Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

life day items on cartel market insulting.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
life day items on cartel market insulting.

TheIrage
12.11.2012 , 01:44 PM | #531
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
Since when has the gaming industry been about anything but the money? And don't say Indie devs are all about the game and not the money, because while there are those dedicated few who only do it for the enjoyment of it, there are plenty Indies out there doing it for the money or to get enough street cred to be employeed by the Evil Nasty Corporate Empire. The naivety of the gaming populace never ceases to astound!!

BJ
Every business is about making a profit. There is no question about that. There were times though ( not long ago) were most of these game producers were small companies. You know we had ATARI and then a big gap then NINTENDO and in between those many small enterprises wanting to come up with the next big thing.

I bring this up in context to the point you were making. There were days , not long ago, were the emphasis on game development was around creating markets. In those days producers focused more about attracting customers with new and unique content. Those days are gone. The EQ/Wow genre has matured and is the current unshakable standard. What we have now is a known formula to attract costumers and maintain a business... the only thing that seems to currently evolve/grow are the subscription/sales strategies around the actual game and how to maximize profits/minimize risks based on those... thus the statement " it is all about the money"

It is all part of the great natural cycle of capitalism imho. Who knows, we may live to see the next big thing when it comes to gaming?

chuixupu
12.11.2012 , 01:48 PM | #532
I agree that, since they say they want to continue to reward subscribers, they should have picked out at least one cool item and gave it out as a free gift (fireworks don't count, that's for the 1 year celebration). Other than that I don't really care, if people REALLY want some cheesy holiday fluff, knock yourself out.

I think what's upsetting people the most is that because of the item leaks earlier people just assumed there would be an event tied to Life Day, but there isn't, nor was it ever announced that there would be.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Lexiath
12.11.2012 , 01:51 PM | #533
SWTOR is almost out for a whole YEAR! Looking at all of the content they have released I am quite frankly amazed that I'm still enjoying this game to this day.

I am amazed that they developed so many new items and "events" that I have to pay extra for. That subscription fee we've been paying? Oh you know those 13 euro a month are just for upkeep of the service, please don't expect updates to the game itself.

Oh well I guess we should be happy that even if we do not get any updates to the game itself...we can at least buy feast day items if we pay an amount of money equivalent to a month of playtime for them.

Game update 1.6! Can't wait what's in it! Just a warzone? Guess it's better than nothing.... oh look and another gambling box for the cartel shop filled with many new and exciting items that we have to pay for without even knowing if we'll get what we want!

Yes a bright future indeed

JohnAnconia
12.11.2012 , 01:52 PM | #534
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
I agree that, since they say they want to continue to reward subscribers, they should have picked out at least one cool item and gave it out as a free gift (fireworks don't count, that's for the 1 year celebration). Other than that I don't really care, if people REALLY want some cheesy holiday fluff, knock yourself out.

I think what's upsetting people the most is that because of the item leaks earlier people just assumed there would be an event tied to Life Day, but there isn't, nor was it ever announced that there would be.
BW: But selling items on the cartel market is way easier than setting up a world event! You just need to recolor existing armor sets and put them on the market! No more need to design maps, quests, or fight mechanisms! We can release new content - oh wait, p2w gear - every week instead of every three months!

/sarcasm ends

Quraswren
12.11.2012 , 02:03 PM | #535
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
SNIP...
It's precisely as ridiculous or not ridculous depending on your point of view as complaining about anything else you dislike, after all a dead bug on your steak would technically be a freebie and added protien.
No point of view to it. Bugs on food warrents a complaint.
Digital item that has no affect on the game you pay for and you have no need to get it beyond self indulgence - No so much.

Quote:
I think there should be an alternative way first and foremost
We agree here.

Quote:
If there isn't then it is far, far, faaaaaaaaaaaaar too expensive.
Not at all here.

Quote:
So we agree.
50/50 at best.

Quote:
There is no world event, and who is to say if there was we wouldn't have to pay extra for that too?
Was there ever an announcement of a Life day event or was that a player imagined, "We hope it will happen" thing?

Either way, the last thing we need is having to listen fear mongering and complaints about things that might or might not happen in the future? For all you know there going to charge you extra for that spider on your steak.

