Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Cybertech] Grade 7 Parts on Cartel Market: Greed before Crafters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Cybertech] Grade 7 Parts on Cartel Market: Greed before Crafters

SCHodge
12.11.2012 , 11:54 PM | #1
Bioware,

As a subscriber from the beginning, it is extremely poor form of you to release schematics to the community and then turn around and sell the finished item on the Cartel Market, particularly when the schematics in question are costly to obtain in terms of in-game time. This is exactly the sort of short-sighted P2W behavior we were promised we would not see, and it only took two patches to appear.

You can try to micromonetize everything in sight if you want, but you'll destroy the game in the process. Something about geese, golden eggs, and the inability to procure an infinity of said eggs via vivisection.

Disgruntled Long-Time Subscriber/Undertapped Monetization Opportunity

SomeJagoff
12.12.2012 , 04:08 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by SCHodge View Post
Bioware,

As a subscriber from the beginning, it is extremely poor form of you to release schematics to the community and then turn around and sell the finished item on the Cartel Market, particularly when the schematics in question are costly to obtain in terms of in-game time. This is exactly the sort of short-sighted P2W behavior we were promised we would not see, and it only took two patches to appear.

You can try to micromonetize everything in sight if you want, but you'll destroy the game in the process. Something about geese, golden eggs, and the inability to procure an infinity of said eggs via vivisection.

Disgruntled Long-Time Subscriber/Undertapped Monetization Opportunity
hmm, this is definitely unfair to crafters, I see less of an incentive to grind for the schems now. Though, for 1300 cartel coins for the full set per toon, it's a pretty steep price to pay with RL money. Then again, that is the idea behind "Pay" to win, so I guess we'll see how the market is for these in the coming weeks. I have been rather surprised by how much RL money people have spent on stuff though, several of my guildies have dropped cash on cartel coins like it's candy and they're subs too. Bioware must be making a ton of money since the F2P launch, or EA, rather.
Lightsabers, Force Choke, Force Lightning, Jedi Mind Tricks, what else could you want from an MMO? There may be other MMOs out there, but do they have Lightsabers?....Do They?

Once you're in the hole, what's a few more feet?

parmie
12.12.2012 , 07:38 AM | #3
I was really looking forward to space missions, but with cybertech I was looking at something like 350 dailies for the schematic and item from daily vendor, 300k from the credits starship vendor for another piece and a staggering amount of fleet comms to get remaining pieces.

I thought the cartel market with its many adaptive sets and end game crystals for level 10s will kill off quite a bit of demand for craftable items. Disappointing this wasn't better balanced.

nbayer
12.12.2012 , 08:01 AM | #4
Give it time to cool down, the parts are getting sold on the gtn right now for insane prices. I bought a full set last night at 150k per piece. Once the rush dies down the prices will be more reasonable and then the parts will probably be profitable. There are plenty of people who will not purchase things from the cartel market and instead spend credits on the gtn.

Elear
12.12.2012 , 09:07 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by nbayer View Post
Give it time to cool down, the parts are getting sold on the gtn right now for insane prices. I bought a full set last night at 150k per piece. Once the rush dies down the prices will be more reasonable and then the parts will probably be profitable. There are plenty of people who will not purchase things from the cartel market and instead spend credits on the gtn.
No it won't die down. It'll remain a fact that they can always make money by selling those parts bought from market. Last I've checked there was steady supply of parts at 150% of price of single stabilizer. For people that don't have them(or other mats) just laying around or actively sell them, it'll never be good idea to buy those parts from crafters rather than GTN. Prices will go up, but never above cost of materials, making whole schematic useless.

nbayer
12.12.2012 , 09:39 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Elear View Post
No it won't die down. It'll remain a fact that they can always make money by selling those parts bought from market. Last I've checked there was steady supply of parts at 150% of price of single stabilizer. For people that don't have them(or other mats) just laying around or actively sell them, it'll never be good idea to buy those parts from crafters rather than GTN. Prices will go up, but never above cost of materials, making whole schematic useless.
Perhaps, if people are just trying to generate credits from the cartel market then are the ship parts the best CC to credit ratio? I don't personally know as I have never looked into that.

