Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina
12.15.2012 , 04:46 AM | #4071
Welcome to the thread! Your English and spelling are just fine from what I can see. Trust me, native speakers do much worse.

I've gotten some rest and some perspective after some things happened yesterday, so I'd be happy to address your post.

There is a large FAQ in my signature, but I'll try to sum up parts of it for ya.

That OP is long since outdated and no longer relevant to the thread. It was decided back in March that it would be treated the same way as the current romances in the game. In short, there would be no extra filters or such just for same gender romance.

It'll be the same way it was for me with Quinn. I started the romance with him at first. After a certain part in the game I grew to really dislike him, so I ended it. The flirts did pop up twice after that, so I used the choice BioWare had already given me.

I just didn't pick that conversation option. So that's more or less how BioWare is going to continue to approach the game as far as we are aware.

This is going by what BioWare has told us in the past.

As far as any details (whether or not this would be for toons for above or below 50, who will the SGR options be, is it coming with new or current companions, can everyone have access to them, ect ect,) has not been addressed clearly at any point.

You're currently reading either incarnation #8 or #9 for this thread. Since the OP in January, it's been over 2,000 pages with over 30,000 posts.

As of the Guild Summit in March, they had stated it was coming. I can dig up the quotes and video links for you if you'd like. Those comments were made by Daniel Erickson, who is no longer with the company. He had also stated that they are not going to do pronoun swapping.

There has not been a single official word about SGRs since then. We've tried literally every single way you can think of to contact any current employee to come and speak about this matter.

Rather curiously, on October 15th, there was an article published by gamesindustry.biz that had EA talking at length about how proud they were to include LGBT content for that community.

However, they allowed the assumption that SGRs were already in ToR to be published. The posters here, including myself, had to write to the editor to get it fixed. There is a correction notice at the bottom of the article as a result.

As of November 30, I became aware that the American organization known as GLAAD had approached BioWare regarding this content before. GLAAD stands for Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

They had talked about helping the ToR playerbase get the first answer about SGRs back in September of last year.

Between the weird silence, the article and then the Livestream, many of us felt we were being used by the company for good public relations. So we began to write to GLAAD as well as several gaming sites. It's starting to pay off.

As of December 5, we got our first reply back from GLAAD via Facebook. A couple of days later, we got one from the same site as the article, saying that they had contacted BioWare about this.

If you go back about 20 or so pages, it'll catch you up to speed on a lot of these comments.

Late last night (in the US) I wrote to another site called swtorstrategies.com They got back to me right away, expressing an interest in doing an article about this. If all goes well, then I'll be making sure that every gaming site that might care has a link to the article.

I also sent a follow up letter to GLAAD as well last night. Within 10 1/2 hours, they had gotten back to me, stating that BioWare was aware of this issue and that GLAAD will continue to pursue the matter early next year. However, they did also state that they felt we'll get an answer soon.

Right now, after all of that, I know it'll be a little while before we'll hear an official and pubic statement from BioWare regarding this. Simply put, they're giving the employees lighter holidays this year, especially after last year's breakneck pace as the game launched.

If you'd like to see all that we have to date (except for the very recent responses from the press and from GLAAD,) I would recommend you check out the FAQ linked on my signature. It'll have quotes and links for just about every common question about the history of the thread as well as the history of SGRs in the game up to this point.

I appreciate the support. We'll try to get an answer soon.

Most of us don't want to hurt or crush the game. We don't want to have this come before any serious bug fixes, such as the infamous 32-bit memory leak and game crash. We're just after an answer now.

I don't want to hurt the company either. I do want BW-Austin to be adhered to the same standards as BW-Edmonton, which created all those great games.

Lent_San
12.15.2012 , 12:36 PM | #4072
Been replaying the first cutscene for smuggler...

Ok, Corso needs to become a SGR option for sure.

Palar
12.15.2012 , 04:13 PM | #4073
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Been replaying the first cutscene for smuggler...

Ok, Corso needs to become a SGR option for sure.
"Got a name, kid?" Went through that scene back in March, so maybe my memory is off, but I had the impression even M.Smug thought so... perhaps the constant cinematic freezing (I think it took 9 goes of 'mashing my spacebar before giving up and playing a different character' to end the awkward pauses) was the coding dumping a bucket of water on him. "Bad character, that's a (distant) post-launch feature!"

