Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Lag Hacks


Mindwreck's Avatar


Mindwreck
12.16.2012 , 12:23 AM | #1
Do these exist? I've really been noticing alot lately, at a crucial turning point in a match, suddenly my player becomes almost uncontrollable for 20 seconds because of lag. The bomb is planted on the door by the enemy team and everything turns back to normal. I just always assumed it was poor server maintenance and programming by BW, seeing how they haven't fixed the ability lag yet, that has been here since day 1. But I see people talking about it alot now, saying there is a lag hack. If so, this is a very serious problem, and should go at the very top of BW's priority list. I don't know how many games I've quit playing cuz of hacks.

adiwantinova's Avatar


adiwantinova
12.16.2012 , 01:06 AM | #2
I'm not gonna lie, I feel that this is happening quite a bit. There are a few players that when I'm against them in WZ's, my packets will spike enormously throughout a match -- as you said -- at critical times.
ADI-WAN TINOVA
Adi-Wan, Sentinel | Theresee, Sage | Kahlvin, Guardian
The Shadowlands | <RotJ> | <Triumph>

TonyDragonflame's Avatar


TonyDragonflame
12.16.2012 , 02:04 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by adiwantinova View Post
I'm not gonna lie, I feel that this is happening quite a bit. There are a few players that when I'm against them in WZ's, my packets will spike enormously throughout a match -- as you said -- at critical times.
^ this.
May the Force be with you!
Vigilance vr 100 | Scrapper vr 91 | Focus vr 91 | Assault vr 88 | Infiltration v 82 | Sharpshooter v 73
Manhunter 110+k killed imps | TRE | ToFN

Arlanon's Avatar


Arlanon
12.16.2012 , 03:25 AM | #4
One of them supposedly has something to do with hitting printscreen repeatedly

DarthRaika's Avatar


DarthRaika
12.16.2012 , 03:52 AM | #5
well the main thing is something they do for themselves. This is an oldschool cheat that is very easy to do and is present in pretty much every videogame out there. I do wish these losers would die in a fire though haha.

Good news is though is that in my experience the kinds of people that do this have extremely horrible irl's.

Couver's Avatar


Couver
12.16.2012 , 04:01 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRaika View Post
Good news is though is that in my experience the kinds of people that do this have extremely horrible irl's.
Oh totally. I bet they all have a small wang and worship satan too.

PoliteAssasin's Avatar


PoliteAssasin
12.16.2012 , 05:17 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by adiwantinova View Post
I'm not gonna lie, I feel that this is happening quite a bit. There are a few players that when I'm against them in WZ's, my packets will spike enormously throughout a match -- as you said -- at critical times.
Same here. Certain guild that when we fight, everyone lags.
RP and PVP apprentice of Dreadmaster Zuhara. Ruler of the 7 realms, the 7 seas, and lord of the 18 servers, God save the queen.

DarthRaika's Avatar


DarthRaika
12.16.2012 , 05:20 AM | #8
Well there is 1 guild that everytime I see them in a huttball the first 30 seconds or so are very laggy and they often seem to score during this period.

Totaltrash's Avatar


Totaltrash
12.16.2012 , 07:34 AM | #9
Yes, lag switches exists and are used more than EAware likes to admit.
If you are curious what that is and how it works, google "networking tools" and look for programs like "netlimiter".
These are legitimate programs by reputable companies made for IT purposes (and abused by cheaters).

Other games counter lag switches by immediately disconnecting the user, once client and server go out of sync.
Unfortunately, that's not an option in SWTOR, since the hero engine creates quite a bit of natural lag.
Scores of non-cheaters would constantly disco without a chance to reconnect to their warzone.

The natural lag of the game engine also makes it very hard to punish the cheaters - they will always claim that their lag was "natural". So unless they get reported over and over, they are basically safe from suspensions.

Unlike true hacks, such as speedhacks and teleporting, lag switches are pretty subtle and not readily noticed by the average player - nonetheless they are often game-deciding!
If you are an honest player, you will rarely benefit from lag (that's why we hate lag), so look for situations where people are clearly gaining an advantage from it.
A few obvious examples what can be done with lag switches:

- Player is near death and suddenly glitches out of range (i.e. to the nearest health buff)
- Player successfully caps (or disarms) a node/door while being attacked and taking damage
- Player skips through hazards without taking any damage
- Player passes the ball to a teammate after you received the message "You defeated the ball carrier"

Generally, if something funky happens, always report it and let EAware sort them out.

Theagg's Avatar


Theagg
12.25.2012 , 08:22 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
Yes, lag switches exists and are used more than EAware likes to admit.
If you are curious what that is and how it works, google "networking tools" and look for programs like "netlimiter".
These are legitimate programs by reputable companies made for IT purposes (and abused by cheaters).

Other games counter lag switches by immediately disconnecting the user, once client and server go out of sync.
Unfortunately, that's not an option in SWTOR, since the hero engine creates quite a bit of natural lag.
Scores of non-cheaters would constantly disco without a chance to reconnect to their warzone.

The natural lag of the game engine also makes it very hard to punish the cheaters - they will always claim that their lag was "natural". So unless they get reported over and over, they are basically safe from suspensions.

Unlike true hacks, such as speedhacks and teleporting, lag switches are pretty subtle and not readily noticed by the average player - nonetheless they are often game-deciding!
If you are an honest player, you will rarely benefit from lag (that's why we hate lag), so look for situations where people are clearly gaining an advantage from it.
A few obvious examples what can be done with lag switches:

- Player is near death and suddenly glitches out of range (i.e. to the nearest health buff)
- Player successfully caps (or disarms) a node/door while being attacked and taking damage
- Player skips through hazards without taking any damage
- Player passes the ball to a teammate after you received the message "You defeated the ball carrier"

Generally, if something funky happens, always report it and let EAware sort them out.
Hmm yes, it would be hard to spot the difference between these lag events, real and deliberate.

One obviously natural one is when you stun or CC an opponet on the move and they snap back to the location point where the CC/stun was applied.

More suspicious as you say are those where opponents instantly reposition out of the danger zone at, and usually only at moments of imminent incoming death for them. I have caught one or two of those moments on video. Problem being, of course, that it might just be lucky coincidence for them that a lag spike 'repositions' them in their favour. To be sure its nothing but a natural occurence, you need to spot them doing it again (at those crucial moments and no other).

Doing that is difficult.

But yes, some of these conveniently timed insta leaps out of danger do look suspicious