Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

From Brute to Silly: the Life of Ald

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
From Brute to Silly: the Life of Ald

iamthehoyden
12.19.2012 , 02:05 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
“At least I realize how pathetic I am. At least I’m not trying to justify letting a person rejoin my crew after doing what I did to them. At least I didn’t destroy a friendship and break someone’s heart to let in a person who –”
Death wish much, Quinn? Insult the person who holds your life in their hands and has really good reasons to kill you much? Eesh is he lucky Ald's unpredictable with his reactions.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

irishfino
12.20.2012 , 05:00 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I don't know why, but every time you mention Quinn's son (who I know nothing about) I get really sad

Poor Quinn
It's a pretty sad situation, at least for Quinn. I hope to get to it sooner than a bioware bug fix.

Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Death wish much, Quinn? Insult the person who holds your life in their hands and has really good reasons to kill you much? Eesh is he lucky Ald's unpredictable with his reactions.
Quinn's really not in the right frame of mind right now. He will feel guilt over the Transponder Station and its aftereffects for years to come. Whether or not he's trying to provoke serious discussion or provoke Ald into ending his miserable life, one never knoooooows. OooOOOOoooOOOOoo mysterious. lol.

Thanks for reading everybody!
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

irishfino
12.20.2012 , 05:01 AM | #53
Cross-post!

Raining Rage

Vette was understandably pissed when Quinn showed his face four months after leaving. She was even more so pissed when she found out Jaesa was the one who blabbed Ald’s location. Who the hell did she think she was? She had no right to interfere, no matter how apologetic that stupid son of a b*tch made himself out to be. He wasn’t a victim, he was the perpetrator and a failure at that.

Vette raged for days after Quinn’s return to the ship. It was sudden and disruptive. They had a routine down and now he was back to muck it up and boss everyone around like he owned the place. She’d just as soon stick a knife in him, but, for Ald, she refrained. It was the only thing that saved him those first few tense weeks. She wanted him off the ship and out of their lives. Things were fine now. Things were better than fine and he had no spot in any of this. But Ald. Damn him. For all his silliness, his mercy, his kind nature, he was stupid. He was stupid as hell and he was ruining things. It would never end. Quinn would just do this again, she knew he would. There wasn’t a consequence for his actions. Ald forgave him, patted him on the butt when he left and told him to come back when he was ready, and was more than happy to take him back without so much as a raised voice, an arched brow, anything! It frustrated her beyond measure.

When she encountered that son of a b*tch alone in the med bay one morning, it took all she had to keep from blasting him to the void and back. He was taking inventory for the fifth damn time this week. How much did one ship need? If she thought about it, they needed a lot. Between Pierce’s bombs and Broonmark’s need to stab things – that didn’t matter right now. What mattered was that she was angry and damn him if he got upset that she was interrupting his inventory. She knocked on the doorframe harder than necessary and was mildly surprised when Quinn turned around without grumbling. He was expecting her. Bastard.

“I’m not talking to Ald until you leave,” Vette said firmly.

“That is between the two of you. Do not involve me in this squabble,” Quinn said stiffly. He slipped his datapad into his pocket, leaned against the counter, and crossed his arms.

“You are involved!” she spat angrily. “You’re right in the kriffin’ middle of it!”

“Lord Aldrdinar has clearly drawn the line between us,” he said grimly. “There is nothing there. Continue as you have been.”

“That’s funny, because as soon as you boarded the ship, Ald sat me down. We had a nice long talk about our future together and – get this – there isn’t one!”

“This doesn’t involve me in the slightest, Vette.”

“It does so stop denying it! You ran once, you should run again. Things will go back to normal without you here. Until then, I’m not talking to Ald.”

“I’m not sure why you’re telling me this,” Quinn said stiffly.

“Because you care about him even if you are a twit and me not talking to him is going to bother him and, in turn, bother you. Two birds, one stone,” Vette spat viciously.

Quinn had to admit that a vindictive Vette was an interesting and cunning Vette, but going through Ald to get to him seemed needless and messy. On the other hand, attacking him through Ald wouldn’t be interpreted as a direct attack and was, therefore, unpunishable. He felt the need to applaud her and he did so, slowly.

“A most wonderful plan,” he said blandly. “I’m surprised you thought of it.”

“F**k you, Quinn.”

“Oh, I do believe I already am in such a state, but thank you for the well-wishing. Now, if you are done being a brat, I have things to do.”

He didn’t wait for her to respond, he simply straightened his stance and turned around. She was dismissed and she knew it, but he didn’t have the right to dismiss her. She left before her trigger finger got too itchy. It didn’t matter, she had drawn the battle lines, even informed him of it. It would eat at him and, eventually and for Ald’s sake, he would leave and things would go back to how they were when the bastard left the first time.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

irishfino
12.20.2012 , 05:08 AM | #54
Horrible Timing

“I don’t belong here, my Lord,” Quinn said stiffly.

