Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pay2Win Space Missions ???

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Goretzu
12.11.2012 , 11:48 AM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by killahcheese View Post
Guys,

There are many degrees of P2W.

Frankly I am surprised at the pricing for these ship armors which could lead to more of these happening in the future. I hope not, but I mean, they could have always LOWERED the amount of grind than put it on the cartel shop :9

But honestly, the word P2W, came from all the asian mmorpgs where they would sell a sword or armor with ridiculous stats that you could start wearing at level 1. This would also be available only exclusively at the item shop.

They didn't though, the opposite in fact.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

SinRMcSinR
12.11.2012 , 11:52 AM | #132
Quote: Originally Posted by Eszi View Post
EA just reached a completely new level of crap
Fixed that for you.
The McSinR Legacy of Harbinger. Just a burned out raider turned casual, don't mind me.

We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.
Founder, DDE VIP , Pre-Orderer for SWTOR and RotHC

Guancyto
12.11.2012 , 11:55 AM | #133
Honestly, this isn't the slightest bit surprising.

You remember all the complaints about the F2P system? How it amounted to "here's a cool thing! (our game) here's a bunch of annoying restrictions! (don't get me started) pay us money so you can enjoy it! (sub/hat unlocks)"

Why did you think that subscribers would somehow be sacrosanct? "here's a cool thing! (heroic space missions), here's a bunch of annoying restrictions (missions are heavily overtuned, requiring quite possibly the most tedious grind in any game ever), pay us money so you can enjoy it! (bought spaceship gear)."

This is not an accident or an isolated incident. When they were working on F2P, they actually sat down and developed F2Pers being unable to spacebar through anything. It took a massive outcry from their staff to get them to change their mind. They actually sat down and restricted F2P to one quickbar. It took a massive outcry from their PTR testers to get them to change their mind. They actually sat down and restricted F2P to two quickbars. It took getting panned the whole Internet 'round to get them to change their mind.

This is not an accident or an isolated incident. This is the future of SWToR.

Leigabar
12.11.2012 , 11:56 AM | #134
Stop the rant. It's not so bad at all. You still are able to get 100 FC daily I even almost finished one mission (the new station assault - 15s to go ant get shot down ) with all grade 6 parts. Those missions are pretty demanding thou You can finish them. Without grade 7 it will be frustrating as hell but it is possible.

I'm going back to rail space now. Cheer up!

B.R.
Leigabar

notalkjustrock
12.11.2012 , 11:58 AM | #135
So BW has apparently deleted other threads on this topic. I wonder how long this thread will last.

If BW starts balancing content with cash shop purchases in mind, why have a subscription? My subscription should give me full access to space, operations, flashpoints and PvP balanced on my subscription. That's what it says on the website. The space missions are not balanced on a subscribers account, the balance is clearly around a subscriber purchasing at least some cash shop items, which is absurd. Do they honestly expect people to grind space missions every day for a month to step foot into these new space missions? No. They're gonna wait for you to break down and

What happens if BW implements a grind to gain entry to a new operation or flashpoint, but then allows someone to use cartel coins to bypass that gate. That's what I'm afraid of. Subscribers should have full access to content without an assumption that they will spend cartel coins. BW is clearly the testing the waters here. If BW succeeds with this, I predict we will see gated entry to new PVE content with a cash shop bypass. Just wait until Makeb requires you either a.) grind Makeb access comms for weeks or b.) spend 1000 CC.

Monoth
12.11.2012 , 12:06 PM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by Dirtyshadow View Post
Am I reading and understanding the following right....

Grade 7 items I know of ingame cost a huge amount of daily / fleet commendations as well as pricey craftable objects... so giving them out day 1 of the new heroic space missions, in a Cartel pack...
circumventing all ingame crafting/grinding by throwing real world money at them...
is that not by definition "Pay2Win" Space Missions ???
Pay2Win?!? I doubt it.... Space Missions are single player only and you can grind the com's to buy the upgrades in game without spending any money on cartel coins.... Now if Space Missions had PvP in them then I would agree with you.

That said, I personally would of preferred to make EVERYONE have to grind it out then give them a shortcut threw the cartel shop... And it does feel like their testing the waters to see how many people will do it instead of grinding the missions out.... That alone makes me a bit afraid of the future the cartel shop will hold concerning content in game for subscribers...

We all know how greedy EA is....
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

battycoda
12.11.2012 , 12:11 PM | #137
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
Pay2Win?!? I doubt it.... Space Missions are single player only and you can grind the com's to buy the upgrades in game without spending any money on cartel coins.... Now if Space Missions had PvP in them then I would agree with you.
It does. It rewards comms that have nothing to do with space that are spent to buy gear for PvE and it also provides the mats needed to craft the Grade 27 craftable mods that can be used for PvP. PvP can be done without PvP gear to get PvP gear. So it has everything to do with PvP and PvE.

Vindrosa Legacy
Smuggler - 50 | Bounty Hunter - 50
Quote: Originally Posted by AboB View Post
What happens if you use the ball toss emote in a Huttball game?

Insidion
12.11.2012 , 12:16 PM | #138
What an insult to the playerbase.

EA/Bioware is now catering to those with disposable incomes, or rich kids with access to credit cards.

This crosses the line into pay2win.

If the upgrades were purchasable on minute one, day one, in-game, by any class, any crafting spec, with credits or daily comms, the playing field would be even.

But only giving cash customers the ability to "get it now", or the few with the right combination of crafting skill, daily comms, and expensive mats, is a slap in the face to subscribers who don't have tons of disposable cash.

Disappointed to say the least. I won't be re-subscribing. Enjoy your downward spiral without me.

Dawginole
12.11.2012 , 12:18 PM | #139
Quote: Originally Posted by Echriado View Post
Grow up. Space missions are solo content. Go get some milk from mommy
Looks like someone doesn't get it.
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

Insidion
12.11.2012 , 12:19 PM | #140
Quote: Originally Posted by battycoda View Post
There were 4 items previous bought with comms for your ship and the comm cost of those are rather low and one item can even be skipped unless you want the bonus missions. All of the special parts in total cost 420 fleet commendations - this is LESS than a single part of grade 7 gear - the ones you can get anyway. All other parts (grade 5, grade 3, and grade 1) were bought with credits or crafted (grade 2, grade 4, grade 6) at a reasonable expense - the most expensive item is the grade 6 missile launcher that takes 2 mandalorian iron to craft - about 25k if you don't want to do crew skills to get them for much less. The whole grade 6 set (all craftable except one item that is a mission reward) was worth about 150k total.

The new cost:

From fleet comms:

1500 comms - 3 parts - Durasteel Armor, Blast Condenser, Laser Cannons
1400 comms - 2 schematics - Schematic: Concussion Missile Magazine, Schematic: Deflector Shield

Crafting materials:

Synthetic Energy Matrix x2
Enriched Durasteel x12
Zal Alloy x30
Mandalorian Iron x6
Molecular Stabiliser x4

(I don't have the material list for the Schematic: Improved Electronic Warfare Pod)

From daily comms:

300 comms - 2 parts - Improved Electromagnetic Pulse, Deflection Amplifier
200 comms - 1 schematic - Schematic: Improved Electronic Warfare Pod

From Credits:

300k credits - 1 part - Improved Power Conversion Module

OR 1300 Cartel Coins = about $13.00 USD

It's a good thing "Nobody cares about that stupid space combat mini game or enjoys it or wants to do it" because it really would suck if this was 9 armor pieces for PvP or Ops, eh?
You nailed it. This is a huge slap in the face to people who were looking forward to the heroic space missions. So much fail.