Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

QwibQwib
12.16.2012 , 11:11 AM | #2401
@Ereiniel, “My lord, I … ah … hot pants?” Marvelous.

@almostinsane, I figured that love was actually a pretty useful emotion for a Sith. After all, they're all about passion. What could be more passionate than love, lust, jealousy, envy, etc. Love's all about powerful emotions! But as for parents, that direction you took is rather Sith-y. The Inquisitor line has a lot to do with family (at least so far), so I was surprised that the warrior one hasn't.

@Striges, I actually think that the tense and perspective really suit the situation. It really conveys a sense of being overwhelmed.

@Tatile, those two stories caused my heart to go hnnnnrgh. The first one, because of how it ended and the second one because of the adorbs. My heart goes out to Broan.

And thanks for your comment, I'm glad you liked it! Though it's too bad the best line got censored. But if that didn't get in, there's no way I could write about what happened in that taxi
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

Tatile
12.16.2012 , 11:15 AM | #2402
Quote: Originally Posted by QwibQwib View Post
And thanks for your comment, I'm glad you liked it! Though it's too bad the best line got censored. But if that didn't get in, there's no way I could write about what happened in that taxi
Tumblr. Tumblr is your friend~

Speaking of, I should probably use my Tumblr for something.

iamthehoyden
12.16.2012 , 12:34 PM | #2403
Ereiniel - Omg, Captain Hot Pants - too funny! Your sw is fun

almostinsane - Xerxes and Vette's interaction is interesting, and I often think of Vette as terrier-like, so her constant poking and proding made perfect sense.

Striges - Jurial's connection with the Force is beautiful, as is how he values life. Beautiful.

Tatile - "No, you're my weird peach man." So damn cute.

QwibQwib - Welcome! A Sith who's a happy drunk - funny and a very welcome addition!

First Day

Those Left Behind
bh - Skari & Crae
no spoilers
Spoiler

Author's Note:
Spoiler
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

irishfino
12.16.2012 , 01:27 PM | #2404
Finally getting to replies! Doop.

Quote: Originally Posted by thatghost View Post
I am formally holding you responsible for sending tea through my nasal passages and out onto my keyboard- ew but not sure why this line cracked me up the way it did. It just seems so Pierce-like
Pierce can’t help it. He can be awesome. Sometimes. It’s on his dossier.

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Fino, aw. Ald being domestic.
Ald loves cooking and playing host. It’s something Inusitus focused on to get Ald to stop being such a wild child.

Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Fino - the meal times with the Fury crew are so family-like; ok, a dysfunctional family, but still, they're adorably domestic
So… they’re a normal family? [snickers]

Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
@ Fino: Just one big, almost happy, kind-of-getting-along group of people sharing meals. Fun ensues.
Just like any other family gathering.

Quote: Originally Posted by LogicLoup View Post
@irishfino - I'm intrigued. As nice as it is to see Ald and the crew being a (mostly) functional family, the whole thing seems just a little... weird. Vette, Pierce, and Quinn as an effective combat team? Vette being civil to Quinn? Quinn not just noticing but actively pleased by Vette's happiness? What is this strangely endearing sorcery?
In combat, it is important to put your differences aside. In a group of three, if one goes down, that is a third of your man power. If Pierce goes down, that’s at least half. They focus on the fighting, not so much the (to put it mildly) dislike of one another. As soon as the mission is complete, it’s business as usual.

As for Quinn, he’s not so much pleased by Vette’s happiness as he is pleased by the fact that she’s talking to Ald. There’s a part I haven’t written yet, but things get tense on the Fury for a long period of time. Ald considered Vette a friend and when she stops talking to him it hurts him dearly. This hurt bothers Quinn more than anything since he is an indirect cause of it. Once she starts talking to Ald again, progress in repairing their friendship starts and Ald is in a better mood which means Quinn can relax just a tad. He and Ald are not back together at this point, but his happiness is still important to Quinn.

Quote: Originally Posted by Irrissa View Post

@ Fino. - Ald & Quinn.. I don't think I need to say more
Nope.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Quinn and Ald require more study time, I should say. Perhaps you should make them study partners?
Oh, they will have more study time. It might not make its way on to the forum, perhaps on that site for deviants such as myself. We’ll see.

And I’ll tell you.

