Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So what is the counter to Sniper/Gunslinger?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
So what is the counter to Sniper/Gunslinger?

Dracokyaku
12.11.2012 , 01:33 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Joesixxpack View Post
Another GS/Sniper can counter well if they're skilled.
Exactly, Marksman/Sharpshooter specs are especially easy to takeout as a DF, Generally I'll make them my first priority as they can be fairly nasty if left unattended.

Additionally, I just enjoy the interplay with other Snipers/Gunslingers and seeing how they play.
Winter Silverwing | Red Eclipse
Smugglers Alliance:The home of Beer, Pie and Scoundrel minded folk.

Larry_Dallas
12.11.2012 , 02:18 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by KettleBelll View Post
I heard Gunslingers are supposed to be a hard counter to melee classes.....

Where did this come from? I'd figure range would be their advantage, and they should be disadvantaged vs melee. But hey, maybe they are indeed supposed to be the counter to melee.

But are they not also the counter to ranged classes? Cover protects against ranged fire.

I'm honestly missing what is supposed to counter Gunslingers. Powertechs used to be able to stun and grapple then down off a catwalk (if they get that rare window where they aren't Hunker'd Down immune to CC for 20 sec on a 1 min cooldown, or white bar resolve)..... but the change to the stun distance really removed that.

It doesn't seem like you could win a shooting war with one, because of the advantage of Cover.

And, they seem to melee better than melee classes, with Orbital Strike and AoE Fire cast directly on top of themselves, cluster bombs, Hunker Down, big knockback with roots, stun knife, leg shooting, flashbangs, etc.

I'm really at a loss on what counters this class. Would love to hear some discussion on this.

IN BEFORE - Random Trolling

IN BEFORE - Some poster says "just run away and LoS them"

IN BEFORE - Nerf Smash posts

IN BEFORE - The comics of the Gunslinger at Voidstar/NC gets linked

IN BEFORE - Hero posters write "I eat Gunslingers and Snipers for breakfast, I don't know what your problem is"
Stealth classes and ranged dot classes. Also, rage/focus warriors/knights can leap to them.

hunterthesloth
12.11.2012 , 02:25 PM | #53
As a sniper being my main basiaclly if they see you first you are done, you have to knock them out of cover and cc them. Dps powertechs, dps assasians, and dps sorcerers can manage against them. the big thing is to cc them after knocking them out of cover and using interupts. It is best to come at them from behind. If they are marksmanship it is nearly immpossible to win without using cc's because they are in god mode while in cover. Leathiality can manage without cover but you can beat them while in cover too.
Imperial Entanglements
The Blackwalker Legacy
"...Your only hope for survival is complete and utter loyalty"
Its Star Wars not Ground Wars

cashogy
12.11.2012 , 02:29 PM | #54
assassins
concealment operatives

hunterthesloth
12.11.2012 , 02:32 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Solarenergy View Post
Stealth, and especially a tank assassin. Any half decent one will always kill a sniper/gunslinger, even if the sniper is really good.
idk i mean using leg shot, cover pulse, disabilitate, and flash bang can make up for the damage they did to the sniper while cc'ed
Imperial Entanglements
The Blackwalker Legacy
"...Your only hope for survival is complete and utter loyalty"
Its Star Wars not Ground Wars

Jenzali
12.11.2012 , 02:46 PM | #56
Engineering Sniper is probably one of the best 1v1 specs in the game provided you can maintain LoS.

I think that's intended. But Snipers are for area denial, and wouldn't usually be engaging in many 1v1 situations provided you are playing the warzone objectively. They're going to be incredibly powerful if you try to just stand there and facetank them in the area that they specifically denied.

If you LoS them then they have a few choices:
- Leave cover and try to chase you down
- Stay there and pick a different target
- Stay there and die to your DoTs. With effectively no self-healing we are susceptible to Madness Sorcs dotting up and LoSing.

A Sniper without cover is a sitting duck. A Sniper who is out of cover is even weaker than an Arsenal Mercenary, believe it or not. As an Engineer Sniper I try to be mobile whenever possible (means leaving cover), but if I make a mistake and misjudge the leap cooldowns and/or locations of an enemy SW/JK then more than likely I'll be dead in a few seconds after they get the leap on me.

So yes, stealthers and people with a brain are very good against Snipers but that's not the point - the Sniper's main job is to deny areas to the enemy team either through AoEs or threat of direct attack.

P.S. Even though Assassins are great against Snipers I find that you can simply hunker down after the initial stun, drop an Orbital Strike on your own location once they pop Force Shroud to force a stalemate, either they stand there and take massive damage or decide to break off the engagement and wait till your cooldowns are not available.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Babyfood
12.11.2012 , 02:58 PM | #57
its always bothered me how snipers/slingers, or any ranged class for that matter, auto-turn when you get behind them. I play a sniper and benefit from this but it really does take an important skill aspect out of playing a ranged class to have them do this. I played rogue in wow would position myself behind many a caster and move with them as they would try to turn and face me. In this game ranged classes auto turn. It's kinda ez mode. Like I said I benefit from this as well on my sniper it just seems kinda silly that I can take a sip of my soda with my mouse hand while I have a melee on me regardless of their position.

stringcat
12.11.2012 , 03:08 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Babyfood View Post
its always bothered me how snipers/slingers, or any ranged class for that matter, auto-turn when you get behind them. I play a sniper and benefit from this but it really does take an important skill aspect out of playing a ranged class to have them do this. I played rogue in wow would position myself behind many a caster and move with them as they would try to turn and face me. In this game ranged classes auto turn. It's kinda ez mode. Like I said I benefit from this as well on my sniper it just seems kinda silly that I can take a sip of my soda with my mouse hand while I have a melee on me regardless of their position.
Cover and snipers would be pretty damn useless if they had to leave and re-enter cover just because a melee got behind them.
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

Technohic
12.11.2012 , 03:11 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by stringcat View Post
Cover and snipers would be pretty damn useless if they had to leave and re-enter cover just because a melee got behind them.
lol especially with the spassers that try to run back and forth. (I know because I do that on my scrapper. Can always spot a terrible Marauder that way. Lucky for them, there is smash)

Babyfood
12.11.2012 , 03:16 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by stringcat View Post
clearly I don't mean that you could have to leave cover. Have you played any other mmo's ranged classes? You would just have to turn your character around while they stayed stationary and in cover. Like I said, I benefit from it, it's just ez mode.