Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Pay2Win Space Missions ???

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

BJWyler's Avatar


BJWyler
12.11.2012 , 03:17 PM | #281
Quote: Originally Posted by OmegaJinjo View Post
Or maybe Pay2Win is a user made term that doesn't have a set meaning, but if someone thinks buying gear to get around content faster it is pay2win, and if a lot of people are thinking this and not liking it then maybe the studio should rethink the direction they're going.
Or, if a bunch of people are thinking it is not and liking the direction they are going because their Time and Choice to play the content in the game they want to play is more important then the disposable cash they have, then maybe the studio should continue in the direction they are going.

Ultimately it will be a battle of opinions because we will likely never have an official definition of what P2W will be (who will be appointed to make said decision? Not the random playerbase, I'll wager but an industry insider who will, because of their position, most likely take the origin of the term into account, which was applied to the Eastern Market MMOs like ZT Online). Therefore, in the end we all have to exercise our Free Will and decide if SWTOR is the game for us or not. Personally, I prefer the convenience of having the option to decide what "content" I will pay for. That way, if my time is limited at some point, I have the choice to buy what I need to play the content I want at that particular point in time, and when I have more time to play, I can acquire what I need through "traditional" gameplay.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 03:19 PM | #282
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
No I don't because that is simply your opinion. My opinion differs. Neither of our opinions is factually more accurate or important than the other, therefore, you'll just have to live with P2W being defined as the example of ZT Online.

BJ
Nope, I'll live with P2W being anything that allows you to circumvent gameplay by paying cash to do so.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

BJWyler's Avatar


BJWyler
12.11.2012 , 03:22 PM | #283
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
Nope, I'll live with P2W being anything that allows you to circumvent gameplay by paying cash to do so.
And I will live with P2W being games like ZT Online - which SWTOR is far from being at that point. When it does reach that point, I will simply find something else to play.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more

itonez's Avatar


itonez
12.11.2012 , 03:26 PM | #284
if this is the case, can EA/BW unlock hk-51 so i dont have to do the mission.. pre 50 btw, i'll get it at the market! xD

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 03:27 PM | #285
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
And I will live with P2W being games like ZT Online - which SWTOR is far from being at that point. When it does reach that point, I will simply find something else to play.

BJ
I guess that's where we differ, I'd rather try and stop SWTOR devolving to that point, rather than just not bothering, accepting it and then quiting.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

DarthOvertone's Avatar


DarthOvertone
12.11.2012 , 03:28 PM | #286
Quote: Originally Posted by Pulpp View Post
We've already established that by your obtuse definition, NO GAME is p2w.
This must be your first F2P rodeo. There are plenty of games out there with shops that fit into the P2W category, LOTRO is one such example. The Cartel Market is not one of them. You need to broaden your MMO and F2P horizons.


Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
Sorry trying to greenwash P2W by trying to change the name will never fly, a very nice try though.
It's not a greenwash. My definition Of P2W is very clear. It's you who are consistently equivocating on your definition.
Simply put, paying for convenience is not paying to win. If paying for convenience is your definition of pay to win, then you should just unsub because the Cartel Market, and every other F2P shop that I can think of in other games, contains items that alleviate the leveling and grinding experience in their game (XP boosts, deed accelerators, gear, etc.).


Quote: Originally Posted by TheIrage View Post
I think you are wrong on most accounts. If EA/BW were to start selling Dreadguard/EliteWarhero a piece for 300 cc it is definitely P2W, yet according to "your" definitions it is called what P2Convenicence? Really? P2W something only available in store? where are you getting all this stuff? Textbook P2Convenience ? I am sorry but I have to say reading your post actually made me lol.
I'm glad you were amused. I wouldn't consider Dreadguard/EWH gear being made available in the store P2W either. However, it would be absurd and wouldn't make much sense since BW wants endgame players to have something to do and to play that content.

Honestly, the whole Starship Upgrade scenario is a bit absurd in itself. Since the players that run starship missions are a small segment of the population, it seems like more of a test to me by BW/EA than anything else, a guage of how much players will tolerate in regard to the convenience factor. It certainly is on the slippery slope of what players deem acceptable in the store.

However, it's still not P2W.
War Hero Alphabolt - Garbage S1 & S2-Champion Van | The Bastion
Conqueror Alphazen - Shadow | Battlemaster Alphabain - Scoundrel | War Hero Alphanoob - PT
Jung Ma | Conqueror Alphabond - Sniper | Conqueror Alphamaul - Marauder | Champion Alphafett - Mercenary
I See Your Schwartz Is As Big As Mine!

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 03:32 PM | #287
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthOvertone View Post
It's not a greenwash. My definition Of P2W is very clear. It's you who are consistently equivocating on your definition.
Simply put, paying for convenience is not paying to win. If paying for convenience is your definition of pay to win, then you should just unsub because the Cartel Market, and every other F2P shop that I can think of in other games, contains items that alleviate the leveling and grinding experience in their game (XP boosts, deed accelerators, gear, etc.).
It's very much a greenwash, again it was a good one and a nice try, but it just won't work you can't convince people P2W is not P2W just be calling it Pay for Convenience.

P2W is and always will be P2W.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

PunisherAS's Avatar


PunisherAS
12.11.2012 , 03:34 PM | #288
This just comes to show that Bioware just simply LIE.. and... LIE... and... LIE.
One strike closer to me unsubbing just due to the lack of a brain by the Dev team.
Collectors Edition Owner
Fargos (Main Tank/Powertech) of
Aggressive Negotiations

Arathenes's Avatar


Arathenes
12.11.2012 , 03:39 PM | #289
Quote: Originally Posted by PunisherAS View Post
This just comes to show that Bioware just simply LIE.. and... LIE... and... LIE.
One strike closer to me unsubbing just due to the lack of a brain by the Dev team.
Can't agree more... I am sorry dev's I do not want to insult you.. But this ... This and the screwed up life day event... Just wow *sigh* You practicly burn your own potential... Just as SWG did with NGE

Zintiel's Avatar


Zintiel
12.11.2012 , 03:41 PM | #290
Have any of you tried the new space missions? They're impossible. I actually bought the packs for my ship to give it the best gear available and after about 10 attempts at one space mission I pretty much am ready to give up.