they better send a message to my Bounty Hunter.
(Have not completed Imperial Agent yet...)
and the Force beat generic Swords and Magic any day. 8/26/14 That was my old signature but after RotHC, I went back to superheroes and swords and magic. Now waiting on Dragon Age and a SWTOR story expac for my Bioware fix

Sledgeweb
12.19.2012 , 02:55 PM | #25
Hmmm... first thing I thought when I heard the expansion would focus on Hutts was, "Ohhh, so they can get around recording new dialogue and just recycle the Huttese gibberish with text translations". :/

That said, I'm looking forward to the expansion and hoping things continue to improve overall.

Still, part of me worries that EA/BW will try to cut costs by not hiring voice actors to record new dialogue, making future updates more text-conversation heavy... which then brings it full circle to being like most other games. I'm not sure that is a bad thing. The fully voiced characters are nice, but I end up space-bar pushing through a lot (especially the side quests you repeat with multiple characters).

Angedechu
12.19.2012 , 02:56 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by sstanks View Post
from your post here it seems you don't know much about star wars lore. The fact that the Hutts control several planets and operate many major hyperspace trade lanes make them more then just a minor player.

Yes by the time the Civil War comes around they are much smaller but we are not there yet.
Largest ''minor'' galactic power is quite an approriate expression

The Hutts are smaller than the Republic or the Empire, but much more poweful than Hapes or Csilla.

nartiuslightlord
12.19.2012 , 03:00 PM | #27
Quesh Empire side should be the final straw for the cartel. not giving any spoilers, but really they should be pissed at empire and to some extent the republic for how they get treated. Hutts are mafia of star wars and right now they have had to bow or die to both factions. it is time to start going on the war path. would love to see a neutral class choice spawn from this BW!

let me expand on this concept and it's value.:

Smuggler and Bounty Hunters can go neutral but in truth work for the hutts and the Hutt faction. players can visit and play both factions sides and do both factions quest for the Hutts. playing and working both sides to further the Hutt agenda.

The re-playability alone being able to play both sides and do each sides quest as these two classed would be epic!. then you could let the smuggler trade illegal goods from the empire side, like republic gear for empire as well empire could get republic gear. As well the bounty hunters could finally be able to hunt players since they would be able to travel both sides of each faction and the rest would take this game to the a whole new level of Star Wars awesome.
CE VIP

SWTOR Episode I - A New Meme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDaG7YqaV4

smithre
12.19.2012 , 04:39 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post

The people of Makeb have remained neutral in wars between the great political powers in the galaxy. Relying on their wealth, isolation, and an army of mercenaries, the citizens have enjoyed centuries of prosperity. However, in the midst of the current galactic conflict, the Hutt Cartel has recognized the planet as a crucial stepping stone to increase their organization's standing and reclaim the strength of their ancestors’ empire. They've hired Makeb's mercenaries away and have made the citizens prisoners in their own homes, forcing them to reach out to the Republic in a desperate bid for rescue.

I guess the thing I am failing to see is why is this unknown planet important to the Hutt's or either faction? If this planet has remained neutral throughout all the galactic conflicts in the last 300 years, what value does it hold that would actually change the tide for either the Empire or Republic? Crucial hyperspace route? Minerals/ore? Technology? Any one of these should have thrown this planet into the conflict far earlier than a decision by the Hutt's to make a power grab. And could this single planet really have that much of a mercenary force to alter the power distribution in the galaxy? As much as I am intrigued by the idea of the Hutt's making a power play, I'm not seeing the bigger picture yet with respect to this planet. Hopefully things will be made clear in the future.

SojournerNC
12.19.2012 , 04:44 PM | #29
I do hope the Dread Master's story isn't forgotten. Was my concern when I saw the announcement was, what happens to the running Dread Master's plot?

Are we going to get a conclusion right before this releases or will it carry over? I certainly hope it carries over and that we don't get a last min Naxx style addition which is quickly forgotten because people don't get a chance to get into it.
The Order of El Elyon
The #1 guild of professional Kinrath pup face scrunchers...Revan approved!!

SilentKitty
12.19.2012 , 04:54 PM | #30
Ohh

Thank you for posting a little bit of Lore concerning the expansion. Made me really happy!!