Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Can we not buy this 'Expansion' with Cartel Coins?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we not buy this 'Expansion' with Cartel Coins?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Styxx's Avatar


Styxx
12.18.2012 , 10:11 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
They do need to clarify quickly whether this adventure pack will ever be on the Cartel Shop or not.
They are not in a clarify mood to begin with.. especially for keeping in the dark for more sales... I don`t think they`ll ever..

If anything, Mr. Gonzalez will come with a lol pitch like "We are definetely considering selling or not selling for coins, but we are still considering or not considering it. Oh, but you get 5 more levels, so it is totally, like.. buyable..."

[EDIT]I`d love to see a clarification, but it is not in THEIR best interest... THEM being EA/Bioware. So, we`ll only get vague statements that mean precisely zero, like Mr. Hickman`s "we might charge for it".
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Spiritinblack's Avatar


Spiritinblack
12.18.2012 , 10:14 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
They do need to clarify quickly whether this adventure pack will ever be on the Cartel Shop or not.
It is very doubtful you will get an answer to this any time soon.

This is a cash grab before the holiday.

Answering something like that would stop subs from buying it if they know they can get it for CC. ( well it would stop some, as I'm sure some would still buy it)

Guancyto's Avatar


Guancyto
12.18.2012 , 10:20 AM | #33
I've been thinking about it, and it may well be that they don't have the technology at present to give us Makeb in the CM.

Oh, they definitely have the ability to restrict zones, as evidenced by Section X being a cartel market purchase.

But, as with everything else about this content update, the level cap increase ruins everything. The existing mechanic to impose a different level cap came with the trial, and that was all account-wide and all done out-of-game.

Using an ingame item to raise the level cap may well be trickier for them to code. I have little doubt they'll add it eventually though (although whether or not they do so only after it's become obsolete, like WoW charging five dollars for outdated expansions, remains to be seen).

Spiritinblack's Avatar


Spiritinblack
12.18.2012 , 10:23 AM | #34
Nickle and Dime
Nickle and Dime
Eaware pushes
to Nickle and Dime
How do they measure
it's worth
By the pleasure it
gives them on Earth

( To the tune of Silver and Gold)

Veimi's Avatar


Veimi
12.18.2012 , 10:25 AM | #35
Adrianne
<Fade>
Jedi Shadow
Tomb of Freedon Nadd PVP EU

Guancyto's Avatar


Guancyto
12.18.2012 , 10:27 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Veimi View Post
Did you read that?

It says you can't pre-order with cartel coins (which makes all kinds of sense, implementing pre-ordering for CC would be way, way more trouble than it's worth).

Whether or not the content update can be bought with CC on and after the date of its release is a totally different question.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.18.2012 , 10:47 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
I've been thinking about it, and it may well be that they don't have the technology at present to give us Makeb in the CM.

Oh, they definitely have the ability to restrict zones, as evidenced by Section X being a cartel market purchase.

But, as with everything else about this content update, the level cap increase ruins everything. The existing mechanic to impose a different level cap came with the trial, and that was all account-wide and all done out-of-game.

Using an ingame item to raise the level cap may well be trickier for them to code. I have little doubt they'll add it eventually though (although whether or not they do so only after it's become obsolete, like WoW charging five dollars for outdated expansions, remains to be seen).
Well they seem to have the technology to sell Ch4 on the Cashshop, which is how it would be done I suspect, Makeb in chunks, and is possible how F2Per will have to buy it.

Certainly I can think of no great technical reason, and any that may exist (like level cap) will HAVE to be resolved before Makeb goes to early access anyway.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

aeterno's Avatar


aeterno
12.18.2012 , 11:56 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by JackPipsam View Post
It simply doesn't make sense.
LotRO and DDO do this without issue.
If I am not mistaken Everquest expansions can be brought with Station Cash.

My only theory is that they don't want subscribers (us, the people who supported their game) to use our unspent credits and get it without paying extra.
As far as I know about LotRO, SOE discontinued that practice.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.18.2012 , 01:48 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
As far as I know about LotRO, SOE discontinued that practice.
I'm slighly amazed SoE ever game anything to anyone, if EA is copying SoE the game is doomed.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

AllisonBerryman's Avatar


AllisonBerryman
12.18.2012 , 02:16 PM | #40 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
To answer the question posed here about purchasing Rise of the Hutt Cartel:

We'd like to clarify that Rise of the Hutt Cartel will be available for purchase through SWTOR.com/buy only, and there won't be an option to purchase it using Cartel Coins.