I would imagine the price is at more risk from space botters, they will be able to generate fleet comms pretty quickly and then just buy the piece from the vendor and post it on the gtn.

Kane_Ren
12.12.2012 , 09:52 AM | #7
All my alts have all the crafting and gathering skills maxxed, still bought the CM parts though. If I can ever get the right schematic to the right crafter and get a successful re or rare loot roll, all for an acceptable amount of time and credits, then sure I'll craft it. As it stands I feel I'm the unluckiest person in the world when it comes to crafting rolls, so I will buy to save time, credits and frustration. I pretty much craft for my alts and sell excess or unwanted mats if I need a few creds. I'm not looking to gouge the playerbase for credits, i do dailies for cash.
55 Scoundrel DPS - 55 Commando DPS - 55 Sentinel DPS - 55 Shadow Tank
55 Sniper DPS - 55 Operative - 55 Assassin -55 Inquisitor (no AC) - 55 Sorcerer
55 Juggernaut Tank - 55 Powertech Tank - 55 Sage Healer - 55 Guardian Tank -
55 Vanguard Tank - 55 Marauder - 55 Gunslinger DPS - 55 Merc DPS

-Damask-
12.12.2012 , 12:17 PM | #8
LOL this is the biggest disgrace I have ever seen in this game yet... Not only is 1300 CC not expensive (I spend more money on coffee and cigarettes every day) but the schematics are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced as are the ship parts themselves from the vendor.

First off you need to give everyone who bought a schematic from the vendor yesterday a full refund... Why the **** would anyone put up 4 stabilizers when they can buy the final part for 150k ??? And since there's no point in crafting them you should just take the schematic out of the game entirely. And those people who bought them already also deserve an apology.

I agree that in the scheme of things this does not greatly affect a p2w paradigm, since the weekly rewards from the missions are so terrible... 2 BH comms? really? you can get like 65 just from doing the weeklys and another 45 or so from dailies so another 10 wont make a huge difference but really that's not the point. The point is that you dare to tout this as a "Cybertech" thing when it clearly couldn't be remotely construed as a way for cybertechs to make money. I'm just waiting for the next impatient idiot to come along and post 10 pages of ship parts for 50k a piece like they were doing with the cartel armors last month. And while it may not make a huge difference it is stil a way for people to pay to get better gear which you said would not be happening... Whats next? Dread Guard comms available from the cartel market? You have to be able to see where this is going?

This is nothing more than a bad joke and a huge insult to all of us who love this game and don't want to see it destroyed by corporate greed. Keep the cartel market as it should be - vanity items that are cool but worthless as far as providing an advantage over others via stats and gear. **** if you want to make some money offer us some real speeders that actually go 110% faster that our normal speed (not our in combat speed) or legacy unlocks for QT / Fleet pass CDs (significant ones, not the laughable ones currently in game)... I mean seriously... Why the **** should the emperor's wrath have to wait just as long for a shuttle as a level 1 slave? Shouldn't VIPs get priority in the SW universe?

Khevar
12.12.2012 , 02:28 PM | #9
I was really excited at the idea of selling Grade 7 spaceship parts, especially close to the release of 1.6 and the initial buyers enthusiasm that the new space missions would bring to the GTN.

I was very disappointed to see the gear in the Cartel market. You have:

1. People with real world $$ that want to run the new space missions get them from the Cartel Market.
2. People who want to work the system by buying ship parts and selling them on the GTN, depressing prices.

Currently, the new gear is being sold for less than the materials cost.

If they HAD to put the space parts in the Cartel Market, couldn't they at LEAST have made them bound and not sellable? This would prevent the people spending $$ to tip the market over.

Tironum
12.12.2012 , 04:57 PM | #10
I am completely disgusted that this happened. I AM COMPLETELY DISGUSTED!!!!

There are many players who enjoy crafting and they just offered us a delicious steak and swapped it for a steaming pile of bantha fodder. Nice bait and switch...

A suggestion for the future - if you want to sell the items for cash, put the items in the Cartel market 6 weeks after the schematics are released.
Fuhz'guot, Arsenal Mercenary on The Ebon Hawk
Officer, Progeny of Sorrow