Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking mechanics in The Old Republic

Kitru
12.11.2012 , 07:03 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
It's similar to the +100 sexypoints of protection on a chain main bikini. It's a secret discovered by the entertainment industry: Style offers more protection than practicality.
I always thought chain mail bikinis were more effective than full armor because they were always enchanted with special magical effects that cause weapons to naturally be drawn to them, away from vulnerable flesh areas. The "blinded by style" reasoning is always effective though, it would be hard to explain how some beasts and other aberrant, inhuman creatures are still affected by the sexy defenses, unless style and sexy are somehow universal constants (which would explain why every sentient creature on the planet follows the same anthopomorphic style).

/takingittoofar
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Raekor
12.11.2012 , 09:36 PM | #12
Quote:
Thank you for an excellent reply.

I will look into my strategies for TFB. If there is a video from a tank POV please point me to it. all i have seen is people tanking on upper platforms, so naturally that is what i did.
I must repeat that unmitigated dmg is a joke, especially when tanks have it so much harder in gearing up (since healers and dps both use crt/power while we use 2 entirely different sets of gear for tnaking and dps)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Ig5...layer_embedded

Think this is an old kill, or our very first one. At 07:28 the person recording kills an anomaly and it shows the left tank getting hit by the melee attack. Seven melee attacks, jump to the outer platform to drop acid, jump back down to take scream. I can do that with a 300ms ping. When the tentacles are at the back you can also use the platform directly in front of him so the DPS at the back can get out to kill anomalies. Not sure if that is shown in the vid.

RandomXChance
12.11.2012 , 10:51 PM | #13
As someone who runs well geared Jugg and Assasin Tanks, I know what you mean. Healers that have run with both my tanks in the same ops comment how the Juggernaut is a little easier.

On the other hand, I run in two groups that clear HM TfB and NM EC, and both have 1 Jugg and 1 Assasin. The fact that at critical moments an Assasin Tank can become immune to F/T attacks for 5 seconds once per minute can make all the difference. Just tonight in NM EC, we killed Firebrand and Stormcaller enrages. I taunt, pop Force Shroud to become immune to his damage, and the DPS finishes the job.

As an Assasin Tank you have different strengths and weaknesses. Expecting to operate the same as the other classes is a mistake and not playing to your strength.

As a side note, if you do not see the charges on Dark Ward diminishing, that means you are taking F/T and operate as needed.

KeyboardNinja
12.12.2012 , 11:49 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Brokor View Post
Thank you for an excellent reply.

I will look into my strategies for TFB. If there is a video from a tank POV please point me to it. all i have seen is people tanking on upper platforms, so naturally that is what i did.
I must repeat that unmitigated dmg is a joke, especially when tanks have it so much harder in gearing up (since healers and dps both use crt/power while we use 2 entirely different sets of gear for tnaking and dps)
As promised: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT6yM...ature=youtu.be Sorry for the low quality. It's a long fight, and YouTube isn't particularly fond of multi-gigabyte uploads.

This is slightly less informative than it could be, since the boss is currently bugged (which we discovered live on camera), but it gives the general idea. The main thing is timing out the slime in the second phase so that you can move back to the upper platform just in time to plant it there, rather than on the lower platform. I use Resilience whenever I move up, and as long as I don't take more than 2 spits, I take no unmitigated damage (aside from the Scream) during the entire second and third phases.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

mxlm
12.12.2012 , 07:04 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Raekor View Post
Seven melee attacks
You can wait until after the eighth and final melee attack, although perhaps 300ms ping makes you not want to risk it?

Raekor
12.12.2012 , 07:07 PM | #16
Pretty much. 7 or 8, I like to move at 7. One of his ranged attacks is going to stress the healers less than several at the start of your next turn to tank whilst waiting for the pool to disappear.