“You belonged before, nothing has changed,” Ald said evenly.

Everything has changed, my Lord, and pretending otherwise does nothing to resolve matters.”

Ald sighed. “Do we really have to have this conversation right now?”

“It’s the only time I seem to have your undivided attention.”

“It’s pretty divided right now.”

“Perhaps, but you’re focusing at least.”

“This really is not the best time for this.”

“As I said, it’s the only time you’re fully listening to the sound of my voice.”

“But – ah – I can’t think like this.”

“Then listen.” Quinn waited for Ald to raise a protest before continuing. “I don’t know what you said to Vette, if anything, or if she finally realized that ignoring you to get at me was having a terrible effect on you and visibly having no effect on me. Whatever the cause, there is still the underlying issue of her hating me. Saving her from an explosive can only go so far.”

“I haven’t said anything to her. I figured she would – mmf – come around in time.”

“Not a safe bet to make, all things considered.”

“Can we not talk about this right now? I swear we can talk about this after.”

“Will you listen?”

“Stars yes.”

“Very well.”

“Did you really have to ask in such a manner?” Ald grumped quietly as he fluffed his pillow and watched Quinn dress.

“Given your predilection for ignoring the issue at hand, yes, yes I did,” Quinn replied quietly.

“I wish you would stay.”

“We shouldn’t have even – you’re changing the subject.”

“Yes.”

“You said we would talk about this.”

“I don’t want to anymore,” Ald said lightly.

Quinn sighed and ran a hand down his face. “Fine. Keep avoiding the issue. It will keep biting you on the arse until you deal with it, Ald. And I daresay I won’t. Not until we’ve talked about this.”

“Are you putting an embargo on –”

“Yes,” Quinn said sternly. “Should have in the first place. I’ll be in my quarters if you wish to talk about the ongoing situation regarding your relationship with Vette and the consequences of my return.”

Quinn stood at attention and turned to leave.

“Wait,” Ald said quickly. Quinn stopped. “Come sit down and we’ll talk.”

Quinn turned to one side. “Changed your mind again?”

“Don’t take that tone with me; I’m not in the mood.”

“I’d argue you should be, but I can tell when something is bothering you,” Quinn said with a hint of amusement in his tone. He slipped off his boots then sat on the bed, his back to the headboard and his legs stretched in front of him and crossed at the ankles. “As I was saying, Vette talked to me over dinner two weeks ago which is rather unusual as of late. The only logical conclusion I could draw was that she was talking to you again and had finally given up on her plot to upset the balance and drive me off.”

“She and I haven’t talked, actually,” Ald said quietly. “Was she really trying to drive you off?”

“Her plan was to stop talking to you. This would bother you greatly which would cause me distress. I would then leave, this time permanently, in the hopes of you returning to some blissful state that included Vette,” Quinn explained quietly.

“I see. Perhaps I should speak with her.”

“I should think so, my Lord.”

“If I promise to speak with her tomorrow, will you stay?” Ald asked softly.

“No, my Lord,” Quinn said stiffly. He shook his head slowly. “Until this matter is at least being discussed and the wounds scabbing over, I don’t think we should continue down this path.”

“If that is your wish, I won’t force you to.”

“I should hope not, my Lord. It would make matters worse.”

“That it would.” Ald leaned over and pecked Quinn on the cheek. “Good night, Captain.”

A blush spread across Quinn's cheekbones. “Good night, my Lord,” he murmured.

Quickly and quietly, Quinn gathered his boots and left the room. He went straight to his quarters, changed for bed, and tried to sleep.

Tried.

irishfino
12.20.2012 , 01:14 PM | #55
Telling Vette the First Time

“Vette, I don’t want to leave it like this,” Ald pleaded.

“We don’t always get what we want, Ald,” Vette replied. He could hear the tears in her voice and it stabbed at his chest. “Mark my words, this will come back to bite you. And next time, you might not survive him.”

With that said she left him. She left him there, alone, standing in the middle of his room like a lump. Defeated. Tired. Lonely. It was the jungle all over again and it hurt. She left him because he let Quinn come back. Maybe he wasn’t thinking logically, but Quinn was decent people when he wasn’t trying to murder you with giant robots. He was good at his job when his focus was his job and with Baras out of the picture…

He walked over to his bed and sat down hard. Vette would never trust him again and the crew... He sighed and buried his face in his hands. The crew remained loyal, but he could hear the whispered questions regarding his sanity and his priorities. A people in doubt were a people in need of leadership. How could he lead if they didn’t trust his decisions? Would they question him at every turn now? Love was fickle and rarely made sense. He snorted derisively. Love. Quinn had never admitted to having such feelings. He would go so far as to admit “remarkable fondness” but “I love you” was not in his vocabulary. It was quite obvious the man was far more than just fond of Ald, but, dammit, the words meant more when vocalized rather than shown through actions. Void, Ald could have been seeing things. Imagining the looks, the gestures, everything. Damn it all.

