Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Time for a PvP Fix

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

fungihoujo's Avatar


fungihoujo
12.11.2012 , 03:15 PM | #211
Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
so this person makes a thread about sorcs needing buffs in various areas, and bioware comes and and says its got plans for the nerf bat application
I made it worse didn't I?

/VADERNOOOOOOOOO

MidichIorian's Avatar


MidichIorian
12.11.2012 , 06:19 PM | #212
1.6 = Huge nerf to sorcs.

All rage spec players will now have the gear to smash your full WH sorc/sage for 7K. The gear disparity pre-1.6 is what still made it a tolerable enviroment but those days are going to be gone in a week or so.

fungihoujo's Avatar


fungihoujo
12.11.2012 , 07:17 PM | #213
Quote: Originally Posted by MidichIorian View Post
1.6 = Huge nerf to sorcs.

All rage spec players will now have the gear to smash your full WH sorc/sage for 7K. The gear disparity pre-1.6 is what still made it a tolerable enviroment but those days are going to be gone in a week or so.
When BM was boosted and WH put in- that already happened due to our poor scaling.

Honestly- if we scaled as well as other classes did, there wouldn't be any problems to begin with... well, other than being destroyed in 5 seconds- but that's a TTK problem with this game in general.

Timias's Avatar


Timias
12.14.2012 , 11:05 PM | #214
Wall of Text on the way .. sorry ...

Quote: Originally Posted by APeckenpaugh View Post
There's too much here to comment on, but I noticed a lot of people repeating "the bubble is getting nerfed. BW already said so." So I figured that could use some clarification.

We're currently undergoing a lot of class rebalance for a future major patch, so it's an understatement to say that things aren't locked down yet. However, the problem with Backlash (Lightning's incapacitate on Static Barrier) is mostly that it can be applied to any target, making an entire team of allies stun-bubbled. Since this is such great utility for the Lightning Sorcerer, we don't want to change the effect of Backlash, but we are considering making the Backlash effect only apply to the original caster - so you only get a Backlash when you put your Static Barrier on yourself.

That's just the current idea. We don't have any plans on making Static Barrier or Backlash worse than it currently is for the Sorcerer that uses it.

We're aware that even this change lowers the amount of group support Lightning offers, so that's something we have to figure out before we can pull the trigger on Backlash.

I wish I could tell you guys more, but there isn't enough locked down yet. Rest assured, it's not as simple as "too good - nerf. Next."
I've heard "We have no plans" before, and what did we get? What you said you had planned not to do. I also recall being told by one of the former Developers during Beta: "Just find the bugs, we don't want or need your suggestions". Why not just make all the PvP whiners happy, and remove the Sorcerer / Sage completely from the game. PvP has cried about the bubble in any state from the very beginning of the game, including Beta:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=234784
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=180805
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=228790
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=222094

And for the record, the "bubble" is NOT a heal. Heal means to restore health, it restores nothing. It is a (small) defensive damage mitigator. It prevents a small amount of damage from getting through.

And let us not forget the Sorcerer's Force Lighting:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=31622
(Make sure you check out post #3)

The Sorcerer has already been reduced from "Most Feared" to a "handy Support Class" when better damage classes aren't available.

http://www.swtor.com/holonet/classes/sith-inquisitor

Though their skills are varied and many, Sith Inquisitors are most feared for their ability to channel the energy of the Force, making them a spectacle to behold on the battlefield. Seething sparks of lightning explode from the Inquisitors’ fingertips and wrap their enemies in tendrils of pure Force energy. Because Inquisitors can twist the Force into lightning to stun, subdue, or destroy their foes, it has become their signature. Those who have experienced the sensation of the Inquisitor’s Force Lightning and survived forever recoil from the crackling sound of electricity.

So why not do everyone (except for those few of us who still play a Sorcerer) a favor, and remove the class entirely from the game. It's the direction that I see this class headed.

In my opinion, the Sage / Sorcerer should be more like the Jedi Consular's of KotOR I and II, feared at any range, Devastating at both Melee and Ranged attacks. (But that's a pipe dream, and removing the class is more likely to happen than actually making the class what it is supposed to be. Feared.)

I also fully understand the "official" response in this thread from EA is simply to placate the Sorcerers / Sages until the next class destroying nerf hits us. And it will, and it's planned, and you know it.

By the way, give us our Overload 360 back, or change every knockback, as well as Smash to a cone. And give us our ranged electrocute back while you're at it.

What do I expect to get? Static Barrier will be self only, with a 1 minute cool down, and a 2 second cast time. But the damage mitigation will be increased by 5%, so it can be called a Buff and not a Nerf. Electric Bindings and Backlash will be removed as options to be spec'd into.
Level 50 Sorcerer (DPS - Now mostly retired - crafting only, thank you BioWare)
Level 50 Juggernaut (Tank) - Level 50 Mercenary (DPS)
Level 50 Sniper (Crafting Character - wanted the buff)

fungihoujo's Avatar


fungihoujo
12.15.2012 , 12:18 AM | #215
Quote: Originally Posted by Timias View Post

Though their skills are varied and many, Sith Inquisitors are most feared for their ability to channel the energy of the Force, making them a spectacle to behold on the battlefield. Seething sparks of lightning explode from the Inquisitors’ fingertips and wrap their enemies in tendrils of pure Force energy. Because Inquisitors can twist the Force into lightning to stun, subdue, or destroy their foes, it has become their signature. Those who have experienced the sensation of the Inquisitor’s Force Lightning and survived forever recoil from the crackling sound of electricity.

