Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why kill Synthweaving and Armormech with free Tionese sets?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Why kill Synthweaving and Armormech with free Tionese sets?

Maestrodomus
12.12.2012 , 11:41 AM | #1
Is anyone else concerned with this? I've been a Synthweaver (added an Armormech sometime along the way) since launch. I've made a nice sum to support myself and our guild by crafting epic 49 belts, bracers, boots, and gloves for all classes and specs through Synth/Armor. You can make and sell these for reasonable costs and it keeps a healthy economy and money sink flowing.

Why would they kill this by giving every fresh 50 a set of Tionese which renders these useless and leaves Synth and Armormechs with only the annoying augment market to make any money?
Dark Fury [Canderous Ordo]

Kelha
12.12.2012 , 11:46 AM | #2
Well, Cartel Market and recent updates are making sweeping oversights regarding crafting. While I've always enjoyed crafting, I wouldn't rely on it too heavily for a while, either for income or entertainment, until the cartel market comes into its own. My guess would be for the first expansion (Makeb?) before crafting gets a serious looking into.

MaliksKid
12.12.2012 , 11:50 AM | #3
Campaign Bracers/Belts. That is all.

Maestrodomus
12.12.2012 , 12:00 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelha View Post
Well, Cartel Market and recent updates are making sweeping oversights regarding crafting. While I've always enjoyed crafting, I wouldn't rely on it too heavily for a while, either for income or entertainment, until the cartel market comes into its own. My guess would be for the first expansion (Makeb?) before crafting gets a serious looking into.
You can still make a ton with augments but it's much more involved.

As far as the campaign stuff; it's not worth it, especially since they're currently 4th BiS compared to 63 modded shells, dread armor, and 61 modded shells.

Grashopper
12.12.2012 , 12:19 PM | #5
Don't forget Cybertech getting thrown under the bus as well, with the best ship parts being bought with Cartel Coins.

All I can say is thier apparent disregard for the community as they chase the almighty dollar never ceases to amaze me.

If only they would wake up and notice that "Free To Plays" don't typically craft. So, the people you are ignoring, or upsetting, are the exact folks you claim to be trying to grow.

"Common Sense Isn't."

Regards,

-GH

Heezdedjim
12.12.2012 , 12:45 PM | #6
Making 49 gear is not a good way to make money off these skills, and never has been. The time or credit cost of materials is huge, and the profit is nil because they're bested by even the lousy recruit set you get for free at 50, or the Tionese that you could get with trivial effort before the free gift.

The only money in these trades is augments and orange sets, particularly low level orange belts and bracers, if you have the creds and patience to camp GTN for the patterns. The mats are cheap to farm, the profit is good because supply is low (due to the stupidly rare drops on schematics for these two slots), and people gearing up alts will pay a healthy price for them because you're only competing with either super expensive legacy belts or the very rare event gear (which, thanks to cash shop, you can be sure we will not be seeing any more of ever, as the current Life Day "event" proves).

So far BW has been so incredibly lazy with the CM stuff that they can't manage to even repaint a couple spare belt and bracer patterns for the $12 recycled twentieth-repaint-of-the-same-old-skin sets they've dumped in there. So for now orange belts are still an easy sell, especially at low levels.

Once that's gone though, it's pretty much just augments. But it's been that way for a long time now. Don't expect to see any new itemization come into the game except through the cash shop, and you can be sure that anything which stands in the way of profit on "new" cash shop junk will swiftly be nerfed, broken, or stealth patched out of the game to make way for it.

wainot-keel
12.12.2012 , 12:51 PM | #7
I think they're even out the screwing over crafting skills.
First, the lvl 10 crystals with columi stats (take that Artifice !). Now the ship parts. And the tionese sets.
I think Biochem should be next. Level 10 implants with columi stats from cartel shop. Yes. That should do it.

Khevar
12.12.2012 , 02:20 PM | #8
Your experience is vastly different than mine. I spent quite a bit of time unlocking an excellent set of level 49 purple gear on my armormech, suitable for dps/healing Troopers and dps/healing Smugglers.

And yet, few people were interesting in paying for them, most of the people that took advantage of it were guildies who exchanged materials for gear.

As I've been leveling alts, it wasn't even worth crafting that gear for myself, as I have plenty of unused Columi/Rakata tokens in my cargo hold that I could use as a starting point for new characters (via moddable legacy gear).

The only significant profit I make with crafting is selling raw materials (rather than finished products). Bioware has done many things that reduces the effectiveness of crafting as an activity. Free Tionese is somewhere at the bottom of the list.

Maestrodomus
12.12.2012 , 04:53 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
Making 49 gear is not a good way to make money off these skills, and never has been. The time or credit cost of materials is huge, and the profit is nil because they're bested by even the lousy recruit set you get for free at 50, or the Tionese that you could get with trivial effort before the free gift.

The only money in these trades is augments and orange sets, particularly low level orange belts and bracers, if you have the creds and patience to camp GTN for the patterns. The mats are cheap to farm, the profit is good because supply is low (due to the stupidly rare drops on schematics for these two slots), and people gearing up alts will pay a healthy price for them because you're only competing with either super expensive legacy belts or the very rare event gear (which, thanks to cash shop, you can be sure we will not be seeing any more of ever, as the current Life Day "event" proves).

So far BW has been so incredibly lazy with the CM stuff that they can't manage to even repaint a couple spare belt and bracer patterns for the $12 recycled twentieth-repaint-of-the-same-old-skin sets they've dumped in there. So for now orange belts are still an easy sell, especially at low levels.

Once that's gone though, it's pretty much just augments. But it's been that way for a long time now. Don't expect to see any new itemization come into the game except through the cash shop, and you can be sure that anything which stands in the way of profit on "new" cash shop junk will swiftly be nerfed, broken, or stealth patched out of the game to make way for it.
You're entirely incorrect. I've made well over 100 million selling those and augments. You can easily sell them for twice their worth at roughly 20-30K profit per item. This greater than the average margin on Synth and Armor augment sales. The difference being the high volume at which you can move augments, but that requires a lot more effort to stay on top of fluctuating augmentator prices and withstand the peaks and valleys.

Heezdedjim
12.12.2012 , 08:11 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Maestrodomus View Post
You're entirely incorrect. I've made well over 100 million selling those and augments. You can easily sell them for twice their worth at roughly 20-30K profit per item. This greater than the average margin on Synth and Armor augment sales. The difference being the high volume at which you can move augments, but that requires a lot more effort to stay on top of fluctuating augmentator prices and withstand the peaks and valleys.
And you could have made 300 million doing something else with the same time and effort.