Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rule of two is weak an so is Bane.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Rule of two is weak an so is Bane.

ZayneDraay
12.16.2012 , 11:34 AM | #11
Then how did Palpatine beat the Jedi and turn the republic into his empire, gaining Vader as an apprentice? It for sure wasn't being part of a gigantic cult that could be seen from a galaxy away. The Rule of Two is one of the strongest incarnations of the Sith, so you coming down and trashing on it and it's creator is pure nonsense.
Quote: Originally Posted by BurnedRemains View Post
T4R. Bane sucks for making this.
"Those who know me by reputation say I am a creature of the cold darkness, a monster if you will. Now you too shall fear me." - Darth Crios, lord of icy wrath

rashencyberspeed
12.16.2012 , 11:53 AM | #12
I'm not sure what I think of the rule of two. On one hand, it did negate most of the Sith infighting and eventually defeated the republic. On the other hand, it had an extremely critical weakness that the Sith Empire did not, something that Bane overlooked: the possibility of one of the Sith being redeemed. When Darth Vader redeemed himself, it led to the death of both the Emperor and himself, and the Empire along with them. (It's true that Sith could be redeemed in the times of the Sith Empire, but since there was so many Sith, the effects were negligible. With only two Sith, even one redemption is fatal.)

epicfear
12.16.2012 , 12:19 PM | #13
Redemption was always a massive threat to the rule of two, but flying under the radar like the rule called for pretty well negated the chance that the jedi would notice and expend significant effort attempting it. Darth bane acknowledged that the jedi unity was their biggest strength, and lack of unity was the sith's greatest weakness.

He recognized the only way for the sith to survive was the rule of two, in order to slide under the radar of the jedi. Become invisible, basically.
Copy this signature if you believe Timothy Zahn should take over the Star Wars EU

Beniboybling
12.16.2012 , 03:35 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by rashencyberspeed View Post
I'm not sure what I think of the rule of two. On one hand, it did negate most of the Sith infighting and eventually defeated the republic. On the other hand, it had an extremely critical weakness that the Sith Empire did not, something that Bane overlooked: the possibility of one of the Sith being redeemed. When Darth Vader redeemed himself, it led to the death of both the Emperor and himself, and the Empire along with them. (It's true that Sith could be redeemed in the times of the Sith Empire, but since there was so many Sith, the effects were negligible. With only two Sith, even one redemption is fatal.)
Holocrons - other Force users can take up the mantle and reignite the line. e.g. Lumiya and Caedus, although if they had gone into hiding and started again they probably would have been more successful... basically all I'm saying is that the Rule could start again and in another thousand years or two the Sith would control the galaxy once more.

Adelaine
12.16.2012 , 03:42 PM | #15
If not for Bane the Brotherhood of Darkness might have defeated the Jedi and the Republic making the entire peroid that followed meaningless. On top of that it took Bane's order around a 1000 years to win and even then they barely held it for 20 years or so? Compared to even the time period in SWTOR when the Sith Empire holds quite a bit of territory that's just sad.

Then we have a Rakata who held together a Empire fueled by the dark side even longer. Honestly compared to the Old Republic were the darkside users do have their own Empires/have managed to build quite a bit in the past the Bane Order just seems sad. Not to mention stupid since if he had worked with Kaan they could have won there and then instead of wasting 1000 years on plotting.

Rayla_Felana
12.16.2012 , 03:58 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Adelaine View Post
If not for Bane the Brotherhood of Darkness might have defeated the Jedi and the Republic making the entire peroid that followed meaningless. On top of that it took Bane's order around a 1000 years to win and even then they barely held it for 20 years or so? Compared to even the time period in SWTOR when the Sith Empire holds quite a bit of territory that's just sad.

Then we have a Rakata who held together a Empire fueled by the dark side even longer. Honestly compared to the Old Republic were the darkside users do have their own Empires/have managed to build quite a bit in the past the Bane Order just seems sad. Not to mention stupid since if he had worked with Kaan they could have won there and then instead of wasting 1000 years on plotting.
The Brotherhood was weak though, most Dark Lords weren't beyond Sith apprentice level and the Sith under Kaan had basically become stagnant, but the amount of numbers the Sith had still wasn't enough at Ruusan, when Lord Hoth and the others came down on them, they got smashed, that's how Bane convinced Kaan and the rest to use the Thought Bomb in the first place.

BrandonSM
12.16.2012 , 05:29 PM | #17
It brought Sidious. And it brought THE Chosen One to the Dark-Side.

And it would have brought an even stronger Sith(Anakin) if not for Ani's foolishness.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

ForceHoleLAWL
12.16.2012 , 07:38 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by rashencyberspeed View Post
My argument was because Anakin was a Jedi before. All the other Sith in the Rule of Two were potential Force users who had escaped the notice of the Jedi. Anakin on the other hand became a Jedi, and even though he was a Sith Lord for a while there was always that little bit inside of him that was Jedi.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
The Brotherhood was weak though, most Dark Lords weren't beyond Sith apprentice level and the Sith under Kaan had basically become stagnant, but the amount of numbers the Sith had still wasn't enough at Ruusan, when Lord Hoth and the others came down on them, they got smashed, that's how Bane convinced Kaan and the rest to use the Thought Bomb in the first place.
Exactly. The Brotherhood of Darkness was on the losing end, hence Bane's chance to convince Kaan to use the thought bomb. There was no way the Brotherhood would have won.
-We are all MEATBAGS.
-NO bounty is worth dying for.
-Capture by design, Kill by Necessity.
-In the Hunt one captures or kills, never both.

Mawduce
12.17.2012 , 02:10 AM | #19
is everyone forgetting the lost tribe of the sith. there has never been two sith... ever. even sidious had maul when plagious was still alive. plagious killed other sith during his rise. its never happened.
I was made to fly, and you were made to die...

Castiel
12.17.2012 , 11:30 AM | #20
However, The Sith Empire of the old ages was an entire EMPIRE in itself with no republic interference for over thousand years. Sidious' rule lasted for what, less than 30 ?