Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

SWTOR should've been a RPG


siegedeluxe's Avatar


siegedeluxe
12.16.2012 , 05:01 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Petnil View Post
One of the nice thing in later wow (havent tried pandaria) was the phased events. Could easily have been done in swtor too. after finishing planetary questline you would phase to "planet2" where bonus quests would be. It helped moving the story forward in the areas.

And yes. SWTOR miss some mmo features.. itīs small things that you might not notice at first, but when you log into GW2 ex. the world feels more alive. Itīs the tiny things like when you walk onto a farmground and the chickens go cluck cluck. Itīs too bad i like swtor better. Much of the fluff things is just done better in other mmoīs. And lets face it. mmoīs needs loads of fluff. Itīs not like a singleplayer game you play once, if itīs good you might replay a few times. People spend so much more time in a mmo that more fluff just pays off.
Yeah and SWTOR lacks that fluff. The single player feature dominates almost everything else in this game, which is REALLY BAD.

FeelFlow's Avatar


FeelFlow
12.16.2012 , 05:05 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by siegedeluxe View Post
Yeah and SWTOR lacks that fluff. The single player feature dominates almost everything else in this game, which is REALLY BAD.
It's really interesting that you get two really different perspectives on the game from the MMO and RPG crowd.

Essentially, I think that BW thought that they could marry both elements but (arguably) weren't able to. It was too big an undertaking in the end, I bet. The parts just wouldn't mesh together properly leaving a game that didn't satisfy both MMO and RPG fans.

I still love the stories in the game though - however, you can see what it could've been if it had been a true successor to KOTOR. Ah well.

Blarpped's Avatar


Blarpped
12.16.2012 , 05:24 PM | #23
Full disclosure: I never played a Bioware single player game.

I think the storyline is great, but the gameplay sucks. It's too disjointed. I can't be given an epic story and then be told to go kill 10 rats. It just doesn't work. Was the gameplay in KOTOR compelling and exciting or was it the same garbage? How about the other Bioware games?

I can go play Deus Ex: Human Revolution that has a great story and great gameplay. As a single player game, TOR fails. Good story alone does not make a good video game.

redsovereign's Avatar


redsovereign
12.16.2012 , 05:24 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by siegedeluxe View Post
What separates SWTOR from WoW is that it's about orcs and elves. What makes wow so nice to play is the features it has and how stable the game is compared to SWTOR. I stopped playing wow last week because blizzard mentality is "raid or die". I might continue playing WoW if they implemented 10 mans in LFR WITHOUT the nerfs. Some people, like me, got weird work hours and can't dedicate themselves to a guild, which mostly raid at hours when I work.

If they added some of the features that wow has and fix the mirage of bugs and performance issues (client and server), I would be pretty happy overall. However, I would like to see more emotes, mini games like pazaak and addons. It's small things like these that kept me hooked to wow, and probably would hook me more to swtor.

But the ultimate killer for me is the class story. If they don't have any plans to expand this then I'm going to stop playing because that is what I enjoy the most in this game.
I disagree, I tried WoW again when MOP came out and damn man... that game did not age well... Blizz trying to do thing with it that the engine was never supposed to do.. its just a ******** of **** nowadays and I don't mind the pandas and the cutesy stuf.

"If they added some of the features that wow has" again what is this? What WoW has is 2 things; Really good endgame pvp and PvE gear tier raids. Thats it!

Do you want the pokemon game?

"mini games like pazaak and addons." would be nice but for how long and for how many? I also would love some things of my own added but I realize that its things that not everyone want to see and when development costs a huge jack of money you have to add things that ppl will make use of.

Pazaak and stuf like housing and that is just 2 things; 1 fluff content to delay the game 2 grind (esp houses).

So if they add minigames then you would be happy with TOR?

I'd say that the most important things is to do what you typed in your post: fix the bugs and the server stability a.k.a lag.
"Mandalorians Don't make threats. We make promises."

redsovereign's Avatar


redsovereign
12.16.2012 , 05:30 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by FeelFlow View Post
Thanks for the post!