Sindorin
12.11.2012 , 02:03 PM | #536
If any of you have played any major MMORPG released within the last 10-12 years, you will no doubt realize how much we're being ripped off by BioWare and EA with having to pay for holiday themed items. In almost every game items similar to the Life Day orb or the Life Day tree, they are given free to all subscribers. On top of that, things that impact gameplay like speeders aren't the norm and shouldn't really be considered "Life Day" at all. I have been a subscriber to the game since launch and I've been in the beta for up to a year before that. I made a conscious choice to come back to SWTOR because I think it was and still is a great game.

However I will not purchase items in the cartel market that have been traditionally considered a gratuitous expression of thanks from developers to their customers, on specific holidays. Every major mmo has given these items for free or made them freely available. BioWare needs to stop trying to milk every dime it can from me, because it's making me less likely to buy anything else from their cartel market. Also, it's been 30 days since I got any cartel coins. Does this mean if I bought a 60 day card, I have to wait until my time is up and buy more time before I see anything added to my ledger? If so, you just lost a subscriber.....
For The Empire!

Oya, Surtr! Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum!

United_Strafes
12.11.2012 , 02:09 PM | #537
They're not milking anything from you. Buy it or don't buy it there is no milking. I think the stuff is all garbage and would never consider spending anthing but my monthly allowance and find it laughable that people actually do.

I care about 1 thing, content and fixes for my monthly subscription fee, so far besides the 5 months that gave 0 content they're doing ok since F2P if they keep rolling content I'll be happy, and if that content is a result of dummies buying gambling boxes so be it.

Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 02:09 PM | #538
Quote: Originally Posted by Quraswren View Post
No point of view to it. Bugs on food warrents a complaint.
Why? It's a free bonus of protein surely? You'd complain about getting given free stuff?
Quote:
Digital item that has no affect on the game you pay for and you have no need to get it beyond self indulgence - No so much.
The same can be said for anything in SWTOR though, and any bug affecting anything in SWTOR.
Quote:
We agree here.
Unfortunately BIoware EA disagrees.
Quote:
Not at all here.
If there is NO other way to get it price can only become a bigger issue, if money is no object at all, then you shouldn't be bothered either way if you can get it in other ways......... but you say that DOES bother you.
Quote:
50/50 at best.
I think it's closer to 100% myself.
Quote:
Was there ever an announcement of a Life day event or was that a player imagined, "We hope it will happen" thing?

Either way, the last thing we need is having to listen fear mongering and complaints about things that might or might not happen in the future? For all you know there going to charge you extra for that spider on your steak.
Neither of which is what I was saying, I was saying there is no event (unsurprisingly from my point of view, perhaps surprisingly from yours), and that if there was we may well have to pay extra for it anyway.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

sithgreyguard
12.11.2012 , 02:24 PM | #539
so anyone else had to google what is life day?

Quraswren
12.11.2012 , 02:26 PM | #540
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
Why? It's a free bonus of protein surely? You'd complain about getting given free stuff?
Unlike you, I understand nothing is ever free. Even spiders.

Quote:
The same can be said for anything in SWTOR though, and any bug affecting anything in SWTOR.
At least you understand the concept of marketing something people don't need but doing so they think they do. You of course sound like you fell hook line and sinker for it even if you don't like it. But, thumbs up for you on that.

Quote:
Unfortunately BIoware EA disagrees.
Which is fine with me. It is there game but given this one aspect of the game and how little ot affects anything. the hyperbole around here is amazing.

Quote:
If there is NO other way to get it price can only become a bigger issue, if money is no object at all, then you shouldn't be bothered either way if you can get it in other ways......... but you say that DOES bother you.
Pricing in no way others me. Not putting things in game play to be acquired is bothersome. Clearly you're smart enough to see the difference?

Quote:
I think it's closer to 100% myself.
Nope, among the things I think your POV has lead you to the wrong conclusion on, this is another one.

Quote:
Neither of which is what I was saying, I was saying there is no event (unsurprisingly from my point of view, perhaps surprisingly from yours), and that if there was we may well have to pay extra for it anyway.
Well guess what? There is no event so you don't have to pay. REJOICE!

Might be best to not speculate and assume though. That leads you to wrong conclusions and such other things.