So why not do everyone (except for those few of us who still play a Sorcerer) a favor, and remove the class entirely from the game. It's the direction that I see this class headed.

In my opinion, the Sage / Sorcerer should be more like the Jedi Consular's of KotOR I and II, feared at any range, Devastating at both Melee and Ranged attacks. (But that's a pipe dream, and removing the class is more likely to happen than actually making the class what it is supposed to be. Feared.)

I also fully understand the "official" response in this thread from EA is simply to placate the Sorcerers / Sages until the next class destroying nerf hits us. And it will, and it's planned, and you know it.

By the way, give us our Overload 360 back, or change every knockback, as well as Smash to a cone. And give us our ranged electrocute back while you're at it.

What do I expect to get? Static Barrier will be self only, with a 1 minute cool down, and a 2 second cast time. But the damage mitigation will be increased by 5%, so it can be called a Buff and not a Nerf. Electric Bindings and Backlash will be removed as options to be spec'd into.
Ah the good old days... when I could combat stealth, put up 10k protection bubbles 4 times in a single fight, Force Lightning stunned and even flame jets couldn't hurt a sorc, we could nullify all CC on us at will... oh it just goes on- we were a good class before we got nerfed.

I don't know how we had a 31/31/31 talent tree... in both sorc and sins and still ended up with more powerful abilities than were possible- but when we did have that, we were good weren't we?

Also- good suggestion on our next buff- seems legit, do you have insider knowledge on BW?

Timias's Avatar


Timias
12.15.2012 , 01:15 AM | #216
Quote: Originally Posted by fungihoujo View Post
Also- good suggestion on our next buff- seems legit, do you have insider knowledge on BW?
Just past experience from Beta until present ....
Level 50 Sorcerer (DPS - Now mostly retired - crafting only, thank you BioWare)
Level 50 Juggernaut (Tank) - Level 50 Mercenary (DPS)
Level 50 Sniper (Crafting Character - wanted the buff)

AdmiralParmesan's Avatar


AdmiralParmesan
12.15.2012 , 10:37 PM | #217
Here are some more ideas I came up with for buffing the sorc class. Hopefully maybe one of my ideas will even be considered by bioware lol

Full madness.
-overload slows targets by 30% for 3 seconds
-when static barrier breaks from damage it roots all target within 4meters for 1 second and makes you immune to roots and snares for 3 seconds.

Full lightning
-Lightning surge (new ability) knocks back enemies around the caster back 20 meters. Does not activate a global cooldown, usable while stunned.
- Polarity shift has a 30 second lower cooldown and removes the remaining cooldown time of force speed
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

fungihoujo's Avatar


fungihoujo
12.15.2012 , 11:52 PM | #218
One thing I'll say is absolutely a must is for us to get a ranged 'auto attack' we can use while moving- I'd suggest making LS a mobile cast spell- it does damage comparable to other class auto attacks. Every other ranged class has this- no excuse for us to not have it too especially considering we're a class that depends on mobility for survival since we have zero defensive CDs, no CC breakers and are the squishiest class in the game.

AdmiralParmesan's Avatar


AdmiralParmesan
12.16.2012 , 02:31 PM | #219
Although making lightning strike an instant cast woud be a nerf to the hybrid specs, it really wouldn't be very different besides maybe hurting pve damage some. Since the global cooldown is 1.5 seeconds and the base cast time of Lightning strike is 1.5 seconds it would be about the same and would certainly give us more mobility.

Other ideas

-Polarity shift makes us immune to pulls and knockbacks for the duration

-Force slow makes our dots unable to be removed
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

fungihoujo's Avatar


fungihoujo
12.16.2012 , 06:47 PM | #220
Quote: Originally Posted by AdmiralParmesan View Post
Although making lightning strike an instant cast woud be a nerf to the hybrid specs, it really wouldn't be very different besides maybe hurting pve damage some. Since the global cooldown is 1.5 seeconds and the base cast time of Lightning strike is 1.5 seconds it would be about the same and would certainly give us more mobility.

Other ideas

-Polarity shift makes us immune to pulls and knockbacks for the duration

-Force slow makes our dots unable to be removed
I don't mind not having LS instant- you could still make it cast as long as you could move while casting, kind of like how steady shot works for hunters- a low damage (and LS already is very low damage) ability you can use while moving to build resource (which is what LS does for lightning spec).

About the cast time of it being instant- as you said, it's the same as the GCD. I think alacrity should effect the GCD though- alacrity as it stands is the most useless stat in the game for everyone, first off it doesn't give much per point- second, unless I'm missing something it doesn't effect GCD.

If alacrity were to, say- decrease spell casts, GCD and increase resource regen it might actually become a useful stat for once.