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
@irishfino, you wrote someone calling Quinn boring. Color me astonished.
[pulls out a color chart] What color is that? :P

Quote: Originally Posted by LogicLoup View Post
@irishfino - I like that Ald goes into this realising fully that Quinn is a plant, but decides to play the game through just to see what's underneath.
At this point, Quinn is useful for his skills and he seems to be fairly interesting. No point in killing him. Yet. >.> <.<

Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
@ Irishfino: Interesting first impressions, especially given how their story goes later.
First impressions are important to establishing roles in the beginning of any friendship/partnership/job. They set the stage for later judgment and can be rewritten, albeit painfully in some cases. Quinn’s first few dealings with Ald shape how he sets his calculations. Ald, on the other hand, is open to the idea of there being more to the officer and is far more flexible than Quinn is when his first view isn’t his only view. Fun times are to be had.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

Ereiniel
12.16.2012 , 01:45 PM | #2405
@Fino: Totally agree with Ald on his first impressions. Quinn's so sexy when he's mad. Why so serious? I liked seeing their first impressions of each other, knowing how they end up. I wish we could've at least asked Quinn why he chose to come with us when he supposedly had the pick of the entire galaxy, because it was so freaking transparent - but like Ald said, at least he's cute ...

@Kabe: I'm not quite finished with the JK storyline (she's L44), so I was a bit hesitant to read your story with its spoiler caveat - but I'm very glad I did. I absolutely loved the Saresh Drinking Game. Every time that holo in the Taris spaceport turned on, I wanted to change the channel to The Real Housewives of Coruscant or something. (I hate how the voice follows me out of the spaceport, if I leave before she's done talking - I'll be standing in the middle of Olaris and then I hear "TOGETHER!" and it freaks me out.)

- I really liked how Remi and Lord Scourge, after all was said and done, were able to give each other a purpose to move forward. Who knows, maybe Scourge will
Spoiler

@Striges: It's an interesting point that Andalar didn't join the Great Hunt, sacrificing honor for honor - prestige for principle. There are so few bounty hunters who operate mainly on principle, and it's refreshing to see that some of them strive to do their jobs with honor. I liked Rixik's reaction to his decision to do that, but I would ask, do "honorable" and "reasonable, intelligent, and practical" have to necessarily be mutually exclusive? Andalar's a good foil for Rixik - they complement each other, but I can see why Rixik would consider him a threat to his survival, and (presumably) vice versa.

- I loved the balance Jurial struck between fighting and contemplation - doing both for what he believed was right. I especially loved his conversation with the captain at the end - it's a very important lesson for all of us to remember, that it's not how long you've been in a certain position, it's how you conduct yourself and how you use the qualities you possess that make you worthy of holding that position. I'm a recent law school graduate, so I can really sympathize with Jurial's point of view. I'll definitely remember what he said in the coming months.

@almostinsane: I love how Vette was able to see in Xerxes the things he couldn't (or wouldn't) see in himself. He really seemed to be set on fulfilling the traditional Sith 'archetype' that he was willing to ignore, or change, who he really was - and I'm glad Vette was able to begin to show him that he didn't have to be a stereotypical Sith to fulfill the Sith ideals. Vette's much better at reading people than I'm sure most would give her credit for, and her comments, from what little she's seen so far of Xerxes, were very perceptive.

@Tatile: Aw, Broan/Rochester <3. It's such a great follow-up to your last story. I'm glad we get to see how far he's come from that day at the club, and that he's happier now.

Also,
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I have a terrible habit of ending these shorts on speech.
I totally do the same thing! I find that it makes for a great ending.

@QwibQwib: Welcome! Kaaste is a hilarious drunk!Sith, and Briel's quiet amusement at Kaaste's antics while still being deferential was great. Wonder what will happen with them (or if Kaaste will wake up tomorrow and not remember what happened, or how he got home). I look forward to seeing more of them in the future!

@Hoyden: Oh, Crae. Even from the beginning he's quietly examining, probing, prying. Devious joy at finding out other people's secrets that they find difficult to talk about, and are probably telling him in confidence. I really enjoyed seeing how he and Skari began their alliance (if that's in fact what it is ...). Here we go again with me wanting to believe that he means well - and this time, by the end, I almost believe it. Almost.
The Girard Legacy The Shadowlands
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge
Forever Shenanigans!

