Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Devako
12.11.2012 , 09:56 PM | #331
Quote: Originally Posted by star-forge View Post
2hrs 40 minutes and it CTD with no error messages
That's how often mine crashes, exactly the same time frame in between crashes almost. Just as it crashes the sound goes mute for like 3 seconds then unmutes then silent again which freezes the game client and CTD follows every time it occurs. Been playing since Beta and never had this problem until 1.2. Also, sometimes when my net disconnects it will freeze up at the server select screen, then only way out of the client is to shutdown the game via ALT+CTRL+DELETE.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of a man. And those who've hunted armed men long enough, and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade!

OwenBrooks
12.11.2012 , 10:00 PM | #332
Quote: Originally Posted by RoM_FantaZ View Post
1-Tomb of Freedon Nadd
2-All my characters : Hurusma/Evelyna/An'riya/Dashrek/Drevela
3-Pretty frequent. Maybe once for every hour played. Sometimes closer, sometimes nothing
4-Seems to happens all random : in warzones, in ops, with and without parser/teamspeak running
Spoiler

6-Strangely last crash of today didn't register. I will post if I manage to catch the next one.

7-It's indeed a crash to desktop but I often have to return to the server selection screen. Usually he sound goes into a loop and the crash comes 2 or 3 second after that. I also have to log my character that was long during the crash (logging another character will result on a display error text telling me that my previous character is still logged)
try running the game with crossfire disabled this has been known to cause issues

AoDay
12.11.2012 , 10:09 PM | #333
1. Prophecy of the Five

2. AoDay, Skibi

3. 1-2 times per hour

4. Usually occurs during loading screens when entering/exiting new areas such as war zones.

5. Log 1

Spoiler

Rest of log and additional answers below.

AoDay
12.11.2012 , 10:11 PM | #334
5. Log 2
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. They have consistently been crashes to the desktop or complete screen freezes that require me to use the task manager to quit.

OwenBrooks
12.11.2012 , 10:34 PM | #335
AoDay
Please disable mumble it has issues with windows 8

Problem signature:
P1: swtor.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 50c2907b
P4: mumble_ol.dll
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 4d6039c9
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000f527
P9:
P10:

blazefighter
12.11.2012 , 10:55 PM | #336
1. The Harbinger
2. All of them
3. about every 1.5-2 hours
4. watching my memory usage .. as soon as swtor.exe thread 1 reaches 1.68gb and swtor.exe thread 2 reaches 400mb it crashes. This occurs on my desktop, which is a mid-range PC that I can run all settings on high and is windows 7 32bit. On my laptop, which is a low end (including a built in intel graphics card with windows 7 64bit - NO CRASHES.
5. This is a CTD, not a disconnect.

Prior to 1.4 (i've been in game since day 1) I never had a single crash. After 1.4 my desktop crashes consistently. No warning, just straight to desktop. Seriously - this is a memory leak issue that 32bit can't handle.

I'm getting just a little sick of seeing patches and updates that don't address this issue. It needs to be a high priority issue please. We see loading screens between planets, areas, fps and ops - so how about unloading the resources used prior to loading the new resources for the new location that I'm going to? It might not solve your memory leak issue - but it would definitely help those with a 32bit system.

Thank you

Togra_blah
12.11.2012 , 11:01 PM | #337
1.Name of server.
The Harbinger
2.Name of character(s) affected
All - does not seem to be character specific
3.Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often?
Varies - rarely make it more than a few hours b4 a crash. I can provide (many) more Events from Windows XP's Event Log if wished.
4.Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.
1. Moving from inner to outer ring on Imperial Fleet Station. 2. Multiple audio events at the same time (IE starting NPC Conversation at the same time a Crew Mission is finishing and Crew Member is going to say the "Mission Complete" dialogue). 3. Stupid Realtek has not updated their HD Audio Driver in 6 months. 4. Mid-loading a new planet/area.
5.Your DXDiag in spoiler tags
Spoiler

6.Your reliability report in spoiler tags
Spoiler

Here's another Event in the Log 2 sec after the one listed above. It seems that the CTD's (generally) happen in pairs of Events upon browsing the Event Log - if you need more Evens from the Log, just ask - i have quite a few i can share.
Spoiler

7.Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select.
Confirming CTD - have been using Microsoft Error Reporting to share them with MS when the option pops up which happens for most, but not all of the CTD's.
Green for the grass, blue for the sky, both are gems to be treasured.

DanFozRan
12.12.2012 , 06:22 AM | #338
Quote: Originally Posted by Moojaki View Post
I had this issue since Sept or so.... I enabled the 3GB switch in Windows (google "enable 3gb switch" for instructions) and have not crashed since. I am using 32-bit Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM.

The swtor process still grows over time, so it will crash eventually... but crashing every 8-9 hours is much more tolerable than every 90 minutes.
Thank you very very much.

ostromen
12.12.2012 , 09:13 AM | #339
1. Red Eclipse

2. Babay'ka

3. After the last patch was impossible to play. The game crashes to the desktop after 1-3 minutes of play. Before the latest patch crashes to the desktop have been, but not so often - every few hours. Since I do not f2p player and pay the subscription, I have a very frustrating existence crushes to the desktop and the inability to play.

4. It's nothing. Just run on the location and all, after 1-3 minutes the game crashes to the desktop.

Spoiler

6. I followed your instructions for Windows XP, but it did not give any result. In the event log there is no information on the swtor.exe

7. Crash to desktop, with no error message from windows, the games just freezes for a sec and then im in the desk, with the screen settings changued.

Thank you. I hope for your help as soon as possible

Ifolad
12.12.2012 , 11:41 AM | #340
Server: The Shadowlands
Crash frequency: at least 2-3 times per day
Activities during crash: Load screens, running around fleet, during combat in operations. I have helped aleviate this one by closing game and restarting just prior to entering the operation but it still happens. CTD happens more often when i have ventrillo running and less often when I have it not running.
Behaviors of the crash itself: Starts getting very laggy and behave as if i'm getting severe packet loss, acts as if i'm losing my internet but diagnostic says my internet isn't experiencing any connection issues, client will go "not responding" and crash to desktop. This behavior even effects ventrillo and users in my channel cannot hear me or report that i'm breaking up while this is happening. During the crash itself the game will stop for a few seconds and freeze, then will start for a few seconds albiet with a huge lag spike, then game will crash shortly (within a few ms).
CTD happens most frequently if I'm toon hopping repeatedly which I do from time to time if i'm crafting as i have every crafter and crew skill in game.