Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rule of two is weak an so is Bane.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Rule of two is weak an so is Bane.

BrianDavion
12.19.2012 , 03:05 AM | #61
the problem with the EU is "top thisism" is rampent. it's particularly bad with some writers (Kevin J Anderson comes to mind) but it's basicly a matter of "well to be impressive this new thing must be better then all thats come before"

GrimAce
12.19.2012 , 03:09 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
the problem with the EU is "top thisism" is rampent. it's particularly bad with some writers (Kevin J Anderson comes to mind) but it's basicly a matter of "well to be impressive this new thing must be better then all thats come before"
Pretty much. Perfect example is the Yuuzhan Vong. They went so far left field to introduce a new, overpowered galactic threat that a lot of people (at least a lot of people I've spoken to, not trying to make a generalization here) simply disregard it from EU canon entirely.
|-o-| <-o-> |-o-|
I HAVE YOU NOW

| Vrek | Siiras | Elliöt | Kharoz | Bhalr | Bhálr |

Timarick
12.19.2012 , 03:20 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by GrimAce View Post
Perfect example comes from KOTOR 2. Look at Kreia. She was a phenomenal character because her power wasn't insisted on - she herself spent the entire game intentionally avoiding the limelight, then BAM. Suddenly you have to kill her.

Granted Obsidian did a poor job in areas with TSL's writing and cutscenes, but she is easily the most compelling Darksider I've seen to come out of the EU in recent memory.

Though I can't ever bring myself to like Malgus because...well, let's face it, he's Malak 2.0 without the cool deathscene and Star Forge MacGuffin.
That's your opinion, and that's completely fine. I personally like Malgus myself having read his novel and so forth, but I think we can both agree that Malgus by comparison to his boss, was a far more effective villain. You felt his presence and the chill of evil with him throughout the game far more than you did the Emperor, even in the JK class story.

But you hit the nails in the head there my friend

Timarick
12.19.2012 , 03:22 AM | #64
Pretty much. Perfect example is the Yuuzhan Vong. They went so far left field to introduce a new, overpowered galactic threat that a lot of people (at least a lot of people I've spoken to, not trying to make a generalization here) simply disregard it from EU canon entirely.
And this is why no fans were upset when the news broke that Episodes 7 thru 9 will overwrite this particular part of EU history.

Ironically, doing so does VERY LITTLE on the narrative outside of Anakin Solo's death and Chewie's death, which I'll be the latter getting killed in the movies too, and for EU concerns, Anakin Solo could've died in some other event for all we care. It really doesn't affect too much of the narrative prior to or post. That's pretty sad when a series can alienate itself from its own continuity and when its own creators can look back and ask "*** IS THAT?!"

GrimAce
12.19.2012 , 03:24 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Timarick View Post
That's your opinion, and that's completely fine. I personally like Malgus myself having read his novel and so forth, but I think we can both agree that Malgus by comparison to his boss, was a far more effective villain. You felt his presence and the chill of evil with him throughout the game far more than you did the Emperor, even in the JK class story.

But you hit the nails in the head there my friend
Comapred to the Emepror, yeah, I'll agree that he was more effective as a villain. I think BW:A tried to go with the whole mystery man archetype for the Emperor as a protagonist, and it wound up not working because we simply didn't care two credits about him or what he was trying to do.

Plus Malgus was a poster boy for the Sith, so in the advertising build up to launch, you kind of wanted to know more about him then the Emperor.

EDIT:
And this is why no fans were upset when the news broke that Episodes 7 thru 9 will overwrite this particular part of EU history.

Ironically, doing so does VERY LITTLE on the narrative outside of Anakin Solo's death and Chewie's death, which I'll be the latter getting killed in the movies too, and for EU concerns, Anakin Solo could've died in some other event for all we care. It really doesn't affect too much of the narrative prior to or post. That's pretty sad when a series can alienate itself from its own continuity and when its own creators can look back and ask "*** IS THAT?!"
Wait, really? That's the best news I've heard all week o.O
|-o-| <-o-> |-o-|
I HAVE YOU NOW

Timarick
12.19.2012 , 04:05 AM | #66
Comapred to the Emepror, yeah, I'll agree that he was more effective as a villain. I think BW:A tried to go with the whole mystery man archetype for the Emperor as a protagonist, and it wound up not working because we simply didn't care two credits about him or what he was trying to do.

Plus Malgus was a poster boy for the Sith, so in the advertising build up to launch, you kind of wanted to know more about him then the Emperor.

EDIT:

Wait, really? That's the best news I've heard all week o.O
It was almost the second established thing since Disney purchased Lucasfilm into their corporate portfolio besides stating they would be hands off with the project like they are in large part with Marvel and that the story would be based on old story notes written by George and that he would still retain a role in the movie as chief creative consultant. The story would be set with Luke in his later years (the "proto-script" written by George Lucas states his 40s) training a new generation of Jedi.

Luke in his 40s places the timeline of these new films to be around the, you guessed it, period of the New Jedi Order series and thus the YuZhanVong would be cut from continuity entirely.

GrimAce
12.19.2012 , 05:20 AM | #67
It was almost the second established thing since Disney purchased Lucasfilm into their corporate portfolio besides stating they would be hands off with the project like they are in large part with Marvel and that the story would be based on old story notes written by George and that he would still retain a role in the movie as chief creative consultant. The story would be set with Luke in his later years (the "proto-script" written by George Lucas states his 40s) training a new generation of Jedi.

Luke in his 40s places the timeline of these new films to be around the, you guessed it, period of the New Jedi Order series and thus the YuZhanVong would be cut from continuity entirely.
Please excuse me while I run naked through the streets in joy.
|-o-| <-o-> |-o-|
I HAVE YOU NOW

Beniboybling
12.19.2012 , 06:38 AM | #68

Hmmm... I'd like to see a source for this. I'd embrace the news but I'm pretty sure that the only thing Disney & Lucasfilm have said is that it will be an 'original story'. This sounds like a rumor.

Timarick
12.19.2012 , 05:37 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Hmmm... I'd like to see a source for this. I'd embrace the news but I'm pretty sure that the only thing Disney & Lucasfilm have said is that it will be an 'original story'. This sounds like a rumor.
I wish I saved the link now...

You can find it on cosmicbooknews.com

or

comicbookmovie.com

for more info.

GrimAce
12.19.2012 , 06:44 PM | #70
Yeah, I wouldn't take those articles at face value. Everything I could find seems to source back to this Reuters article:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BH16120121218

Long story short? Everyone's skewing the story as it gets republished. The original speculation about Yavin IV returning in Ep 7 comes from fans. Everyone seems to be adding their own spin on that and intepreting from there.

Tl;dr? It's all a lie. Factually speaking, we still know next to nothing about what the Sequel trilogy will entail.
|-o-| <-o-> |-o-|
I HAVE YOU NOW