Tatile
12.16.2012 , 02:09 PM | #2406
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post

First Day

Those Left Behind
bh - Skari & Crae
no spoilers
I feel for Skari, but stop making me want to like Crae! He's so damn creepy all the time D:<

bright_ephemera
12.16.2012 , 03:18 PM | #2407
The character index linked in my sig is up to date!

@Ereinel, Eryn!Quinn is going to have a very, very bad time of it, isn't he...

@almostinsane, good to see you back! Did your consular Zantel ever get going to pry his brother Teague out from Imp hands? As for Xerxes...Vette's a pushy broad, isn't she? (The answer is yes. The answer is always yes.) I got a laugh out of Big Daddy Sith and Big Mommy Sith hooking up a power coupling to make baby Xerxes.

@Striges, Jurial's voice works, and I like it. I love, love, love at the end, the implications of his having the writings of the Warrior-Poet. (Ugh, quest description but I don't have the quest text ready to hand.)

@Tatile, I wonder whether that nagging feeling will always be there for outcast minorities. Like, sure, I made it, but...even the people close to me must recognize I'm just an alien.

@Qwib, I loved this! Sith can, of course, be absolutely blunt about a great many things, including matters of great political delicacy...it's just somehow a hundred times funnier if they're dead drunk while holding forth on the subject. I applaud Briel staying so very aware through what could've ended very badly.

Quote: Originally Posted by QwibQwib View Post
Spoiler
I'm still giggling uncontrollably over this.

@iamthehoyden, Crae, having run his prey ragged, finally closes. I like how proud he is of it.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Ereiniel
12.16.2012 , 06:01 PM | #2408
First Day on the Job

Varenne, Torian, and the beginning of a beautiful friendship. This takes place three years after the first part of my Teachers and Heroes entry. Some minor BH Taris spoilers. 850 words.

--

A Dubious Endorsement
Spoiler
The Girard Legacy The Shadowlands
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge
Forever Shenanigans!

iamthehoyden
12.17.2012 , 08:52 AM | #2409
Quote: Originally Posted by Ereiniel View Post
First Day on the Job

Varenne, Torian, and the beginning of a beautiful friendship. This takes place three years after the first part of my Teachers and Heroes entry. Some minor BH Taris spoilers. 850 words.
Oh how cute is this! Plus this all makes for a really interesting backstory for your bh. Really cool
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Striges
12.17.2012 , 09:10 AM | #2410
@ Almostinsane: Vette is not OOC:
Spoiler
absolute Vette.

Vette and Xerxes are going to be an interesting pair, I think. Assuming, of course, that Vette’s curiosity doesn’t end up getting her into big trouble. You do illustrate that a person doesn’t have to model the behavior he’s been shown, and I like that Vette is the one to observe that about Xerxes.

@ Tatile: “My weird peach man”. I love turning the “alien” epithet on its head—to another species, humans are aliens and everything we consider within the range of normal is odd. But I also like the other gulf you show here. Between Sith and non-Sith in the Empire. I can’t help but suspect that’s going to be an ongoing issue for those two.

Rixik’s scar: two words. Chick Magnet. But mostly arrogance and an unwillingness to let a mercenary street doc mess with his face. He also uses it as a marker in reverse, keeping his face concealed (helmets and such) when he doesn’t want to be seen.

@ QwibQwib: Welcome to the thread! Drunk Sith are great, even if the profanity filter caught a great line. Also fun to have your Agent trying to maintain composure, walking a fine line between indulging a drunk (possibly even more unpredictable than usual) Sith and sedition.

@Iamthehoyden: Oh, Skari. Sad…and then I see Crae filing this information away for use later. Hopefully for a nice use, but you never know.

@ Ereiniel: I really like how your characters are so tied in with the story as presented. Also how your BH has a longer relationship with Torian than the game shows, how she already knows about Blood, or has an inkling. Really fun to read.

To Rixik’s eye, “intelligent, practical, and/or reasonable” are exclusive with “honorable” because honor requires a person to consider how others perceive you, for good or ill. Honor constrains your actions for an artificial constructed rule. Rixik barely follows rules with obvious consequences (laws), so conforming to some made-up rules with no obvious consequences is stupid. Survival and opportunity are his two main drivers, and he doesn’t have much use for anything that gets in his way.