*Or was it my Beta weekend that had the freezing? Eh, close enough.

Lent_San
12.15.2012 , 08:45 PM | #4074
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
... was the coding dumping a bucket of water on him. "Bad character, that's a (distant) post-launch feature!"
Lol, indeed. Argh, it's so annoying, having to wait with no idea how it's gonna turn out.

DarkTrooperV
12.16.2012 , 06:14 AM | #4075
To all of you supporting this:
I'm so glad to see so much support. Keep it up. Natasha, keep up your good work. The fire rises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAj3bFTRMDQ

PS: Ok, not exactly Star Wars. But it fits!
The Joker: They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve.

Tatile
12.16.2012 , 06:53 AM | #4076
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTrooperV View Post
To all of you supporting this:
I'm so glad to see so much support. Keep it up. Natasha, keep up your good work. The fire rises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAj3bFTRMDQ

PS: Ok, not exactly Star Wars. But it fits!
Needs more Anne Hathaway

Arvig
12.16.2012 , 08:36 AM | #4077
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
First, the only Evan Thomsen-s I found was a high school kid and a professional fitness trainer. Whomever this guy is, he's a passionate fan but alas, does not work for EAware.

Secondly, for those that didn't see, I got gamesindustrybiz.com (games industry International) to respond to this matter last night.

So that's another route we can take. Make sure you send out the messages and emails to them as well. They are the site that has the now-infamous EA/Zynga article that we edited, so I listened to my gut and wrote them. Glad I did.

Third, I've literally gotten that exact same CSR message about the Guild Summit when I came back to the game in September. After the Livestream, I would take that with the smallest grain of salt. I'm not trying to be negative, but I saw Uluain get the exact same message a few months back.

Finally, Uluain wanted me to say good bye to you all. Last night was utterly insane, and left a lot of us limping into this thread by the end of it.

He'll be watching, but man, he'll be missed. <hats off>

I'm going to be a little scarce over the next few days. My guild is wondering if I'm okay at this point, since I haven't logged in since Sunday.

As always, I'll be lurking, reading and reporting if I need to.

**hugs**

Edit: For those of you about to give up, contact GLAAD via email or facebook. The reason why GLAAD was contacted over this matter is because I found out that they had helped this very community last year. Rewording some of the angry letters to BioWare in order to send to GLAAD would be the way to go. Voting with our wallets didn't work, so maybe some media pressure will do it.

http://www.glaad.org/contact
For the record, I'm the Evan Thomsen that often posts on their Facebook page. Although I am neither a high school kid nor a professional fitness trainer, I also don't work for EA games or Bioware in any capacity. Passionate fan probably is the best description of me.

Anyway, I got bored and did a Google search on my own name, just to see whom else might come up under my name, and found this thread.

Tatile
12.16.2012 , 08:46 AM | #4078
Quote: Originally Posted by Arvig View Post
For the record, I'm the Evan Thomsen that often posts on their Facebook page. Although I am neither a high school kid nor a professional fitness trainer, I also don't work for EA games or Bioware in any capacity. Passionate fan probably is the best description of me.

Anyway, I got bored and did a Google search on my own name, just to see whom else might come up under my name, and found this thread.
There are worse places to find your name being uttered. It's nice to see you drop by May you be forever shrouded in mystery.

Arvig
12.16.2012 , 08:49 AM | #4079
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
There are worse places to find your name being uttered. It's nice to see you drop by May you be forever shrouded in mystery.
Thank you. I was more amused if anything that I got mentioned based on a Facebook post. That and when I saw that people were wondering if I did work for EA or Bioware, that I should clear that up, even though people did come to the conclusion that no, I probably don't.

Tatile
12.16.2012 , 09:47 AM | #4080
Quote: Originally Posted by Arvig View Post
Thank you. I was more amused if anything that I got mentioned based on a Facebook post. That and when I saw that people were wondering if I did work for EA or Bioware, that I should clear that up, even though people did come to the conclusion that no, I probably don't.
By virtue of the fact that you spoke about SGRA's, it's highly likely that you don't work for Bioware/EA Everyone knows that Bioware/EA employee loses their voice as soon as that topic comes up.