At the very least, the theme of the expansion make sense.

Angedechu

The Hutts are, without any doubt, the biggest minor ''player'' on the Galactic space.

By the time of the Cold War, there is little doubt that the Hutts would rank just a notch below the Empire or the Republic when thinking of worlds controlled or economic power.

And this is without considering that the Hutts in TOR times or ''modern'' SW times are the remnant of a vast empire that ruled around 15 000 ABY, before being devastated by the Hutts Cataclysm (the destruction of their homeworld Varl) and the Crusades from the Pius Dea.

• Dev Post

We think players interested in lore are going to really enjoy the story in Rise of the Hutt Cartel, and I'd like to share a few more details – this seemed like a good thread for it!

The people of Makeb have remained neutral in wars between the great political powers in the galaxy. Relying on their wealth, isolation, and an army of mercenaries, the citizens have enjoyed centuries of prosperity. However, in the midst of the current galactic conflict, the Hutt Cartel has recognized the planet as a crucial stepping stone to increase their organization's standing and reclaim the strength of their ancestors’ empire. They've hired Makeb's mercenaries away and have made the citizens prisoners in their own homes, forcing them to reach out to the Republic in a desperate bid for rescue.

The Republic recognizes the Cartel's seizure of Makeb as a bid for galactic power. With victory over the Empire seeming possible for the first time in decades, Supreme Chancellor Saresh is determined to respond to Makeb's request for aid to stop the Cartel before they can become an even greater threat and compromise the Republic’s chance for victory.

Taking advantage of the chaos erupting between the Hutt Cartel and the Republic, the Sith Empire makes their own bold play for the hidden power of Makeb, seizing their chance to regain some of the strength lost to internal struggles and at the hands of the Republic's military resurgence. They plan to outmaneuver all their enemies to usher in a new era of Imperial dominance.

We think players interested in lore are going to really enjoy the story in Rise of the Hutt Cartel, and I'd like to share a few more details – this seemed like a good thread for it!

The people of Makeb have remained neutral in wars between the great political powers in the galaxy. Relying on their wealth, isolation, and an army of mercenaries, the citizens have enjoyed centuries of prosperity. However, in the midst of the current galactic conflict, the Hutt Cartel has recognized the planet as a crucial stepping stone to increase their organization's standing and reclaim the strength of their ancestors’ empire. They've hired Makeb's mercenaries away and have made the citizens prisoners in their own homes, forcing them to reach out to the Republic in a desperate bid for rescue.

The Republic recognizes the Cartel's seizure of Makeb as a bid for galactic power. With victory over the Empire seeming possible for the first time in decades, Supreme Chancellor Saresh is determined to respond to Makeb's request for aid to stop the Cartel before they can become an even greater threat and compromise the Republic’s chance for victory.

Taking advantage of the chaos erupting between the Hutt Cartel and the Republic, the Sith Empire makes their own bold play for the hidden power of Makeb, seizing their chance to regain some of the strength lost to internal struggles and at the hands of the Republic's military resurgence. They plan to outmaneuver all their enemies to usher in a new era of Imperial dominance.

Allison,

I may still be unsure about the XPAC or the way that the game is going but ty. you have been answering the questions that no one else at BW wanted to touch.

Sounds like a great backdrop for some good questing and story. Thanks for posting it, looking forward to it.

Rise of the Hutt Cartel...EAware's shifted focus unto the newly introduced ingame Cartel Market, the cynical side of me sees this as some sort of devious opportunity for EA/ware to make some extra cash via tie ins to the actual cash store.

InB4 Hutt Pleasure Barge replica speeder introduced to cash shop for 50$, (per character, not account based, I may add.) :D

Anyways, the one subject regarding the Star Wars universe that I have simply no interest in, is the subject matter regarding Hutts. They're simply not that interesting to me, never have been. My personal opinion, of course.

Giant, bloated, interstellar mafia running space grubs. Oooh, fascinating! :rolleyes:

Edited by Variden

Can you please explain what is ment by hidden power. It sounds like another boring tomb raider story line for the Imperial player, while the Republic story line is about winning the world to the Republic cause much like Corellia and Quesh and Alderaan and it may be a hunch but I think they will defeat the Hutt Cartel in the final battle. The Imperial story line seems to be something that could have been run on any of the worlds and will have them running from place to place looking for some hidden power which will amount to nothing. With all likilhood the republic story will stumble upon near its conclusion.

So can you give us some idea on this hidden power and how epic a story line it will be or if it is just a side quest to the main story of the republic fighting the Hutt Cartel.

Rise of the Hutt Cartel...EAware's shifted focus unto the newly introduced ingame Cartel Market, the cynical side of me sees this as some sort of devious opportunity for EA/ware to make some extra cash via tie ins to the actual cash store.

InB4 Hutt Pleasure Barge replica speeder introduced to cash shop for 50$, (per character, not account based, I may add.) :D

Anyways, the one subject regarding the Star Wars universe that I have simply no interest in, is the subject matter regarding Hutts. They're simply not that interesting to me, never have been. My personal opinion, of course.

