Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So much for not charging subs for Makeb

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
So much for not charging subs for Makeb

GalaxyStrong
12.18.2012 , 02:24 PM | #641
Quote: Originally Posted by Lucyfer_Infinity View Post
http://www.swtor.com/buy

Lies, lies, lies, lies, lies, lies. Is all we ever hear from you bioware. 5 lvl cap increase and 1 planet is your definition of paid expansion bioware? Really?
LOL, Seriously Dude

I spend more money on a Dominoes Pizza than what the Expansion Pack cost.

I think we can live with it.
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

KyaniteD
12.18.2012 , 02:25 PM | #642
Quote: Originally Posted by Oggthebase View Post
exactly.
and proof that they're just trying to charge as much as they can, just look at the orange set of today's patch: 1440 CC instead of 1200 CC for the older ones. Since people are saying "oh it's cheap, I'll buy". They increased the price because they know people will buy them.
Same with Makeb, "it's cheap I'll buy". Next time they'll charge 10 CC you each time you change a zone and the same people will say "oh it's cheap, it's fine".

Bioscrooge keeps pushing the line and changing their story because people let them and keep paying.
With 2400CCs for the Life Day package and 2400CCs costing $19.99 one has to wonder if both EAWare and the players have lost their grip on reality and the value of money. And no, I don't want to learn about it's equal value in McDonald's meals. (Besides, not everyone lives in the US. In some countries, 10 dollars or their equal in Euro or Pound are a lot more than a McDOnald's meal.)

And to those who think this is going to be a big content package, think about it: the Life Day package costs $20, a set of reskinned/recolored armor costs about $10. This "expansion" costs $10 resp. $20 dollars. If we talk about just roughly equal values, I wouldn't expect too much from it.
Darkvs.Light:
Shepard Effect ᶩ彡
______Crafting_____ ______Trading___ ___
All original level 1-50 custom sets & full cartel sets. (JC only.)

BadOrb
12.18.2012 , 02:29 PM | #643
Quote: Originally Posted by KyaniteD View Post
With 2400CCs for the Life Day package and 2400CCs costing $19.99 one has to wonder if both EAWare and the players have lost their grip on reality and the value of money. And no, I don't want to learn about it's equal value in McDonald's meals. (Besides, not everyone lives in the US. In some countries, 10 dollars or their equal in Euro or Pound are a lot more than a McDOnald's meal.)

And to those who think this is going to be a big content package, think about it: the Life Day package costs $20, a set of reskinned/recolored armor costs about $10. This "expansion" costs $10 resp. $20 dollars. If we talk about just roughly equal values, I wouldn't expect too much from it.
Well upgrading to a large meal isn't much less than what the x-pac costs. It's 6 with a penny change. If you are a subscriber that is.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

uziforyou
12.18.2012 , 02:29 PM | #644
Quote: Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
Except they mentioned a few times they weren't sure if they were going to charge for it or not since it was a large chunk of content.

For $10? I can live with that, since thats a piece of DLC from another game that i can skimp on for a while
Human psychology never ceases to fascinate. It's absolutely amazing what is said versus what people come away with. Bioware never, ever 'promised' Makeb would be free to subscribers. They said "we're thinking about it. It MAY be free to subscribers or there might be an extra charge. We haven't decided" This was the last thing they had to say about it. Why on God's green earth anyone would come away with the thought that they 'promised it would be free to subscribers' is beyond me.

Oh by the way, paying for expansions is pretty standard practice in the gaming and MMO world. This should surprise no one.
"When you're bleeding out in a ditch on some muckball planet it's not headquarters that comes to save you, it's the guy next to you."

Prettyevilish
12.18.2012 , 02:32 PM | #645
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
You do realize the fault in that logic, right?
Just because someone who in reality knows nothing but has a "hunch" or is wishing that it's free says so, doesn't make it true. If it's not officially announced no matter how much fans and haters wish it, it's nothing more than pure speculation. If people believe everything they read written by anyone, they will most likely have bigger problems than paying $10 for this game.

So, if instead of a big update for free we get an even bigger update that actually helps the game retain and grow its player base instead of acting as a band-aid for 2 months...that's bad how?

I'm not saying I know anything more than anyone else here. For all I know RotHC might be an utter failure. I'm just asking why is it that before we know more details about what it actually includes, you are already condemning it as a money-grabbing move?

