Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pay2Win Space Missions ???

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DAMossimo
12.13.2012 , 01:14 PM | #581
Quote: Originally Posted by Elear View Post
Wait, so how exactly monetizing at SWTOR works? Guy in charge of it just looks at all avaible stuff, decides "Oh, this would surely sell great in shop! Since players can get it by other means let's slap low price there, and let moeny flow in." and nobody nowhere even checks it, pretty much allowing such cases like this one to happen?
Something like that must have happened - as the dev post said, there was a "miscommunication". You know; business talk for "Big **** Up".

The ship items were not in the cartel Shop on the PTS at any point. Who made the call? We'll never know. Let's just hope they know better next time.

JediMB
12.13.2012 , 01:15 PM | #582
Quote: Originally Posted by Malkavier View Post
You forget, it's no longer truly Bioware. The empty shell remains, but the heart and soul of Bioware is all long gone, replaced by EA yes-men and beancounters.
Well, I hope I'm not the only one realizing that this is pretty much the description for a Buffy-style vampire. Which is super-appropriate and funny.

Or maybe I'm sleepy and dehydrated.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Vandicus
12.13.2012 , 01:18 PM | #583
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
It's lost in the vastness of this thread, but I said that I think most people upset, like me, aren't so upset because of the space ship items. It's mostly because I feel we're on the slippery slope to selling other end-game items on the Cartel Market and that's not what I want to be a part of. If they stop here, then I'll be okay with it. But I would prefer them not to sell even ship upgrades on the Market. And I definitely will unsub if they push beyond this.
That's about where I stand as well. If it does go to end game pvp and pve, I'll just unsub and stick to playing storylines as preferred status.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Virus_Bot
12.13.2012 , 01:22 PM | #584
Holy fu**...
It really did happened...

KarethRiker
12.13.2012 , 01:22 PM | #585
Agreed. Changed my sub to month-to-month so I'm no longer locked in. Sad because I like this game and actually enjoy the grind of end-gear raiding.

Make the CM all cosmetic, fun stuff and if you must mid level gear. But leave the BIS to heavy raiding and PVPing. They've already proven that people are willing to spend boatloads of real money on cosmetic items so just keep milking that cow and let the raiders and PVPers stay happy with our progression.

As an aside pretty sure they could put an al black saber in or white saber/black core and people will pay $20 bucks for it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Beslley View Post
Couldn't have said it better.
Kareth Kalzeth Kairieth Karzeth Karyeth
Kelschuz Staccia Karjeth Karxeth
The Last Centurions - The Harbinger

dscount
12.13.2012 , 01:23 PM | #586
BIOWARE Lessons Learned - Cartel Market 101
  • Do NOT Sell high end gear that gives the image of Play to Win or money Grab.
  • Read comments & Feedback from ALL your players and MMO communities at large.

Grinding is FINE, but you basically forced people to BUY from Cartel Market in order to PLAY the new missions or they spend 2-3 months building up enough materials to make all the Grade 7 Stuff. (Which has a crazy number of high end materials I would rather use to upgrade my PVE gear)

It was like "Here is this cool set of space missions, but you can't play unless you have thousands of Fleet Commendations or just shell out $15 to us in cash and we will give you them instead." - Game on!
Reference Link: Why bother? Folks dropping sub's like flys lately. http://www.swtor.com/r/FDltnT
WTB Legacy Bound Ear, Implants, Relics

Suggestions to Bioware: Release "REAL" Sub rewards list.

Satanski
12.13.2012 , 01:25 PM | #587
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
And there you go, people!! Now let's get together as we tried to do several pages ago and help BW find a good median and common ground to satisfy the needs of players in both camps.

BJ
Help? You mean force

Vandicus
12.13.2012 , 01:28 PM | #588
Quote: Originally Posted by dpwms View Post
One could make a very strong argument that it doesn't, as long as there are non-cash avenues to acquire the same gear. The exception is PVP, where players are in direct competition with each other.
That's how people in TOR's targeted player base naturally react to the selling of top end pv/pve gear. In all probability, a substantial portion of the population would quit the game should it become straightforward end game p2win. Unfortunately, in all probability a straightforward end game p2win model is more profitable given an MMO drops below a certain population threshhold. If end game p2win comes, a lot of long timers and new players alike will leave. The game will almost certainly survive for years afterwards, but there's no denying that a substantial group of people would be displeased with the model change.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

dpwms
12.13.2012 , 01:29 PM | #589
Quote: Originally Posted by Satanski View Post
Help? You mean force
That is the order of the day.

dpwms
12.13.2012 , 01:32 PM | #590
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
That's how people in TOR's targeted player base naturally react to the selling of top end pv/pve gear. In all probability, a substantial portion of the population would quit the game should it become straightforward end game p2win. Unfortunately, in all probability a straightforward end game p2win model is more profitable given an MMO drops below a certain population threshhold. If end game p2win comes, a lot of long timers and new players alike will leave. The game will almost certainly survive for years afterwards, but there's no denying that a substantial group of people would be displeased with the model change.
My hope is that they will take the approach of ensuring a completely level playing field in PVP, so no cash purchases of any type there. At the same time, I hope that they offer as many options as possible on the PVE side. Not necessarily selling the best gear for cash, but having a good selection of gear available to reduce the grind for those of us who dislike it.