OK, I essentially mean an enhanced version of KOTOR:

Story driven

I think that the need to keep the story part of an MMO meant that BW couldn't script the stories or change their direction, significantly. In that respect, there are so many moments where you say or do something not very nice/good and it's pretty much forgotten by the next sentence.

Having a single player game would've allowed for jaw-dropping plot changing experiences i.e. kill/save someone, choose an action etc. which would then completely change the direction of the game.

It would've enabled highly scripted set-pieces too i.e. what we know as Flash Points now could've been made crucial to your class story.

Companion classes could've been bigger and interwoven with the class (and stories from each planet). Again, what you did to your companions could have had significant consequences in the game (i.e. like KOTOR).

Combat
I take your point re. Mass Effect. Well a game has got to be fun. I was never a fan of the paused combat in KOTOR - perhaps what we have now in the game i.e. real time combat (but probably simpler classes and skill trees i.e. it's not an MMO in this alternate reality).

So I guess in the end I mean KOTOR style story mixed with real time MMO style combat.
Agree with a lot of the things you talk about in your post however you could for example kill off you companions in the beta, however ofc all the kiddos killed off all their companions and then complained and QQed that they had no companions left so Bioware changed it.

But yes I agree with that in esp some story lines there is a continuity problem with your actions not having enough impact of what happens next.

Personally I like that TOR is a mmorpg because having other ppl running around that I can interact with makes the game feel more alive to me, that was my problem with KOTOR; when you were done you were done and since u were the only living being around the areas became very static.

Same problem in Mass Effect, I think that Bethesda is on a good way of fixing it with Skyrim but tavernas still need random drunks and more dancing, stuf going on for it to feel alive. Everyone just kinda sits around not hitting on each other or anything.
There was a awesome tavern mod for Morrowind were ppl were dancing, playing instruments, ppl were rumbling around with a custom "drunk walk". It was awesome and it really felt like a real fantasy taverna. Chaotic
"Mandalorians Don't make threats. We make promises."

Andar's Avatar


Andar
12.16.2012 , 05:30 PM | #26
Player housing, ON PLANET, in player built communities. Enough said.

tolaf's Avatar


tolaf
12.16.2012 , 05:32 PM | #27
My only problem with TOR is that, it's only an "ok" a single player game or MMO, when it could have been either a greet single-player game, or a great MMO, seems they just couldn't do both
Dark Nova leader of the Sin-gie clan

Taorus's Avatar


Taorus
12.16.2012 , 05:33 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Andar View Post
Player housing, ON PLANET, in player built communities. Enough said.
Ya...That worked out so well in SWG. SWG is dead.

redsovereign's Avatar


redsovereign
12.16.2012 , 05:33 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Petnil View Post
One of the nice thing in later wow (havent tried pandaria) was the phased events. Could easily have been done in swtor too. after finishing planetary questline you would phase to "planet2" where bonus quests would be. It helped moving the story forward in the areas.

And yes. SWTOR miss some mmo features.. itīs small things that you might not notice at first, but when you log into GW2 ex. the world feels more alive. Itīs the tiny things like when you walk onto a farmground and the chickens go cluck cluck. Itīs too bad i like swtor better. Much of the fluff things is just done better in other mmoīs. And lets face it. mmoīs needs loads of fluff. Itīs not like a singleplayer game you play once, if itīs good you might replay a few times. People spend so much more time in a mmo that more fluff just pays off.
This is not a fact in anyway. GW2 does it way worse for me. You can't state that "GW2 feels alive and TOR doesn't" because that is just an opinion.
GW1 felt way more alive for me then GW2 did esp Nightfall felt very very alive. But again that is a personal opinion not a fact.

"Could easily have been done in TOR"

Again you don't know this and I don't either. Have any of us worked with the hero engine? You state things like they are facts when you lack the proper knowledge to keep slamming opinions around.
"Mandalorians Don't make threats. We make promises."

Andar's Avatar


Andar
12.16.2012 , 05:41 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Taorus View Post
Ya...That worked out so well in SWG. SWG is dead.
LOL ya because player housing was totally the reason the game was shut down. Fail post is fail.
This game won't make it as long as galaxies lasted. Fact.