Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What's with the rudeness?


Pulpp's Avatar


Pulpp
12.13.2012 , 03:27 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Ifolad View Post
Why are some of you so cruel to other people in this game? Not to me personally but I notice a lot of horrible behavior out of some of you.
All communities eventually turn elitist (SWTOR is pretty low on that scale, as the gear check is minimal for all but pvp). In addition, when content is generally boring or lacking, players quickly turn to chat for drama and fun.

Welcome to MMOs, I guess.
--
Entitled whiners don't understand the new F2P model purposefully offers a stripped down version of the game to entice people to subscribe, because polls showed people were not willing to subscribe to the full version of the game (wait...what?!).

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
12.13.2012 , 03:45 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by seanisawake View Post
I don't find the community in game to be to to bad but the people who posts on these forums are dreadful. Entitled hormonal teenagers with no sense of patience.
Point proven huh?! Name calling, imo, is not only childish, but also dreadful. If your point can't be made without the added commentary, perhaps you shouldn't post it.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

TheNegotiator's Avatar


TheNegotiator
12.13.2012 , 03:53 PM | #33
It's not worth worrying about the jerks, just put them quickly on ignore and move on.

Urael's Avatar


Urael
12.13.2012 , 03:56 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Point proven huh?! Name calling, imo, is not only childish, but also dreadful. If your point can't be made without the added commentary, perhaps you shouldn't post it.
The reason we see posts like the one you commented on TUXs, is that people are never the "villian" of their own stores. People have grown more narcissistic since the dawn of modernity. It's hard to recognize and accept our own faults. I will be the first to admit that I am not perfect, am prone to be reactionary at times, I know I have a long way to go. I attempt each day to improve and temper myself. I often fall down but, I get back up and try again. The progress is slow but, self mastery is worth it. When people can step back and take a long honest look at themselves and have the self realization that change is needed the light usually comes on and they to attempt to undertake the same journey but, not before.

Duskkeeper's Avatar


Duskkeeper
12.13.2012 , 04:01 PM | #35
I have come to find that is ussually the kids or adults that are the younger brother or sister to someone that teases them, they are the ones picked on at school, or the ones that do not get the adquate attention at home from parents, there the people at work that dont socially fit in. They can get a rise out of people with out the consequences of there actions, all people need attention, either good or bad and this is how they know they can do it. Either way, just ignoring them is the best way.

Note: These type of social behaviors / situations can also be some of the most helpful people, because they decided to be above it.

Mirhd's Avatar


Mirhd
12.13.2012 , 04:08 PM | #36
Really must disagree with those throwing all the the blame - or most of it - on F2P. The verbal diarrhea erupting from general chat (again most prevalent on Dromuund Kaas, as previously mentioned) was happening long before F2P. Maybe you weren't on the same hours I was (even though this often happens at prime time...), but the complete, utter garbage people get away with saying is ridiculous. There's a reason I don't even bother with FPs, OPs or hell, grouping period... I don't want to end up with the alt of some jerk I already have on ignore.

And yes, depressing as it is, when anonymity is on the table, people will often choose to be the worst example humanity has to offer. You can say "it's a game" all you want, but facts are facts - there are real people on the other side of that monitor, and if you act like that in-game... that just speaks volumes, and I sure as heck don't want to deal with you in real life.

P.S.

WTB account wide ignore, PSW!

EDIT : It's hardly fair to say it's the "kiddies" (20 and under) who are responsible, too. They add to it, but they aren't the core of the problem. I've encountered plenty of aged 30+ people in gaming over the years (yes, in SWTOR too) who make me ashamed to be of the same species. : P

Darth_Exar's Avatar


Darth_Exar
12.13.2012 , 04:57 PM | #37
Unfortunately this is the case with many online games now, you see it in FPS and MMOs, hec I even got an earlful from a player in ME3 Multiplayer when the game system is co-op. As some posts have stated I think dont think its due to F2P, this issue went on long before then, but it has added to the issue.

When people see a chance to diminish, bully or take advantage of another being...they take it, whether that be in real life or a game (Im not saying everyone does). This is more common with younger people but Ive seen adults do this as well. The lack of respect in this day and age is astounding. A reasoning for this may be because they themselfs feel insecure, which is the most common reasoning for bullying.

Just put them on your ignore list.
"So this is how Liberty dies....With thunderous applause."

lolerr's Avatar


lolerr
12.13.2012 , 05:17 PM | #38
You people are completely sheltered. I don't understand how you can manage to keep alive from day to day if you throw a hissy fit if someone says a bad word. You are some tattle tales. I find the Barrens chat in DK occasionally funny. When it isn't, I don't look at it.

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
12.13.2012 , 05:26 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
It's F2P. People have no investment and nothing at stake so you see ridiculous behavior at times. tbh, it's very mild in this game compared to some others I've played.
Funny, considering 90% of the bullies are not F2P players but subscribers with a God complex.
At least that's that case in my server, where people I've been seeing and unfortunately reading in general chat have taken it upon themselves to make F2P players' experience as lousy as possible.

Mirhd's Avatar


Mirhd
12.13.2012 , 05:36 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by lolerr View Post
You people are completely sheltered. I don't understand how you can manage to keep alive from day to day if you throw a hissy fit if someone says a bad word. You are some tattle tales. I find the Barrens chat in DK occasionally funny. When it isn't, I don't look at it.
Oh, brother.

I can't speak for the other posters, but I don't refer to simple "bad words", I'm talking about the complete disregard for any semblance of decency what-so-ever.

You mention barrens chat from WoW. I played since vanilla and virtually all my characters were horde (9 out of 10 slots were horde toons on nearly all the servers I played on, before I quit in Cata) so I was in the barrens quite a bit, questing or farming mats. I've seen the worst it had to offer, and on numerous occasions SWTOR has topped that. I can't repeat what was said here on the forums for hopefully obvious reasons, but the crap that often goes on is waaaay past a few Eff Yous and such... and this is from someone who has been known to cuss like a sailor when especially irritated with something, but only in close company.

So no, it's not a matter of people being too thin skinned or what have you, it's the community devolving into a mass of ******s. : P

TheNahash : I've seen plenty of that too, unfortunately. As others have mentioned, when people have the option of being a jerk with no consequences, they'll do so.