Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

life day items on cartel market insulting.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
life day items on cartel market insulting.

LeMage's Avatar


LeMage
12.11.2012 , 07:18 PM | #611
Quote: Originally Posted by MiraniSedai View Post
The unfortunate thing is they will get away with it. At least enough to justify continuing it. Many people ARE going to buy the stuff even if just to sell on the GTN.

The only thing any one of us can do that feel strongly about this situation is simply not buy the stuff.
Not getting away with it for me. Granted there are some things in the shop I like even if for looks only BUT I will NOT ever buy a "holiday event' item. I don't mind questing for holiday items or getting them given to me like some games, b/c lets face it the holiday item quests are more fun than onerous (mostly), But buy these items for real cash? NO, NAY, NEVER.

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
12.11.2012 , 07:22 PM | #612
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowspyre View Post
You're definitely right.
The part that bugs me the most is that the one way to send the message (i.e. - "With your wallet") would probably only serve to kill the game; given it's EA we're dealing with they'd probably cut their losses and run.

They need to learn to listen to their customers more and read posts like these, instead of just ignoring it and counting their money. It would also help if big companies like EA and Activision just stepped back, and went to more a role of providing money to BioWare and Blizzard so long as they're still intending to make a good and interesting product. Let the developers develop, y'know?

Now, hey, I accept that I could be completely 100% wrong but... That's just how I feel on it. Maybe we'll get lucky and the industry will finally learn it's not just about always meeting that deadline on the EXACT date; sometimes waiting helps (ME3), sometimes it's not about throwing as much money about something as possible at the risk of low profit (SWTOR).

And it's not always just the short run. Does catering more to the Cartel Shop help their business model and make more money in the short run? Yes. But with the current trend, in the long run you're going to alienate all but the select few who will put up with it (as a poster in this thread previously stated).

And don't think I'm trying to say that money isn't important because people need to eat, bills need to get paid, etc. But money shouldn't be the sole focus, y'know?

EA, ActiVision, Capcom... Square Enix, even.
Do us all a favor and start caring about the games again.

NOTE: Not meant to be a melodrama post. XD Just a bit o' frustration vent.
Spot on.

Building to release, the focus was story. That was awesome, and a trend I wish had continued.
Post-release, the focus was MMO endgame. Less awesome, but tolerable (particularly with more story coming).

Post-F2P, the focus has become the Cartel Shop. A payment "option" has become the focus for development rather than focusing on the gameplay itself. Innovation has left the building, quite literally, it seems, with the departure of so many people.

SithEmpress's Avatar


SithEmpress
12.11.2012 , 07:31 PM | #613
Quote: Originally Posted by Korusus View Post
I don't think that's the problem. Everything on the cash shop sucks. The problem is the lack of any effort on BioWare's part in regards to the holiday or the 1 year anniversary. Literally 0 effort to mark either occasions. None.

You could set your watch by the lack of effort.
^This is how I feel, I just wish they actual put some real effort into the game beside the cartel market. As other said, all the other major MMO are doing celebration with fun quest and things to get the community together, along with normal updates. We have to buy things to even celebrate, that is sad. This was there chance to make an event to for the players to remember the game first year by and they did nothing.

mentalmackem's Avatar


mentalmackem
12.11.2012 , 07:47 PM | #614
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
Yes, because regardless of what you think of them or the reasons we got them, they were indeed given out to subscribers for free, in addition to the Cartel Coins we already got and will continue to receive as subscribers. The poster I was responding to claimed they received nothing in the past year except for the fireworks pack, which was an incorrect statement I thus corrected.
I clearly read his post different to you, i read it as we only got fireworks to celebrate 1 year of the game where most games tend to like to celebrate there anniversarys in more extravigant ways lets just say, give the players something to keep and remember that first year anniversary as.



Quote:
Why do I hang pictures on the wall? Why to I drive up to the top of the mountain to sit and watch Mother Nature in action for an afternoon? Why do I just sit in a chair and watch my 7 year old daughter paint pictures with her fingers? Why do I buy certain ornaments to hang on my Christmas Tree?

BJ
Well lets look at it like this, you buy a picture and hang it on the wall, you have a physical item that you can keep forever, hand down to your children, be the talking point of convesations with friends.

