Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I Fully Support Makeb: Story Content is Encouraging and Should Be Encouraged!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I Fully Support Makeb: Story Content is Encouraging and Should Be Encouraged!

Vlacke
12.19.2012 , 10:29 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by kamed View Post
If you haven't heard EA co-published TSW with Funcom...
Touche.
Telcontar Legacy

asbalana
12.19.2012 , 10:45 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
If you want story content, support the small amount we get. Granted, I think it's a cheap move to disallow subscribers (or anyone else, for that matter) to use their saved points, but it's an understandable one. Story content, class-based or otherwise, isn't cheap. Particularly when compared to how profitable a new pet or robe on the Cartel Market can be. They're simply hedging their bets.

Although perhaps there is some truth in your statement from a players perspective, it is to me wrong on the whole.

I should not have to bribe (buying things that I do not want in the hope that someday there will be things that I do) a company to produce the product that I want. They should be offering what I want to buy. If they can't do so and make a reasonable profit then they should not be in the business. Looking at the game content and CM as distinct is also wrong. Although there may be significantly more profit in CM items, the amount of such sold and ultimate profit depends on the number of players and their motivation to buy. There is no CM without content.

EA can shut down the game and go it's merry way. If the game is to continue, new content must be provided because to most who have played for any lenght of time, the content has been played to the degree that they desire and the game is at it's end.

I find gaming and gamers interesting. I am not sure that I know of any other enterprise where the customers are called on to motivate a company to produce the products that they are in business to produce.

SilentKitty
12.19.2012 , 10:59 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by asbalana View Post
Although perhaps there is some truth in your statement from a players perspective, it is to me wrong on the whole.

I should not have to bribe (buying things that I do not want in the hope that someday there will be things that I do) a company to produce the product that I want. They should be offering what I want to buy. If they can't do so and make a reasonable profit then they should not be in the business. Looking at the game content and CM as distinct is also wrong. Although there may be significantly more profit in CM items, the amount of such sold and ultimate profit depends on the number of players and their motivation to buy. There is no CM without content.

EA can shut down the game and go it's merry way. If the game is to continue, new content must be provided because to most who have played for any lenght of time, the content has been played to the degree that they desire and the game is at it's end.

I find gaming and gamers interesting. I am not sure that I know of any other enterprise where the customers are called on to motivate a company to produce the products that they are in business to produce.
You see it as bribing. I see it as "When you make things I like I give you money, mkay "

I want more story so when they give me more story I give them money, this is something I want more off. If you had a company making a product no one bought, would you continue to make more of the same product? They have already said that if the Cathar is successful they will continue with more playable species. I would say that they same thing goes for story.
Female Mandalorians who romanced Torian are missing his Resol'nare and Mando'a lessons conversations since 4.0 launched. Please fix this!

uaintjak
12.19.2012 , 11:25 AM | #34
I love the game for the story. Everything else is fairly stale...but the story is what hooked me.

Having said that, I will not be purchasing the "expansion". I'm not going to reward a company for their shoddy business practices (even to get something I may want).

Sneakycheeks
12.19.2012 , 11:31 AM | #35
I'm looking forward to the expansion. Sure I'd rather the level cap be going up a full 10 levels ((60)) instead of just 5...but I'll take what I can get. When you think about it half the complaints and or wishes from the player base has been for more story content..and that's what they are giving us with this new expansion. And I'm not at all upset or surprised that we have to pay for it...after all if they gave us it for free..then how would they be able to make money to afford to keep developing more and more content for the game?

Sneakycheeks
12.19.2012 , 11:32 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by SilentKitty View Post
You see it as bribing. I see it as "When you make things I like I give you money, mkay "

I want more story so when they give me more story I give them money, this is something I want more off. If you had a company making a product no one bought, would you continue to make more of the same product? They have already said that if the Cathar is successful they will continue with more playable species. I would say that they same thing goes for story.
Well said ^^

CelCawdro
12.19.2012 , 11:35 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by uaintjak View Post
I love the game for the story. Everything else is fairly stale...but the story is what hooked me.

Having said that, I will not be purchasing the "expansion". I'm not going to reward a company for their shoddy business practices (even to get something I may want).
I would encourage you to do as I did - unsubscribe, but put that money toward Makeb. Make a decision to show them that you're not supporting the general direction of the game, that your faith has been shaken, but at the same time, show them exactly where you want them to head. Unfortunately, not even the most gifted wordsmith could get anything across to EA - when dealing with them, money talks. And money alone.

CorellianWannabe
12.19.2012 , 11:37 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by johnxtreeme View Post
exactly, $10 is so cheap, I don't understand why people in some of the wealthiest countries in the world somehow don't want to pay the price of a snack from KFC for an expansion that will provide HOURS of content.

Unless you do it on 'principle' in which case ****, it's clearly good value, and if they didn't charge you, THEY WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO DEVELOP THE GAME.
Really? So all the money pouring in from gambling packs and holiday speeders isn't earmarked for developing the game?

CelCawdro
12.19.2012 , 11:40 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by CorellianWannabe View Post
Really? So all the money pouring in from gambling packs and holiday speeders isn't earmarked for developing the game?
I think that's a dangerous assumption to make. It's a logical one, of course, for the longevity of the game, but EA doesn't really understand longevity. They only understand content that generates immediate profit. As far as I'm concerned, if the money from the cash shop ever gets re-invested in the game, it's going right back in to content for the cash shop.

All we can do is send a message by showing them precisely where we'll let them make that profit. And we can only send that message one person at a time.

CorellianWannabe
12.19.2012 , 11:43 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
I would encourage you to do as I did - unsubscribe, but put that money toward Makeb. Make a decision to show them that you're not supporting the general direction of the game, that your faith has been shaken, but at the same time, show them exactly where you want them to head. Unfortunately, not even the most gifted wordsmith could get anything across to EA - when dealing with them, money talks. And money alone.
They're heading in whatever direction gets them the most cash for the least work-i.e. cartel shop. There will likely never be a class storyline extension (not that most of the class stories were that great anyway), so replay value has dropped even lower. Adding levels (and presumably new abilities and talents) will likely further unbalance the game (more hybrid specs anyone?). There will also be a further splitting of the playerbase, sub with makeb, sub without, free with, free without.

Will 54 become the new twink level? Will Elite War Hero scale up, or will there be a new gear grind in a very few months? What will raiders do-burn through any new ops then unsub until the next raid, since they've already done the others to death, even if they do scale up?