Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How can anyone take the empire seriously?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
How can anyone take the empire seriously?

Lium
12.17.2012 , 01:34 AM | #1
My main is a 50 sentinel and has been since I've been playing SWTOR. Recently, however, I've started playing a marauder so I can experience the other side of the story. And as I'm leveling up and doing all the quests, I keep thinking, "How can anyone take the empire seriously?"

I know this is Star Wars and other than Anakin and Revan most evil in the universe is pretty cartoonish. But just from a strategic standpoint, most of the thinking of the imperial officers, Sith Lords and Grand Moffs are beyond silly. I've heard a lot that part of the reason the empire has more players is because the stories are better.

Really? When?

Because even though I'm having fun playing my marauder, the writing is really after school cartoon quality. Maybe it's because I'm playing a Sith and not an agent or a bounty hunter. I hear that the IA story is one of the best in the game. While the Force users have really hokey stories.

I can believe that. Because as I said before, I'm left wondering how anyone can take the empire seriously at all.

WhillB
12.17.2012 , 01:37 AM | #2
Well lets see... If you don't go along with them you are likely to be killed... so....

lollie
12.17.2012 , 01:46 AM | #3
Wait - we take games seriously...?

CAUTION: DO NOT LOAD SWTOR UNLESS YOU HAVE AFTER-MARKET COOLING INSTALLED!!

GalacticKegger
12.17.2012 , 02:05 AM | #4
I have a 50 Marauder and am leveling a 41 Juggernaut. The sith warrior stories can be downright diabolical if you play them like a true evil protagonist. (Contradiction? ... oh yeah!)
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

Laris_Rai
12.17.2012 , 02:07 AM | #5
The Empire are taken seriously because they whipped the Republic's butt. They trashed the center of galactic civilization and the best the Republic could do was keep things together enough that the Empire offered them a crappy peace deal since, despite their best efforts, the Empire just wasn't ready to take the whole of the Republic.

However, as is pointed out by several people in game, the Empire is pretty much a house of cards that will eventually fall. And they're proven right.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

VegaPhone
12.17.2012 , 02:11 AM | #6
Its about the concept of a person having power to control others. Its a realism perspective.

The powerful do as they please and the weak follow. However, its not total anarchy, its more organized and with a goal that becomes mutual. This also ties in with the realism perspective, and how there are no friends but only people with mutual interests.

If you do not accept the force as something that is powerful enough to control others then either the story was not convincing enough to prove that point or you lack the ability to believe in such things. Probably due to browsing the internet too long and reading too many witty atheistic and skeptical comments that they leave a person without imagination or sense of belief to play along with anything.

The republic is more about being responsible with that power. And also how that responsibility borders on certain hypocrisy but because the force is so powerful certain things have to be done to control it and fight the opposing side, the empire as well.

HammersteinSW
12.17.2012 , 02:44 AM | #7
Empire...lol.

All they have is a crappy small city on a jungle planet, which would blow up if they don't keep a 24/7 watch on their lightning spires. Plus they can't go anywhere since major portions of their own planet are now controlled by rebelling slaves, a rogue Sith lord, an invading mercenary army and a bunch of angry Mandalorians.

I wonder how they can ever get something done, when they can't even control their homeworld ?!

Marak
12.17.2012 , 02:56 AM | #8
I have finished 6/8 of the class stories.

I would rank them thusly:
IA > SW > Smuggler > SI > JK > JC.

Empire stories are just better. You say afternoon cartoon? JK is the very definition of cliche afternoon cartoon. JC tried to go the more mature route but fell flat on keeping it interesting. IA is good enough to be its own full feature film. SW is amazing if you actually RP it (by that I mean making choices based on the situation and not full dark or full light). If you just mash the dark button it's cheesy.

Although I tend to agree that the overarching empire bits leave a lot to be desired.
Cag - Juggernaut | V'ae - Sorcerer | V'ay - Mercenary
<The Jyse Legacy (50)> | Jedi Covenant
Aenik - Assassin | Vhay - Operative | K'rie - Sniper | Vhae - Marauder

discbox
12.17.2012 , 03:00 AM | #9
BioWare thinks the player feels more awesome by making all npc complete idiots. But they are wrong.

darklordpotter
12.17.2012 , 03:30 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by HammersteinSW View Post
Empire...lol.

All they have is a crappy small city on a jungle planet, which would blow up if they don't keep a 24/7 watch on their lightning spires. Plus they can't go anywhere since major portions of their own planet are now controlled by rebelling slaves, a rogue Sith lord, an invading mercenary army and a bunch of angry Mandalorians.

I wonder how they can ever get something done, when they can't even control their homeworld ?!
Yes because the Republic has such amazing control of their homeworld the senate tower nearly gets destroyed by a bunch of low life crooks that's much more impressive right?

I do agree the whole slave rebellion thing is just as pathetic but gameplay / story segregation is your friend here.