Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gamasutra: The Burning of Star Wars - The Old Republic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Gamasutra: The Burning of Star Wars - The Old Republic

Urael
12.17.2012 , 11:09 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by sstanks View Post
old article is old
Date of Article. 14 Dec 2012. You're attempts to discredit (and show you didn't read it ) to defend SWTOR actually take away from SWTOR. The Author of the article was brutally honest about what is wrong with SWTOR.

Norke
12.17.2012 , 11:11 AM | #12
Eh, I don't know, most the time what I hear in general chat (outside of the fleet) is the opposite, people are subbing up because they enjoy the game and want their shackles removed. We'll see how long that strategy lasts, but it's working so far..
Norke - Level 50 Sith Juggernaut
Give me Kel Dors or give me death!

DarthFamine
12.17.2012 , 11:11 AM | #13
I stopped reading at 20 person raids.

Heh anyone that can't count is not fit to dish advice
"It might be fear, or anger, or hatred, or perhaps even suffering that makes a man fall to the dark side, but it is without a doubt regret, that keeps him there."
-Darth Famine
www.RJKgaming.com

Urael
12.17.2012 , 11:12 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Norke View Post
Eh, I don't know, most the time what I hear in general chat (outside of the fleet) is the opposite, people are subbing up because they enjoy the game and want their shackles removed. We'll see how long that strategy lasts, but it's working so far..
Which was the point the author was making in his comments about the "coersion to subscribe".

kamed
12.17.2012 , 11:23 AM | #15
Nothing new and I would have to agree that F2P is atrocious and that the author of the article hit it on the nail. F2P is just a marketing tool to draw people into becoming a subscriber, which was what EA intended it to be.

However to the defense of the new F2P system, I have many friends that never tried Swtor and were turned off from it because of the initial cost to buy the game when it came out. After I told them it was F2P and you didnít have to pay to install it, they went ahead and jumped on it. I left them alone for a like a week or 2 and next thing you know some were subscribers and some werenít. I told them to wait until lvl 50 to sub, but they didnít want any of that. Either way they became paying subscribers from this.

But yeah it would be stupid for anyone to pay for all the unlocks considering no one know just how much longer this game will last. If you paid for all the unlocks today for 2 characters, which according to the author of the article was about $180 and the game closes in a year, you would have been better off paying the two 6-month subscriptions and saved about $30 with every feature unlocked.

Urael
12.17.2012 , 11:23 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
You forgot to mention the dizzy logic behind their contention that the $15 subscription fee was too high to retain subscribers... so therefore their solution to that problem is to implement a system that simultaneously lessens the percieved value to subscribers while trying to squeeze more money from us. Genius I say!
Indeed. The author points that out in the article.

NinjaApacHe
12.17.2012 , 11:23 AM | #17
Sometimes I really wonder why people stick on the forums spitting on a game they should leave as they do not like it. You should stop looking for confirmations to your negative thoughts about SWTOR and do not waste your time here. Out here it's full of MMOs, and for sure there will be one that fits you perfectly.,
The Kun Legacy - ToFN
TU'PAKH 60 SW/Mar - YACHIN 60 SI/Sin - A'SHARADD 60 SW/Jug- KAASDAR 60 IA/Op
My referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/NJDcyp

Keskie
12.17.2012 , 11:24 AM | #18
To be fair, this article has been blogged and reposted about on tons of gaming websites already.

I assume that makes it "old" in internet time.

Mallorik
12.17.2012 , 11:26 AM | #19
I would really like to read a true story about the launch of this game, it still amazes me that it could fail so hard with so much money and such a bulletproof ip. And just continue to fail over and over with every new bad idea.

Urael
12.17.2012 , 11:26 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthFamine View Post
I stopped reading at 20 person raids.

Heh anyone that can't count is not fit to dish advice
It is unfortunate that you let something so small as a typo keep you from reading the entire article. The author feels exactly as I do and have been saying on these forums all along. In the end like me, TUXs and others, the author want's SWTOR to succeed. He is just unimpressed with how EAware is going about it.