He wished, in this low moment, he had let his hair grow out. Then he would have hair to pull out when he screamed in frustration.

Vesaniae
12.22.2012 , 09:05 AM | #56
Ooh, the plot thickens. Poor Ald.
There's always lightning.

irishfino
12.26.2012 , 09:53 PM | #57
SUPER MEGA IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I decided to do a color system, similar to one used by the magnificent bright_ephemera in Ruth Means Compassion. Anything this color is in Ald's past. Anything this color is from Ald's apprenticeship with Baras to the Transponder Station. Anything this color is Post-Transponder Station. Anything too hard to read, please let me know. I'll start spoilering things to give them a better background.

The difference between Sea Green and Green Green is very subtle. Again, please inform me of difficulties reading anything.

EDIT:

Yeah, I changed it back. Didn't like it anymore.

<.<

>.>

^.^

irishfino
12.27.2012 , 11:24 AM | #58
Failure - Vette

Her biggest failure was Ald. She couldn’t convince him Quinn was no good. She couldn’t convince him not to let Quinn back on the ship after what he did. She couldn’t convince Ald not to let her go. He cut her loose the second that man stepped on the ship. The very second. She shook her head and pounded another shot.

Ald was her biggest failure and damned if she couldn’t leave him.

Failure – Quinn

Pride cometh before the fall and, when he fell, his pride was nothing, but shattered glass. It stabbed and gouged and tore all it touched. He was left gasping for breath at the bottom of a pit of despair. If he hadn’t owed so much of his career to Baras, if he hadn’t let his pride get in the way, if he had been less… him… would anything have changed? What was perfection or pride in the face of such blatant betrayal to the Empire? Betrayal of everything he stood for! He should have died. He should be tried for treason. But Ald, dear, sweet, merciful Ald had forgiven him, given him time to come to terms with things, welcomed him back with open arms. After all he had done, after attempting and failing to kill, after putting his emotions aside, after everything he was still wanted, needed.

He should have chosen Ald. He should have chosen the overwhelming chance of dying by Ald’s side rather than Baras. If only he could forgive himself as easily as Ald had forgiven him. If only he had chosen Ald.

It was his greatest failure.

Failure – Ald

He had known since the moment Quinn kneeled before him that the man was a plant. A spy. A liaison, if one stretched a bit. Vette warned him on many occasions that Quinn was bad news. He knew. What he didn’t know what just how bad that news would be. He didn’t expect to fall for the man, though he really should have. The only reason he was even on the ship was because Ald found him tastefully attractive and interesting. And it was his undoing.

Ald was a mission to Quinn. Nothing more, it seemed. It was the likely reason behind his reluctance to say “I love you” in any capacity. Admitting a “remarkable fondness” meant little to Ald. One was fond of a pet or a story, not a person they were intimate with. He tried to remind himself, as time went on, that Quinn’s purpose here was for spying and nothing more, but the more he got to know the man the more he was convinced he was an actual person and not a tool. He wanted to believe there was something more to the officer. He wanted to believe there was more to their relationship.

He wanted to believe and it was his greatest failure.

Notes:

Spoiler

irishfino
12.29.2012 , 01:46 PM | #59
Bad Romance

“What are you reading, my Lord?” Quinn asked as he peered over Ald’s shoulder.

Ald hopped in his seat and spun around. He hadn’t heard the man come up. He hadn’t even sensed him! He was good. Sneaky bugger.

Ald flipped his datapad down into his lap and tried to smile. Quinn stared at him with a blank face and piercing eyes.

“Just a story,” Ald said with a weak smile.

“Fiction, non-fiction, strategy?” Quinn queried. His eyes glowed brighter as he stared down at Ald.

“Uh… fiction.”

“What genre?”

“I don’t think that matters,” Ald laughed.

Quinn moved from behind Ald and stood in front of him. With a quick arm swipe, he grabbed Ald’s datapad and stepped back. Ald looked down at his now empty hand, up at Quinn, back down at his hand, then back up to Quinn. Horror spread across his face. He could tell Quinn was judging him. His face flushed with embarrassment when Quinn’s eyes rose from the datapad to his. Oh, stars, he was going to hear it now. It was innocent, really, it really was. Just a romance. Sort of.

“This series is terrible, my Lord,” Quinn murmured. He walked to Ald and handed him his datapad. “I can recommend something similar and far, far better than this drivel.”

“You read this sort of thing?” Ald asked, arching a quizzical brow ridge.

“Out of curiosity.”

Ald chuckled and Quinn frowned. “Alright, what do you recommend?”

“I’ll send you a copy of my most glorious find in that genre. You’ll be pleased. I guarantee it.”

“Can’t wait.”

Notes:

Spoiler

Damask_Rose
12.30.2012 , 12:54 PM | #60
Now I'm curious, what series is your most glorious find in that genre?

Friends referral for free character transfer and unlocks

Theron MIA?