Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Are commandos supposed to be this squishy?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Are commandos supposed to be this squishy?

A_nonymous's Avatar


A_nonymous
12.17.2012 , 09:57 AM | #1
I thought I had a pretty decent build TBH. I was at level 41 and had 3000 armor and was not having any problems. I'm specced DPS. Dorne was healing me and I was laying the hurt on the bad guys and it had been that way since Taris. No issues. Then I hit the end of chapter 2.

Spoiler


So I guess my question is whether commando is supposed to be squishy if there's not a healer around. Running DPS with another DPS companion or a tank companion sucks hard. I feel like if I don't have a healer there's no room for error in a fight. If I don't manage everything perfectly (take out the weaker enemies first, stun the higher level ones, use interrupts on the strong attacks, not the weak ones, use a medpack at the right time if appropriate, watch my companions health and heal them appropriately, use high damage/high ammo attacks at every single chance, etc....) I'll get wiped is what I feel like. With a healer I feel like that's not the case and I can take a more rounded approach. Yes, somethings you still want to do (like stunning the strong enemy and then taking out the adds), but if I screw up and accidentally stun a weak enemy instead of the strong one he's protecting I'm not guaranteeing a wipe.

I'm told by some that I should've gone Vanguard for DPS because they're not as squishy. Is that the case? Or am I playing wrong?
Gunwalker Legacy FTW.

nbayer's Avatar


nbayer
12.17.2012 , 10:28 AM | #2
What level is the quest recommended for?

I can tell you for sure that you don't need to change your spec, or use a healer. I played the entire campaign as dps with 4X as my companion and it was fine, and that was before we even had an interrupt.

Are you using your mez to start the harder encounters? concussive round I think, it's puts a guy to sleep for 60 seconds. Also make sure you or your companion does not wake him up, I turned off all aoe abilities on 4X.

Kill the weakest targets first, remember that sticky grenade and full auto both will stun a weak target. I usually throw the sticky at one guy and full auto another so they cannot do damage to me during that time.

Use your knockback on melee enemies, every bit of time they spend not damaging you is going to help.

Keep in mind your heroic moment ability resets the cooldown on cryo grenade as well as heals you over time.

Use your shield and adrenaline rush, they make a big difference.

A_nonymous's Avatar


A_nonymous
12.17.2012 , 01:47 PM | #3
I usually start my attack thusly.

Scout out the mob. Find the one who hits the hardest (strong or elite usually) and stun that guy w/the 60 second stun.

Single out the weakest enemies and open a can on them. Full Auto and mortar shells all the way. Work up to the next weakest. Hit them with grav rounds, full auto, charged bolt, etc... mixing in the odd hammer shot 'til no one is standing except the stunned strong/elite guy. I've found through painful experience that using a mortar shell anywhere close to the stunned guy will wake him up.

Open up on him w/a mortar volley. If he's an elite I'll usually fire up my shield first. Hit him w/interrupts when he tries to pull off his strongest attacks. Him him with a rotation of grav rounds, charged bolts, mortar shells and full auto.

This doesn't work when I don't have a healer though as I usually draw way, way, way too much aggro. Then I die.

The mission in question was a level 41 mission and I was level 41 while running it.
Gunwalker Legacy FTW.

MarshalNeyo's Avatar


MarshalNeyo
12.17.2012 , 02:27 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by A_nonymous View Post
I usually start my attack thusly.

Scout out the mob. Find the one who hits the hardest (strong or elite usually) and stun that guy w/the 60 second stun.

Single out the weakest enemies and open a can on them. Full Auto and mortar shells all the way. Work up to the next weakest. Hit them with grav rounds, full auto, charged bolt, etc... mixing in the odd hammer shot 'til no one is standing except the stunned strong/elite guy. I've found through painful experience that using a mortar shell anywhere close to the stunned guy will wake him up.

Open up on him w/a mortar volley. If he's an elite I'll usually fire up my shield first. Hit him w/interrupts when he tries to pull off his strongest attacks. Him him with a rotation of grav rounds, charged bolts, mortar shells and full auto.

This doesn't work when I don't have a healer though as I usually draw way, way, way too much aggro. Then I die.

The mission in question was a level 41 mission and I was level 41 while running it.
If you're drawing too much aggro, then pop diversion. This ability is key in pve as a healer or in your case, dps drawing too much aggro from mobs. You should know what diversion does but I'll tell you what it is anyway. Diversion has a 45 second cooldown and when you use it, it reduces your threat towards all current enemies. So if you start pulling too much aggro, just pop this and the npc will more than likely start attacking your comp. Pop a heal or two on your comp then restart your rotation. Also, if I remember correctly, Yuun and VIk have taunts so keep their quickbar open and select their taunts when needed.
"Founder" of SWTOR
"Taco's for All, Death for Everyone Else."

A_nonymous's Avatar


A_nonymous
12.17.2012 , 02:50 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MarshalNeyo View Post
If you're drawing too much aggro, then pop diversion. This ability is key in pve as a healer or in your case, dps drawing too much aggro from mobs. You should know what diversion does but I'll tell you what it is anyway. Diversion has a 45 second cooldown and when you use it, it reduces your threat towards all current enemies. So if you start pulling too much aggro, just pop this and the npc will more than likely start attacking your comp. Pop a heal or two on your comp then restart your rotation. Also, if I remember correctly, Yuun and VIk have taunts so keep their quickbar open and select their taunts when needed.
When I play in groups I don't have the problem drawing too much aggro. When I play with a healer it's fine. It's what I'm supposed to do. I'm supposed to draw aggro and the healer keeps me alive. When I play with a non-healer toon it's a problem as my companions are at one extreme or another. Vik draws aggro from everyone. And then gets squashed. So I have to heal him which is completely different than how I am used to playing. Yuun draws no aggro at all so I take a huge butt kicking and he takes no damage. I feel like I have to alter my play style completely and even then I feel like a take a whole lot more damage than I should.
Gunwalker Legacy FTW.

Lyability's Avatar


Lyability
12.17.2012 , 03:09 PM | #6
I had a hard time with TV and Yuun and my deal was because I never used them and they were equipped with crap gear. I know you said you crafted them gear but I did too and their gear still sucked.

Spoiler

Aaoogaa's Avatar


Aaoogaa
12.17.2012 , 05:10 PM | #7
While we are not as stout as we used to be you should not be having trouble if you are using all of your skills.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

A_nonymous's Avatar


A_nonymous
12.17.2012 , 06:18 PM | #8
Clearly I'm doing something wrong then. I shouldn't have to heal from 25% health every single mob fight. I should be able to move on to the next mob without having to pause to heal.
Gunwalker Legacy FTW.

oaceen's Avatar


oaceen
12.17.2012 , 06:24 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by A_nonymous View Post
Clearly I'm doing something wrong then. I shouldn't have to heal from 25% health every single mob fight. I should be able to move on to the next mob without having to pause to heal.
that is not true at all. you didn't have so much downtime before because you were using a healer companion.

Aaoogaa's Avatar


Aaoogaa
12.17.2012 , 08:54 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by A_nonymous View Post
Clearly I'm doing something wrong then. I shouldn't have to heal from 25% health every single mob fight. I should be able to move on to the next mob without having to pause to heal.
Heals are part of your skills, you should be using them. You should be CCing the toughest mob and killing mobs from easiest to toughest to mitigate a large portion of damage you are taking. With the large number of abilities that CC as well as kill you should not be having to much issue.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.