You go to the top of the mountain to sit and watch mother nature yes, but watching mother nature is free, you dont pay your petrol to get to the top of the mountain to be then told oh year thats a extra $20 to see the view and again the mountain will always be there in your life if you wish to keep going back in 10 years time and tell your kids about it.

You watch your Daughter paint pictures with her fingers because that is the joy of being a parent that is a precious memory you can talk to your grandkids about and again the picture can be kept in the family and shown to grandkids of what there mam painted when she was a child, once again a physical item that is there forever.

Im sure your getting the point here but let me move to the christmas tree, you buy orniments for the tree, again they are a physical item that you can keep for life and like my family do (if you choose to) can hand down to your kids to put on there trees because its a physical item so again it has meaning and brings joy for years to come and has memorys attached to it

With all these items you dont first pay for something then need to pay more, for example you dont need to pay $20 a year to put that orniment on your xmas tree, you dont need to pay $20 a year to put that painting on your wall or whenever you move it, you dont need to pay $20 a year to look at the view from the top of that mountain after uve drove up it and you dont need to pay $20 a year to show your daughters paintings she does as a child to people.

What you have used is a reall really bad way of trying to prove your point because everything you have mentioned is a perminent item that can be shown to others and handed down in many years, its also a 1 off payment for most things u mention and no payment for the others.

The items in the store that your paying real life cash for will be ingame until they shut the servers or until u quit and dont come back then they are gone forever you wont see them again.

This is the reason the things you mentioned will bring you Joy and keep you entertained while the thing ingame is it a vitual item you feel no achievement from getting that you have been charged however much to have that when bacially you are renting it untilt he game shuts.

MM

mentalmackem's Avatar


mentalmackem
12.11.2012 , 07:52 PM | #615
Quote: Originally Posted by MoltenRog View Post
Life day wasn't around until 1ABY there is no history on it in the Old Republic, the fact that its in, is basically adding non-canon equipment for your leisure, plus the amount of people qq'd about it like 6 months ago.

Not Canon,
Theres no mention of it until 1ABY but there is no evidence to say thats when it was first celebrated

slimboi's Avatar


slimboi
12.11.2012 , 07:56 PM | #616
Quote: Originally Posted by BounceDK View Post
Thank god I didn't pay for 6 months of this bs. I've never seen a company run an mmo this bad.
This ^. X11000000000000

BJWyler's Avatar


BJWyler
12.11.2012 , 08:03 PM | #617
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalmackem View Post
I clearly read his post different to you, i read it as we only got fireworks to celebrate 1 year of the game where most games tend to like to celebrate there anniversarys in more extravigant ways lets just say, give the players something to keep and remember that first year anniversary as.
Perhaps, in which case I can understand the frustration. However, it's not one I share. I was going to respond to the post above yours in regards to this, but here will do fine. While it seems tradition and what-not to have said celebrations in games, I certainly don't miss the fact that SWTOR is not going to be one of them at this point. For me, you don't always have to "copy" what every one else is doing. SWTOR is a game set in a unique universe - I am if not glad, let's say "Refreshed" for the fact that they did not decide to go ahead with the cliche of celebrations that really mean nothing to the in game setting as it is. The Life Day speeder is more than enough Cheeze for me at this point.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalmackem View Post
Well lets look at it like this, you buy a picture and hang it on the wall, you have a physical item that you can keep forever, hand down to your children, be the talking point of convesations with friends.
<snip>
This is the reason the things you mentioned will bring you Joy and keep you entertained while the thing ingame is it a vitual item you feel no achievement from getting that you have been charged however much to have that when bacially you are renting it untilt he game shuts.

MM
No? How about this then - why do I go to my favorite restaurant and order the same dish each time?
I do have to keep paying for my telephone in order to enjoy that. I have to keep paying for my Internet to enjoy that.
Nothing is forever, not even memories as it turns out. Regardless of that fact, they still bring me joy.
I once thought as you did which is why I shied away from MMOs until GW1 was released. I then realized, that no matter how sad that day may come (as witnessed by SWG and CoH in recent times), the joy those things give me now still outweighs the sadness that will one day come to pass. It's the same reason I continue to be a pet owner, even though I know and have already experienced (several times) the heartache that comes with it.

