Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Persiffon
12.12.2012 , 03:06 PM | #341
I to have been crashing every 3 hours. Everything runs beautifully until the 3 hours then bam! Crash to desktop.

What I have been researching is why. This is what I have come up with so far.

Windows XP SP3

All versions of XP have a 2 gb limit on any memory operation.

"An artifact of the design of 32bit processors and the 32bit API for Windows, the 2GB barrier is a cap on how much addressing space (related to but not equivalent to memory usage) a single application can use. This isn't a bug but rather the result of how hardware and software was created so many years ago, and while everyone has known this barrier will inevitably be hit, as we'll see there are several reasons why it can't simply be moved or bypassed. Meanwhile hitting it involves affected applications crashing for what can appear to be no good reason, and understanding why the 2GB barrier exists and what can be done will be important for resolving those crashes."

This needs to be addressed by Bioware. There is nothing you can do about it! I know I have tried every single option provided by these kinds of threads besides going out and buying Windows 64 products. I know I will but right now it's not an option.

What I have learned is if your video card is 1 gb ram then it subtracts that from your available ram for the system because Windows XP can not address anything above 4gb in total. Thats the limit period. The swap file is pointless because if you increase the size of the page file it just creates more problems. Once the SWTOR.exe file tries to access more then is available to any process (2gb limit) you will get crash to desktop. If you set the swap file beyond it's limit you get page file corruption and a subsequent blue screen because the swap file is prone to corruption once the 2gb limit for a process is reached + system requirements. All must equal 4 GB period. Once it goes over CTD's happen.

BioWare must limit the process of the client to less then 2gb. It seems once it hits 1.6 gb it craps out on some systems because of the larger video cards like mine(1gb). Bioware must use a memory manager to set limits on the memory usage via a memory manager they use in the client. If Bioware makes the client behave in this way I believe all crashes to desktop will stop and the quality of play will be maximized.

Discuss
John Bigness
Computer Technician

psikofunkster
12.12.2012 , 03:13 PM | #342
And after last night patch game stil crashes! yeah!

Darindesh
12.12.2012 , 07:12 PM | #343
1. Jedi Covenant
2. Darindesh/Ali-ki
3. Many times an hour
4. Random
5. DXDiag
Spoiler

6. Win7
Spoiler

7. Crash to desktop, game just locks up then gone, no sign I was even playing.

Tecknik
12.12.2012 , 11:36 PM | #344
1 - Jung Ma
2 - Chromia
3 - 5 crashes in less than 30 minutes
4 - Leveling on Tython.
5 - DxDiag
Spoiler

6 - Reliability Report
First type
Spoiler

Second type
Spoiler

7 - Yes, all 5 times were a Crash To Desktop
#The Furious Angels#
Tecknik - Ad Astra
Jung Ma Server
Website|The Signal|HQ

OwenBrooks
12.13.2012 , 12:12 AM | #345
If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, could you please try running the launcher in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and as administrator

KostonxEld
12.13.2012 , 12:15 AM | #346
Yes same problem that came with update 1.4. I crash within 2 hours EVERY TIME! Even more often if I am character switching between alts crafting. It happens mostly during loading screens but also looking in my inventory or bank or scrolling thru crafting menus.
Update 1.4 brought some "optimizations" than NEED to be uninstalled! This broke 32bite users game and made this almost unplayable!!!! We need a fix for this already!!! Months now and no word!?
Bring it on Sith, the Jedi shall prevail!

Evan-War-Hound
12.13.2012 , 01:25 AM | #347
Gav Daragon
Raizo (All)
everytime a story requires a jump to lightspeed to a new zone eg: BT and currently the blackmail class quest.
"Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the b**ch that bore him is in heat again."

Khumak
12.13.2012 , 01:50 AM | #348
7 crashes tonight, has gotten worst for me for sure, wish they would tell us if this is gonna get fixed, if it's not just say so and ill move on to something else.

MatahJ
12.13.2012 , 04:38 AM | #349
Sup 0/
At 1st, it was fine for few hours. Then it started to go black once every hour 2-3 times. Now, it goes black after about 10min into it, tops. All standard procedures are done, reloading drivers and that kind of thing. Nothing helps. All other entertainment software, just as taxing or more so, on the system as SWTOR, i have installed, running as usual. That ever is the issue, it must have came with the latest patch, perhaps bad code...

Time of Incident : 12/12/12-12/13/12
Character name, class, level and server : Agrippina , guardian, 45 The Harbinger.
Area this occurred : First time in a flashpoint, then increasingly random from when on.
A detailed description of your issue : Refer above, no error message, just black screen.
Operating System : win7 64bit.
Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560.
Any troubleshooting steps attempted : Refer above.

DxDiag :
Spoiler

MatahJ
12.13.2012 , 05:16 AM | #350
Continued:
Client Logs :
Spoiler