Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shien Form or 30% armor Penetration

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Shien Form or 30% armor Penetration

liambojthe
12.19.2012 , 09:13 AM | #1
This question is for Jedi Guardian's in their skill tree. I'm currently a dps Guardian and just wanted to know
if it would be better to use Shien Form or Shii-Cho with 30% Armor Penetration to make my damage better.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Lionflash
12.19.2012 , 09:19 AM | #2
If you have the 30% armor penetration I think that means you're well up the focus tree, which means you should use Shi-Cho, because a few talents and abilities require you to be in that form.

liambojthe
12.19.2012 , 09:24 AM | #3
I'm Hybrid and don't max out on any tree so I wouldn't be losing points in etheir way I choose just wanted to know
which does more dps

Lionflash
12.19.2012 , 09:30 AM | #4
Do you have your build somewhere?

Off the bat I would think 30% armor penetration does more damage. Shien gives you more focus to work with.

Belly
12.19.2012 , 09:42 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
Do you have your build somewhere?

Off the bat I would think 30% armor penetration does more damage. Shien gives you more focus to work with.
+1

It's hard to answer without seeing your build.
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts

LarryRow
12.19.2012 , 09:46 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
If you have the 30% armor penetration I think that means you're well up the focus tree, which means you should use Shi-Cho, because a few talents and abilities require you to be in that form.
^ This. It requires at least 22 points in Focus. Hybrid DPS guardians don't make much sense, so the OP should go full or nearly full Focus tree in Shii-Cho, or switch to full Vigilance in Shien.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

liambojthe
12.19.2012 , 09:55 AM | #7
Ok I asked a few people in game and they said 30% armor penetration smashes more. On the thing that Hybrid dps Guardians makes no sense that has not been the case for me. I go as high as armor penetration on the right and in the middle i use the points for increased accuracy, strength, +1 second on force leap immobilization which is good to get in your master strike without interrupt's and lastly unremitting which reduces damage taken by 20% after force leap. Everyone has a certain style of play which works best for them and I found this works best for me

Malkavier
12.19.2012 , 10:04 AM | #8
He's essentially using the Smash build, only the JK version. In this case, ArPen is the correct choice. Shien is more for straight Vig or Tank/Vig hybrid.
L50 Annhi Marauder L50 Madness Sorc L17 Gunslinger L23 Pyro Tech L35 Medic OP L17 Marks Sniper L50 Lethality Sniper

"Your fear angers me. My anger feeds my hate. My hate gives me strength."

gofortheko
12.19.2012 , 10:26 AM | #9
You should go 31 points into focus, the strength of guardian dps is stance dancing. You leap in and smash, then if warranted switch to shien for defensive love. It's what closes the gap. Small bit not being sentinel.
Weapon-of War
Powertech - Vanguard - Sorcerer - Sage - Mercenary - Commando - Marauder - Sentinel - Juggernaut - Guardian - Assassin - Shadow - Operative -Scoundrel - Sniper - Gunslinger
Guild: Ghost Infantry Server: The Harbinger

LarryRow
12.19.2012 , 10:28 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by liambojthe View Post
Ok I asked a few people in game and they said 30% armor penetration smashes more. On the thing that Hybrid dps Guardians makes no sense that has not been the case for me. I go as high as armor penetration on the right and in the middle i use the points for increased accuracy, strength, +1 second on force leap immobilization which is good to get in your master strike without interrupt's and lastly unremitting which reduces damage taken by 20% after force leap. Everyone has a certain style of play which works best for them and I found this works best for me
You are a sweep Guardian that specs Unremitting, which I don't consider a true hybrid. A lot of us will do this from time to time. It's nice to not be stunned after every leap. Just know that your dps will be gimped because you can only use a full Sweep 5 times every 2 minutes, whereas a 31pt Focus spec you can use it just about every time if's off CD.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.