Quote: Originally Posted by WookieIsshe View Post
I think you are gonna be totally surprised when you find out that the SSSP is not an on rails coop. I won't say how I know on here but if you want I can send you a PM I got with some inside information on what the SSSP is.
Oooo, Oooo, Me Me!! I promise I won't tell!!!

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more

mentalmackem's Avatar


mentalmackem
12.11.2012 , 08:04 PM | #618
Quote: Originally Posted by slimboi View Post
This ^. X11000000000000
Sadly i have 3 months left on my sub, more non event cartel market items and il cut and run plenty of good mmos out there and some good new games lined up for release.

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
12.11.2012 , 08:07 PM | #619
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
Perhaps, in which case I can understand the frustration. However, it's not one I share. I was going to respond to the post above yours in regards to this, but here will do fine. While it seems tradition and what-not to have said celebrations in games, I certainly don't miss the fact that SWTOR is not going to be one of them at this point. For me, you don't always have to "copy" what every one else is doing. SWTOR is a game set in a unique universe - I am if not glad, let's say "Refreshed" for the fact that they did not decide to go ahead with the cliche of celebrations that really mean nothing to the in game setting as it is. The Life Day speeder is more than enough Cheeze for me at this point.
What you (and BioWare) seem to be missing is that Life Day is not Christmas. It's an equivalent holiday, sure, but they're not the same thing. Christmas lights and a snowblower have no place in this universe, particularly in tandem with Life Day.

Before SW:TOR release, the developers stated that we would have in-game holidays, but not ones rife with real world allusions like WoW. It's unfortunate that not only are we not getting those events, but real world references abound.

mentalmackem's Avatar


mentalmackem
12.11.2012 , 08:15 PM | #620
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
Perhaps, in which case I can understand the frustration. However, it's not one I share. I was going to respond to the post above yours in regards to this, but here will do fine. While it seems tradition and what-not to have said celebrations in games, I certainly don't miss the fact that SWTOR is not going to be one of them at this point. For me, you don't always have to "copy" what every one else is doing. SWTOR is a game set in a unique universe - I am if not glad, let's say "Refreshed" for the fact that they did not decide to go ahead with the cliche of celebrations that really mean nothing to the in game setting as it is. The Life Day speeder is more than enough Cheeze for me at this point.
Hillbilly lawn mower with lights on, i also hate it


Quote:
No? How about this then - why do I go to my favorite restaurant and order the same dish each time?
I do have to keep paying for my telephone in order to enjoy that. I have to keep paying for my Internet to enjoy that.
Nothing is forever, not even memories as it turns out. Regardless of that fact, they still bring me joy.
I once thought as you did which is why I shied away from MMOs until GW1 was released. I then realized, that no matter how sad that day may come (as witnessed by SWG and CoH in recent times), the joy those things give me now still outweighs the sadness that will one day come to pass. It's the same reason I continue to be a pet owner, even though I know and have already experienced (several times) the heartache that comes with it.



Oooo, Oooo, Me Me!! I promise I won't tell!!!

BJ
yes you do have to keep paying for your telephone to enjoy that and your internet to enjoy that, i dont know where you live so this may not apply to you but where i live the package we are on we pay line rental for the phone and have free calls evening and weekend, nobody is in during the day so we are not paying more than the line rental which in this case would be the subscription, same with the internet, i have no download limit so i pay a flat rate a month (again the subsription) and nothing more ontop of that for the internet, the meal on the other hand yes you pay for the meal but you dont pay like a monthly sub to be allowed to go to the resteraunt to be able to then buy the meal, GW2 has cash shop items and the event to go with it which is a good way to go i think.

SWG had some good star wars events which i like, if its in the lore im good with it, my problem comes if things are lore breaking aka the SWG ewok festival of love with people running round in cupid wings with choclate fountains of ewoks :s that i didnt like it was lore breaking. Events are good tied in with the lore and the life day is a big event in the star wars universe (specially for our furry kashyyk friends). The speeder they have put in for life day or whatever they wana call it is lorebreaking for me, it has nothing to do with life day it is a red speeder with christmas tree lights hung round it.

I dont care if they have orbs speeders whatever in the Cartel market i really dont but put some fluff in for events ingame also not all in the cash store.

I think this is something we need to agree to disagree on we both have very different strong views on the subject and i hope its not viewed as a argument because i have not seen it as one.

MM

ps. i saw the mm me me comment, i wont comment on the BJ signiture