Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

LordPorkins

Actually, the ExU is mostly considered a parallel universe that sticks to the films as much as possible. I call it an overlapping universe, since George has used ExU material in the movies. Episodes I - VI are their own self-contained Universe. The George or G-Canon universe. Then there is the Films + Expanded Universe reality that most of us know. It takes George's story and expands on it both prior to and after the movies themselves. With the new Episode VII, IF it is in fact an original story that would retcon the majority of the post-RotJ ExU, it would fall into a different category. G-Canon is done, as far as the movies go. Since George is not going to have his name on VII except on the "Star Wars Created by George Lucas" credit, it won't actually BE G-Canon. I'm calling the new Disney franchise D-Canon for now, and IF the rumors are true and it differs from everything post-RotJ, it would cause an all new Universe. Right now, we have the OT/PT/ExU. WIth the new movies, we'll have the OT/PT/Disney Universe as well. It's a compromise, but it's the most likely option to keep the ExU fans from going completely ballistic.

Seriously this is so totally made up BS. There is no 'official' G-Cannon except for what some fan made up for their own personal rationalization and making things fit issues. I don't know how many times this has to be said or why so many proclaimed fans have missed this. George Lucas has already done an interview on this subjeuct and we have pretty good idea what the next films will be. While Lucas isn't helming it, it is still going to be based largely on his ideas for episodes VII-IX. It's not gonna be a reboot and it's not going to contradict the first 6 episodes. There is no D-canon.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously this is so totally made up BS. There is no 'official' G-Cannon except for what some fan made up for their own personal rationalization and making things fit issues. I don't know how many times this has to be said or why so many proclaimed fans have missed this. George Lucas has already done an interview on this subjeuct and we have pretty good idea what the next films will be. While Lucas isn't helming it, it is still going to be based largely on his ideas for episodes VII-IX. It's not gonna be a reboot and it's not going to contradict the first 6 episodes. There is no D-canon.

You should probably do your homework. Leland Chee and George Lucas created a canon system to keep the EU in line with the movies. G-Canon is an official part of the canon system, and I'm hoping Disney adds their own part so that everything can remain organized.

You should probably do your homework. Leland Chee and George Lucas created a canon system to keep the EU in line with the movies. G-Canon is an official part of the canon system, and I'm hoping Disney adds their own part so that everything can remain organized.

I stand corrected.....and T-canon's and C-Canons. It just sounded so ridiculous and certainaly makes things confusing if you're a continuity hound.

Imagine if they didn't exist, the Star Wars universe would collapse into anarchy :eek:

Exactly. We have so many stories out there and if it weren't for Chee and Lucas keeping things orderly with the canon system, the Star Wars continuity would fall apart. That's what concerns me the most with this whole Disney thing. I'm waiting to see what Leland Chee does before I make any conclusions.

Exactly. We have so many stories out there and if it weren't for Chee and Lucas keeping things orderly with the canon system, the Star Wars continuity would fall apart. That's what concerns me the most with this whole Disney thing. I'm waiting to see what Leland Chee does before I make any conclusions.

I would be worried too, but agian based on what's out there I think we've been assured of a few things already. 1) This is NOT going to be a re-boot. That's pretty much a guaruntee. 2) Timeline wise it's going to occur after Episode VI. 3) From what I have read and seen this was not a sale Lucas made lightly, and Lucasfilm will remain under the same management. It's just owned by Disney rather than Lucas though it sounded to me like Lucas will still get some input and Disney plans on remaining faithful to his vision and the very least, faithful to 'G-canon'. So it's not going to be a story that nullifies what came before it continuity wise. In fact, I think it has the potential to be the best there has been as it will be everything we'd hoped for out of the prequel trilogy minus Lucas' god aweful scripting.

Edited by LordHartigan

Imagine if they didn't exist, the Star Wars universe would collapse into anarchy :eek:

It would turn into Highlander. :eek:

Don't get me wrong. I loved the Highlander TV series in the mid 90s. Unfortunately, the whole Highlander universe is a mess thanks to them NOT having a Canon system.

• 1 month later...

The EU lore and story needs a rewrite from the thrawn duology onward.

Timothy Zhan is pretty level headed and character focused in his star wars writing, but most of the other stuff is just a bridge too far.

.The extra galactic invaders, for instance, need to be wiped from the star wars universe, as well as everything that happened in their story arc. Including the death of Chewbacca.

Though blowing up a planet to kill him was a fairly decent send off, it's also indicitive of the EU's tendancy to jump the shark with a nuked fridge and have it land on Mary Sue, who proceeds to blow up the planet and time shift through the force to a living spaceship where she meets Chuck Norris who proceeds to teach her the secrets of the universe and mary her off to brad pit only to be killed by "random unknown alien species B" that starts the whole mess over again.

Its troupe tripe to the N'th degree.

Oh ya, they blew another planet to kill off R2 as well.

EU writers just love blowing up planets. At this point im pretty sure there's 1 planet left in the galaxy somewhere.

Edited by Slipfeed

Agreed. Star Wars Star Wars is the films. The rest if a mess; parts of EU are good, others are horrible. But overall, EU is a messy, sad abomination.

This game is EU, just putting it out there... but the post-ROTJ is rather messy, so I'm hoping the films will clean it up a but. I think the Old Republic era is what all EU writers should strive to mirror, the storyline really reflects what Star Wars is, its neat and tidy, and its got excellent, memorable characters.

And yes, I'd call the Star Wars films the cornerstone for the Star Wars universe.

This game is EU, just putting it out there... but the post-ROTJ is rather messy, so I'm hoping the films will clean it up a but. I think the Old Republic era is what all EU writers should strive to mirror, the storyline really reflects what Star Wars is, its neat and tidy, and its got excellent, memorable characters.

And yes, I'd call the Star Wars films the cornerstone for the Star Wars universe.

Not really. Tales of the Jedi, Kotor 1, Kotor 2 and TOR all contradict each other and the rest of the Expanded Universe as a whole.

Also, any "NOOOOO" complication without Dot Matrix is hopelessly incomplete without the best one. :p

Edited by OldVengeance

Not really. Tales of the Jedi, Kotor 1, Kotor 2 and TOR all contradict each other and the rest of the Expanded Universe as a whole.

Also, any "NOOOOO" complication without Dot Matrix is hopelessly incomplete without the best one. :p

I wouldn't say KOTOR 1 & 2 contradict one another - they seem pretty succinct. Can't comment of Tales of the Jedi. However I doubt its as messy as the post-ROTJ EU. And its certainly much much better.