Giant, bloated, interstellar mafia running space grubs. Oooh, fascinating! :rolleyes:

Color me crazy, but I highly doubt this new planet was designed specifically for the F2P switch. I'd wager this was already on their "story bible" for the game and had already been in production before the game launched, at least in terms of VO and world design. I think it's pretty clear that they are still tweaking and finishing the build on it, but I am pretty sure they haven't chosen some giant shift in the direction of the story.

This stuff was all already worked out and plotted in advance.

Can you please explain what is ment by hidden power. It sounds like another boring tomb raider story line for the Imperial player, while the Republic story line is about winning the world to the Republic cause much like Corellia and Quesh and Alderaan and it may be a hunch but I think they will defeat the Hutt Cartel in the final battle. The Imperial story line seems to be something that could have been run on any of the worlds and will have them running from place to place looking for some hidden power which will amount to nothing. With all likilhood the republic story will stumble upon near its conclusion.

So can you give us some idea on this hidden power and how epic a story line it will be or if it is just a side quest to the main story of the republic fighting the Hutt Cartel.

They could make it epic and say it's a marooned Pius Dea warship, or a Celestial artifact. Or do it the smark (not a typo) way and says that the Makeb offensive is just to give to the Imperials hope.

That looks really cool, maybe you should post this again in the lore section.

They could make it epic and say it's a marooned Pius Dea warship, or a Celestial artifact. Or do it the smark (not a typo) way and says that the Makeb offensive is just to give to the Imperials hope.

The Republic 'won' at the end of the base game. The Empire could (and probably will) win Makeb, they need to stay in the race after all.

Wasn't the next planet leaked as Rakata Prime, anyway? Home of the dread masters.

• Dev Post
That looks really cool, maybe you should post this again in the lore section.

I did peek in there to see if a new thread for the Makeb story had been posted yet, but didn't see a recent one. We might move this one over there, though, since the discussion will hopefully be lore-oriented! If I get some new details, I'll bring them here!

Edited by AllisonBerryman

The Republic 'won' at the end of the base game. The Empire could (and probably will) win Makeb, they need to stay in the race after all.

Wasn't the next planet leaked as Rakata Prime, anyway? Home of the dread masters.

OMG KOTOR-gasm!!!

Do you have a link?

The Hutts were a major galactic power in -25 000, and some older tech is surprisingly effective in the SW galaxy

Canonical examples :

-Xim the Despot wardroids (taken as trophies by the Hutts), who used Rakatans devices to be boosted by the dark side of the Force. The said droids were so well-built and so deadly than they were still pefectly operationnal 25 milleniums later when the Hutts activated them to fight the invading Vong-the few dozens left killed, according to a guide, several thousand warriors.

-The Hutts built several planechanga, railguns able to fire asteroids at planets (like Hammer Station, but far worse

-The Hutts apparently built mecha (like in Mech Warrior or some Japanese anime) for warfare, and were fearsome with it

All of this is canonical-not rumors.

The Hutts are, without any doubt, the biggest minor ''player'' on the Galactic space.

By the time of the Cold War, there is little doubt that the Hutts would rank just a notch below the Empire or the Republic when thinking of worlds controlled or economic power.

And this is without considering that the Hutts in TOR times or ''modern'' SW times are the remnant of a vast empire that ruled around 15 000 ABY, before being devastated by the Hutts Cataclysm (the destruction of their homeworld Varl) and the Crusades from the Pius Dea.

from your post here it seems you don't know much about star wars lore. The fact that the Hutts control several planets and operate many major hyperspace trade lanes make them more then just a minor player.

Yes by the time the Civil War comes around they are much smaller but we are not there yet.

Sweet guess on Makeb ...

How will my Jedi Knight get swept into all this. Do you really need the hero of Tython here?

My Jedi Consular could definitely make an appearance on behalf of the Jedi Council.

If there is profit to be made, my Smuggler would show up anyway.

Looks like Havoc Squad has to put down some Hutts, awesome.

My Sith Warrior represents you know who and if the Jedi knight is there, there should be a confrontation.

If the Sith Empire is intervening, then my Sith Inquisitor will be there to represent, and who knows, might unearth some hidden power.

If the Hutts are hiring mercenaries then they better send a message to my Bounty Hunter.

(Have not completed Imperial Agent yet...)

Edited by SentinelDranoel

Hmmm... first thing I thought when I heard the expansion would focus on Hutts was, "Ohhh, so they can get around recording new dialogue and just recycle the Huttese gibberish with text translations". :/

That said, I'm looking forward to the expansion and hoping things continue to improve overall.

Still, part of me worries that EA/BW will try to cut costs by not hiring voice actors to record new dialogue, making future updates more text-conversation heavy... which then brings it full circle to being like most other games. I'm not sure that is a bad thing. The fully voiced characters are nice, but I end up space-bar pushing through a lot (especially the side quests you repeat with multiple characters).