Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pay2Win Space Missions ???

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Blackardin
12.14.2012 , 07:09 PM | #791
Quote: Originally Posted by Andermann View Post
Just curious, but what's the point of playing after you've bought the best, and then maybe done the end game content once through?
You are employing mind projection fallacy. I can't answer that from your perspective, only my own.

Firs is that I enjoy all the space missions and when I'm playing a character I do them every night. They are fun to me (yes, I'm a bit crazy). Second reasons is that unless you are a 12 year old jacked up on Cheetos and Jolt, you cannot earn gear by doing the new missions, you must have the gear in order to do them.

Its similar to my philosophy on raiding. I was a raid leader and raid tank. Long after I had geared up through a level of content I would still go back and do it over and over to gear others in our guild. I did that because my goal in these games is not carrot chasing, not gearing up for the sake of gearing but having fun with friends completing content. No one in our guild ever had gear envy issues and quite often would pass on top end gear so that others could get some. Different philosophy is all and CCs afford me the opportunity to play my way.
May the Schwartz be with you....

Blackardin
12.14.2012 , 07:11 PM | #792
Quote: Originally Posted by Tordos View Post
Some people call it earning your gear, others call it a mindless grind. Some people play for the journey, others do not. Some call it fun, others call it insanity. Whatever motivates you I guess.
Absolutely. My intent was not to berate those that enjoy grinding or earning. If that is fun for them then that's great. I won't contest different philosophies, just hope that I'm allowed to enjoy the game as I please.
May the Schwartz be with you....

psikofunkster
12.14.2012 , 07:11 PM | #793
Buy cartel coins! Buy cartel coins! Buy cartel coins!

Icebergy
12.14.2012 , 07:53 PM | #794
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
I've been subbed since day one and I welcome this with open arms. I've done the grind through Everquest, Wow, to here. Done all end game content and quite frankly I'm pretty sick of mindless grinding. I play a game to play, not to have to do mindless, repetitive grinding for two months before I can do so. To me that is the very definition of insanity, and not something I'm interested in paying to do. I'd rather take a few minutes of my workday and use that revenue to just buy the grind gear and be off and playing.

Others enjoy grinding. I can respect that....but not for me.
You will quickly find yourself with a lot fewer people to play with, though to be honest, I am not sure what the point of continuing to play would even be if you already had the gear.

You say you have played MMOs for so long...have you ever stopped to think that maybe they aren't the type of game you are looking for?

I have canceled my sub due to Schubert's statement. I will resub if Bioware clarifies their intent, and if that intent is NO PAY TO WIN.
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

Icebergy
12.14.2012 , 07:56 PM | #795
Absolutely. My intent was not to berate those that enjoy grinding or earning. If that is fun for them then that's great. I won't contest different philosophies, just hope that I'm allowed to enjoy the game as I please.
The problem with this is that the way you want to "enjoy the game" (I used quotes here because one, I think you are flat out wrong, you would not enjoy it, and two you would not be playing it, you would just be paying it) completely destroys the way myself and the majority of others want to play it.
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

mothear
12.14.2012 , 10:45 PM | #796
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
The problem with this is that the way you want to "enjoy the game" (I used quotes here because one, I think you are flat out wrong, you would not enjoy it, and two you would not be playing it, you would just be paying it) completely destroys the way myself and the majority of others want to play it.
So your wants trump his wants. Are you King Icebergy of Icebergland or something? Stop thinking that you are more important than him and really tell us why it is so important that someone can get the same gear to occasionally run content with friends? How does this affect you, apart from not being a special snowflake in your pixel gear?

You want to earn your gear, I get that and you can be proud that you did. As long as BW don't put gear in the CS that is better than your gear what is the problem to you?

DAMossimo
12.14.2012 , 11:13 PM | #797
Quote: Originally Posted by mothear View Post
So your wants trump his wants. Are you King Icebergy of Icebergland or something? Stop thinking that you are more important than him and really tell us why it is so important that someone can get the same gear to occasionally run content with friends? How does this affect you, apart from not being a special snowflake in your pixel gear?

You want to earn your gear, I get that and you can be proud that you did. As long as BW don't put gear in the CS that is better than your gear what is the problem to you?
The answer to these questions were well covered in the last 798 posts. I will however, field your last one, although it has been explained several times already:

The T7 gear in the CS is in fact, better than anyone's T5/T6 gear from before the patch. <--- PROBLEM!

An extreme minority of players are sitting on 2000 fleet comms, 500 daily comms, 300,000 credits, and is a cybertech who could even use the schematics along with the $2 million credits worth of mats required to craft what is being bought & sold in the CS for 9 usd worth of cartel coins.

The additional fears that this will spread to endgame PVE & PVP gear are pure speculation at this point, but valid nonetheless.

RWScissors
12.14.2012 , 11:15 PM | #798
I'm curious, please indulge me. If you're okay with what some are calling pay to win, how far are you willing to accept them going? End game gear, power leveling, botting... if they were on offer from the Cartel Market, how much is too much?
'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.'
Mark Twain

SithInitiate
12.14.2012 , 11:39 PM | #799
I've been subbed since day one and I welcome this with open arms. I've done the grind through Everquest, Wow, to here. Done all end game content and quite frankly I'm pretty sick of mindless grinding. I play a game to play, not to have to do mindless, repetitive grinding for two months before I can do so. To me that is the very definition of insanity, and not something I'm interested in paying to do. I'd rather take a few minutes of my workday and use that revenue to just buy the grind gear and be off and playing.

Others enjoy grinding. I can respect that....but not for me.
then why play a WoW based mmo?? whether people like it or not, the mmo parts of this game (ops, warzones, FPs, etc) are WoWesque.. its fine if you dont want to play the grind, but thats what this game is from an MMO perspective.
and taking away that part of the game only segregates those who pay for their gear from those that dont... and personally, when it comes to gear, you should earn it by actually playing the game. otherwise.. whats the point.
McSidious: Gotta go with uno pistola for myself. Remember that Han Solo saved Lando, killed Boba Fett and escaped the sarlaac with only one pistol... and he was BLIND. Give a smuggler two pistols and eyesight and I'm fairly certain they would solo the Death Star while hitting on your sister and balancing the federal budget.. CE VIP

Suzina
12.15.2012 , 12:37 AM | #800
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins
You cheapened the integrity of the market once you started putting top tier gear (of any kind) for sale on the Cartel Market.

That is the fundamental problem here. If you guys want to start selling more top-tier gear on the Market... and I don't care what the cost is... if you want to sell ANY top-tier gear on the Market on a go-forward basis, just come out and say it so that I can unsub because that isn't the MMO I signed up for.
I must echo this sentiment.

I've been playing daily (with the exception of 1.6) since launch. I'm legacy 50 and have 77 days /played on my main alone. I've been renewing my 6-month sub since launch. Before launch I did podcasts, blogged, and talked about SWTOR for years with guild mates awaiting it's release.

At no time did the developers EVER indicate best-in-slot gear of any sort would be ever available on the cartel market. Put raid or PVP gear on there and I'll pass leadership of my guild off and unsubcribe / uninstall. What has been done is already too far.
Member of Bane Fleet