Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pay2Win Space Missions ???

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Senden
12.16.2012 , 05:31 AM | #821
Quote: Originally Posted by lorelthesecond View Post
You should definitely try it.

I like it and the devs really care about the game and post on the forums all the time.
However Funcom are for sale and there are rumours around the internet suggesting EA might be buying them out.. we all know what that will mean for TSW's f2p model.

Divona
12.16.2012 , 06:17 AM | #822
Pre 1.6 patch all hardest space missions were grade 5+.
Post 1.6 new space missions all grade 7 only ???

See what they done no normal grade 6 and no wonder we are forced to buy new grade ship items and they apper on CM ironically.

There is not much to discuss here. It was ment to be pay to win from the start when they did this choice and jumped to grade 7 adding "Heroic" tag on all missions.

lorelthesecond
12.16.2012 , 09:58 AM | #823
Quote: Originally Posted by Senden View Post
However Funcom are for sale and there are rumours around the internet suggesting EA might be buying them out.. we all know what that will mean for TSW's f2p model.
Yeah internet rumours always turn out to be true

Kyse
12.16.2012 , 10:00 AM | #824
they r not pay to win cuz i payed and so far only beat 2 of them

Icebergy
12.16.2012 , 10:17 AM | #825
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
LOL, Thanks for the chuckle....and well put. This is not about the integrity of the game, but personal desires.
It is absolutely about the integrity of the game, and I love how you have quoted just about everything I posted in the last couple pages except where I explain to you how it does in fact ruin the game's integrity. Bury your head in the sand a little more and just keep shouting "ME ME ME ME ME".
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

DAMossimo
12.16.2012 , 10:19 AM | #826
Quote: Originally Posted by lorelthesecond View Post
Yeah internet rumours always turn out to be true
I don't know how much EA involvement is going on there, I did note that several of the newer videos I've watched for TSW has the dreaded EA logo pop up first before the FunCom logo.

I'm sure it's not all wine & roses there but at least they are being upfront by offering the game in a B2P model instead of whatever kind of dumb, inbred F2P system you would describe this game's model as.

canuckly
12.16.2012 , 10:21 AM | #827
are people still complaining about this every singe piece of space gear is available from the gtn or fleet vendor you do not have to pay a dime to get the grade 7 equipment and the people saying the jump from grade 5-7 was forced on use to pay for this stuff well there is actually artifact equipment that you can buy past grade 5 which probably would be considered grade 6

Icebergy
12.16.2012 , 10:24 AM | #828
Quote: Originally Posted by canuckly View Post
are people still complaining about this every singe piece of space gear is available from the gtn or fleet vendor you do not have to pay a dime to get the grade 7 equipment and the people saying the jump from grade 5-7 was forced on use to pay for this stuff well there is actually artifact equipment that you can buy past grade 5 which probably would be considered grade 6
No, we are not, well at least I am not. What we(I) are(am) complaining about is Schubert's response comment and what it means to the future. He makes it sound like the game is going to become pay to win for PvE and/or PvP. That is what is causing the uproar.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

DAMossimo
12.16.2012 , 10:26 AM | #829
Quote: Originally Posted by canuckly View Post
There's so much being discussed in this thread that it is hard to separate it. I don't think there is anyone here that isn't aware of what you just pointed out though. It's alot more complicated than that.

DarthFamine
12.16.2012 , 10:49 AM | #830
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
I don't get some of these people defending the angle that this is okay for these reasons:

1) It's not Pay To Win because you're not actually winning.
If they sold top end PvP gear on the CC Market, it doesn't guarantee you'll win right? In fact, you could end up losing every time you set foot in a WZ, but I'm pretty sure most people would consider this P2W as you're basically buying gear that usually takes in-game effort to obtain (effort by PvP'ing, effort to obtain the crafting mats, effort to buy items off the GTN by obtaining the credits necessary).

2) It's not Pay to Win because you're not directly competing against anyone
If they didn't sell PvP gear, but sold PvE gear, that's not directly competing against someone else. You're grouped with other people in a combined effort to down a scripted AI boss. You can say you're competing against others for "Server 1st" or "World 1st", but all this gear does is help you to down content faster. But that's exactly what the ship upgrades do. They help you complete those new missions faster and more easily which enables you to obtain credits and commendations.

3) It's a mini-game so doesn't impact anything else in the game
Please see by last item in #2. Because you obtain credits, comms that can buy crafting mats via the boxes, and BH comms for doing weekly quests you are now being rewarded with things beyond the scope of the mini-game... and because those new ship upgrades help you do it faster and more easily... it boils down to the fact that you're buying upgrades that help you obtain gear faster and more easily.

4) What does it matter to you?
Because buying gear with real life money circumvents the spirit of the MMO community. Before the CC Market everyone was obtaining their gear by effort in the game. Whether they spent time by raiding, doing Daily and Weekly Missions, doing quests to earn in-game credits to then buy the mats and gear, doing the space missions to earn comms to obtain crafting mats... all of these systems are in place meaning that the person is putting their effort into this game and time in this game.

When someone opens up their wallet, whips out their credit card, and buys those items on the Market they circumvent any in-game effort. They are buying their way to end-game items w/out making any in-game effort. That is at the very heart of Pay To Win.
I have to disagree with you

Say I'm a new sub
I get my ship, I buy this new set.
I get loads of easy xp and cash by facerolling space missions with the best gear in the game.

how exactly is that not pay to win?

Sorry but they not only dropped the ball on this one, they spiked it in their own endzone.
If this trend continues I won't keep playing.
"It might be fear, or anger, or hatred, or perhaps even suffering that makes a man fall to the dark side, but it is without a doubt regret, that keeps him there."
-Darth Famine
www.RJKgaming.com