Sure, they're asking you to pre-order it. If you're not sure don't, until they announce what's in it.
(and by you, I mean everyone, including me)
We don't know that it's a bigger xpac; you are making that assumption. From what they have announced so far it's the exact same things that we were told would be in it at E3, which means it's a non-expansion being relabeled as an expansion to get money. That is an assumption made on actual presented facts.

And history with SWTOR since the f2p move has shown that they are going to do any and all money grabs possible.

Fool me once... you know the saying, I'm sure.

And I'm NOT pre-ordering it (nor did anything I have said indicate I think people are being force to do so; I was simply pointing out their sales pitch is completely bass ackwards). I won't even ORDER it unless it has FAR more than what I personally deem worthy of an expansion pack (not an incredibly large update that we were promised would be free).

Quraswren
12.18.2012 , 02:34 PM | #646
Quote: Originally Posted by Prettyevilish View Post
^ This.

It seems we're all in agreement. They keep changing their story. And that's exactly what those who have a problem... have a problem with.
Wait, so your upset that a 6 month old statement in a developing cycle of content (and that has clearly been changed) about content to be released in the future, got changed in a game that you have yet to play, know very little about in size or scope and are upset it might cost you $10 that you don't have to pay for right now unless being able to play it 5 days earlier is so important to you that you feel like you have to pay it?

No wonder game companies try to not say much to gamers. It seems some hold onto those words like there the constitution.

Amodin
12.18.2012 , 02:37 PM | #647
Quote: Originally Posted by uziforyou View Post
Human psychology never ceases to fascinate. It's absolutely amazing what is said versus what people come away with. Bioware never, ever 'promised' Makeb would be free to subscribers. They said "we're thinking about it. It MAY be free to subscribers or there might be an extra charge. We haven't decided" This was the last thing they had to say about it. Why on God's green earth anyone would come away with the thought that they 'promised it would be free to subscribers' is beyond me.

Oh by the way, paying for expansions is pretty standard practice in the gaming and MMO world. This should surprise no one.
Wrong. James Ohlin - E3, 2012. - Called it first, a non-expansion pack (Thus it falls into the content updates that Bioware specifically says is free).

Compared to other free content in the same interview at E3. Why compare free content to paid? Simple, it was stated and not supposed to be charged content, thus the opposite of it being called 'free'.

Prettyevilish
12.18.2012 , 02:39 PM | #648
Quote: Originally Posted by Quraswren View Post
Wait, so your upset that a 6 month old statement in a developing cycle of content (and that has clearly been changed) about content to be released in the future, got changed in a game that you have yet to play, know very little about in size or scope and are upset it might cost you $10 that you don't have to pay for right now unless being able to play it 5 days earlier is so important to you that you feel like you have to pay it?

No wonder game companies try to not say much to gamers. It seems some hold onto those words like there the constitution.
He was intentionally vague about things he couldn't talk about, even said he couldn't talk about them, but was very forthcoming about it being a huge non-expansion pack, and bragging how it would shame anything else released in a non-expansion.

Just because it was said 6 months ago doesn't make it less relevant. If we go with that theory then promises made should never be kept because things are always changing. It's called bait and switch when companies do it though.

H-aTreD
12.18.2012 , 02:39 PM | #649
Let me just put this on here for a third time, where James is saying it's firstly not an expansion an secondly it's free. Since people are obviously too lazy to actually read the thread and find it all by themself.

Durasturan
12.18.2012 , 02:41 PM | #650
Quote: Originally Posted by Quraswren View Post

Game companies shifted the focus from actually devoloping content to appeal to gamers and instead rely on hundred million dollar advertising campaigns because they realize it's easier to use human psychology to trick people into buying something they probably won't like than to actually develop a product worth the price to the average consumer.

That's why you see hundreds of thousands of people quitting the most hyped MMO of the decade literally weeks after purchasing it.

If something seems like it's going to be amazing, bet on it being an 8, if it seems mediocre, it will be a 1. This "expansion" seems mediocre at best and touches a sore point for a lot of gamers. After f2p, life day, ship missions, people are especially wary about being nickle and dimed and this is just the icing on the cake.

It doesn't matter how old the promise is, they have a track record of completely failing to meet their obligations, from launch until today. you can't blame people for being negative. they set the tone.