Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Trooper story really THAT boring? If so should i be Smuggler or Councilar?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is Trooper story really THAT boring? If so should i be Smuggler or Councilar?

hunterthesloth
12.11.2012 , 04:19 PM | #61
Im have a 50 vanguard and the story is great, especially if you play darkside. I mean it has its ups and downs. But chapter 3 is great and chapter 1, chapter 2 is the weakest. But all in all its a good story, (the agent story is where its at though )
Imperial Entanglements
The Blackwalker Legacy
"...Your only hope for survival is complete and utter loyalty"
Its Star Wars not Ground Wars

ZirusZero
12.11.2012 , 04:28 PM | #62
With the Counsular story, you need a lot of patience. The smuggler story however, is good right off the bat. Be a smuggler, the galaxy is your oyster.
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunityDroidEN View Post
After our Shenanigans radar sounded off, we quickly hurried to this thread to see what was going on. Upon inspection of the reported Shenanigans, we have removed a few posts to prevent further Shenanigans from taking place.

Caelith
12.11.2012 , 11:10 PM | #63
I just started a consular (only level 16) and i am liking it so far, the story seems more believable than the JK one so far.

Then again i'm loving the Inquisitor story and alot of people found that boring.
The siege of Coruscant was in fact brought to an end after the republic agreed to give the Empire a Shrubbery, one that looked nice and wasn't too expensive.

SnoggyMack
12.12.2012 , 11:09 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by XCantaloupeX View Post
Okay so I was wondering if there is any point in the trooper story where you actually lead a group of soldiers, so it actually makes you feel like a commander. In many of the progression videos it shows the jedi or trooper or something leading 3 or 4 troops into battle. I am yet to see this, does this happen?
Spoiler
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

Chestnut_Bowl
12.12.2012 , 11:54 AM | #65
Trooper and Imperial Agent have the best storylines. Smuggler and Consular have been my least favorite.

ZakMorgan
12.16.2012 , 04:30 PM | #66
I wish I didn't play the Agent story first, all the other stories have been bland in comparison.

That being said I do really like the Smuggler storyline. Doesn't fall into the epic yet cliched 'save the world' thing you have going on with the Jedi Knight or 'being the most powerful, feared sith evaar!' with the Sith Warrior, but thats why I like it. Its one series of amusing shenanigans after another with some witty dialogue, quirky characters and just a taste of the seedy underworld.

The Consular story was boring, very boring in fact. The person who called it an 'acquired taste' here I suspect is the one responsible for writing it.

The trooper story was meh, but again I don't particularly care for soldier types or anything to do with a military ethos. I just find all that gun-toting and 'get some!' mentality tedious. Though I suspect the class would have been more interesting on the Imperial side.
Founder, and proud Agent since day one

WickedDjinn
12.16.2012 , 05:24 PM | #67
The problem with asking which storyline is best is that, for most people, it comes down to personal preference. Some people don't like the Smuggler storyline because its not epic enough for them. That's not a fair critique of the actual storyline. It's more like saying, "I don't like the smuggler storyline because I don't like being a smuggler."

The only way to find out which you like is to try them. The only storyline I would say is flat out badly written is the Sith Inquisitor.

CrimsonOrigin
12.17.2012 , 03:18 AM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Chestnut_Bowl View Post
Trooper and Imperial Agent have the best storylines. Smuggler and Consular have been my least favorite.
This...This is a weird post.

For sure, without a doubt, if you want to play for story: Imperial Agent.
People don't scream IA's story without a reason, it is literally fantastic. So much that the writer was hired off Bioware for bigger projects. Don't worry though, he supposedly has written up to chapter 6 for the IA.

I have really heard discouraging thoughts about the Trooper. However, I feel like many expect more war-themes and then are let down when sent on more specific, small strike force teams.

Helgarm
12.17.2012 , 08:07 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by DeutschGamer View Post
My stance on Consular is they made the class perfectly to what the character is designed to be; a diplomatic voice of reason with the mindset of helping others in a selfless manner.
Unfortunately, as a Jedi Shadow, this just doesn't hold weight at all.

Voice of reason? No. Covert operative. Not exactly a public speaker.

This is probably the main problem with the JC storyline. It bases itself upon the assumption that you will be a diplomat. Which a Shadow really isn't. Nor should they be. And so the story really only aligns correctly with one AC.

And as for helping others, sure. But really only because the alternative dialogue choices make you sound like either a petulant teenager, or an idiot. Commonly, in fact, both.

This is really the crux of what annoys me about the JC gameplay; the dialogue. Either you're taking the 'the jedi way is to serve' position, or you sound like a nerf herder who came down on the last shuttle. I've found very few alternatives to the 'holier than thou' approach that aren't completely terrible. And almost every time you try an option that isn't so sickeningly self sacrificing, some NPC or another will chastise you for it.

I'm trying to play a neutral jedi, who isn't just a complete tool for the Order and is attempting to look outside the box a little without going batsith crazy. But it's actually quite difficult to achieve. I find myself thinking, 'did I really just say that?' after a large proportion of dialogue choices. Mostly, because I want to be a reasonable, neutral jedi, I've had to plump for the standard, not-a-complete-imbecile option just so I can live with myself after each conversation.

I've not had this feeling with the other storylines. I feel I can pay DS or LS warrior with no sense of being compromised. Inquisitor too works well with DS and LS choices. The same for BH, smuggler and IA. JK, I'm not so sure of, having not progressed far and actually playing mine as a compete tool for the Order, and trooper I haven't tried.

So, overall, and certainly for my playstyle, the JC story has been rather irritating. The premise is fine, but the execution is poorly thought out and then just badly written. I get what jedi are and how they're generally portrayed, but there are options and alternatives in a game like this that are just begging to be discovered. It's just a shame they were not given due respect in their development.

H.

Zojak
01.14.2014 , 12:51 PM | #70
I'm coming in a little late but I thought I would inject my 2 cents here. I've beaten the Agent, Consular, Warrior, Smuggler, Knight, Bounty Hunter, and Trooper story lines, and I'd say that it's all about the mental state you're going into the story line with.

The Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, and Agents were a 3 way tie for me as best story line. Bounty Hunter had a great plot twist in it that really motivated you to dislike the Republic (though they could have done a better job of building it up). The Smuggler was just a blast to play all through, and the Agent is very James Bond.

By comparison, if the trooper could seem boring. But being in the military, I really enjoy the mission-oriented nature of the story line. You're not some freelance super hero, you're an elite squad of soldiers and so the story puts you in a place to receive orders and carry out 'difficult' missions as a SpecOps group. It makes sense in that respect and if you keep that in mind, you can see how the missions you perform have a ripple effect in the greater galactic story.

With that being said, the Trooper doesn't have the biggest direct hand in anything going on and there aren't many plot twists that give you that 'just saw a good movie/ read a good book' feeling.

I enjoyed the Consular story for the record - after the first act anyway - and that class does indeed feel as though you are more directly impacting galactic politics single-handedly. Trooper is more behind-the-scenes making stuff happen without getting much credit beyond praise from your military superiors.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men." A.J.Durai