Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware can you explain to me why...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bioware can you explain to me why...
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JayEmmKay
10.26.2012 , 01:35 AM | #201
If you get 10k you must do it on someone whos naked...
Ragnarokr
Zariuss
Mihâwk
Pânzęr

WaywardOne
10.26.2012 , 05:54 AM | #202
<< Bottom line with the current state of pvp, if there's a average smash warrior in any warzone, he'll outdamage his non-smash-warrior teammates by something like 25%. Or more. In burst. That ain't balance. >>

Vigilance should get buffed. Carnage maras can still pop very high numbers. AOE damage puts higher (highest) numbers on the scoreboard but the damage number on the scoreboard isn't telling the complete story of who was most important in the game - where a smasher may be popping high damage totals the carnage might be dealing higher damage to the healer. Watchman/Anni probably should do less damage because they also heal and much of their damage is internal if their target isn't getting constantly cleansed. And yeah, any number of classes is perfectly capable of topping the scoreboard in most games at the moment.

Ramtar
10.26.2012 , 07:32 AM | #203
Quote: Originally Posted by warultima View Post
I have been hit by smash for 6.2k on my sorc with 1390 expertise and 18900hp.
Oh yea 1390 expertise is currently the highest possible ever obtainable in game... So 6.2k against 1390 expertise eh... RIGHTTTTTT.

Oh and before baddies come in and try to play that "get that 30% -AoE damage talent" noobcrap. News flash to bads, sorcs DONT HAVE IT. Yes this means even if I had 100 talent points to spend there's still no talent I can pick up to give me that 30% AoE reduction that all fotm has.

Ironically guess what, Operative also do not have AoE reduction talent. Let me rephrase that, operative is the one and only melee class in this game that does not have access to such talent.

Apparently people dont pvp enough to run rWZ with premades of 3 coordinating smashers maybe most servers have terribad PvP? And currently the only thing thats slowing these derpasmasher down is the chain sorc stun bubble.
New flash: Sorc bubble and self-heal is part of your AoE defense. So, is knockback with a root attacked.

Go ahead stand still and spam force lightning. Your the one inviting the Rage/Focus Warrior/Knight to drop the 'hammer' on you.

MorgothQuick
11.03.2012 , 08:15 PM | #204
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I asked Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Rage and Focus builds and how they're fitting into PvP overall right now, and here was his comment:

Rage and Focus have always been high burst specs, but they haven't been very popular due to some usability and quality of life issues in the past. Our goal for Focus and Rage was to address those issues without significantly affecting their burst. In large part, I think we've done that, but the result is that many people are playing them now, which means there's a lot of AOE burst happening in warzones that wasn't happening before. We're willing to wait and see if their popularity is a result of being viewed as "flavor of the month" (i.e. Rage/Focus populations will naturally subside as people realize the spec doesn't suit their playstyle) or if they are truly too good and were just too unusable before. In short, we're going to keep a close eye on it.
The problem with the Juggernaut and Guardian trees is that one of the trees is seen as no longer any good in pvp due to the amount of burst damage going on and that the tree in question doesn't do enough damage in a short amount of time. I am speaking of course about Vengeance/Vigilance.

If this tree got the buffs it should have gotten then Juggernauts/Guardians would not all be going Rage/Focus, and they would have an alternative that is actually far more useful in pvp (utility wise) than Rage/Focus.

Psirebral
12.03.2012 , 01:57 PM | #205
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I asked Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Rage and Focus builds and how they're fitting into PvP overall right now, and here was his comment:

Rage and Focus have always been high burst specs, but they haven't been very popular due to some usability and quality of life issues in the past. Our goal for Focus and Rage was to address those issues without significantly affecting their burst. In large part, I think we've done that, but the result is that many people are playing them now, which means there's a lot of AOE burst happening in warzones that wasn't happening before. We're willing to wait and see if their popularity is a result of being viewed as "flavor of the month" (i.e. Rage/Focus populations will naturally subside as people realize the spec doesn't suit their playstyle) or if they are truly too good and were just too unusable before. In short, we're going to keep a close eye on it.
In short you screwed up and don't like admitting it. There is a huge difference between "reviving a dead spec" which it wasn't, and allowing it to crit for infinity billion damage.

vermura
12.11.2012 , 05:41 AM | #206
"AOE burst" is just like, *** are you thinking...

Not only do they have AOE burst, the same classes also have AOE crowd control and a ton of defensive cool downs.

No, just no - AOE crowd control + AOE burst damage can only lead to one thing: OVER POWERED.
Think about it people, would your supposedly experienced game designers: are not area affect abilities, by definition, the most potent abilities: like duh, they affect more than 1 person but originate from 1 person. Captain Obvious says, these abilities are going to be important as soon as there is more then 1 target.

But, hey, that is NOT enough. Lets also give the same classes a ton of defensive cool downs, even when not spec'd as tanks. This is where you have insanely broken classes with excellent defenses, aoe burst AND aoe cc it's definitely too much.

Unbelievable response from the so called "lead pvp designer" - monitoring the situation? REALLLY???

Any designer with one shred of comprehension of pvp would *INSTANTLY* know that a class with strong defence, strong AOE damage, that is also burst ANNNNDD AOE CC all in one package is absolutely going to be stupidly powerful and would not let it ever see the light of day.

Let alone shine on for months and months - before making the brilliant decision to remove all of it's limitations, buff it more and nerf the single target specs which weren't even a problem. Oh, and lets just buff those defensive cool downs and **** it, add more, cause these classes need help. Oh and also, why not just go ahead and buff ravage/master strike too - hey, lets make it do more damage AND be uninterruptible!

Just like Demtel though, that is also not enough. Let's also completely **** over anything except dps by changing expertise scaling to favour damage over everything else, cause, thats real *********** smart and community was demanding we do that. Actually, the community was urging us NOT to do that, but what do they know. WE HAS METRICS!!!!!!!

Monitoring the situation - I'm not sure if I should keep laughing or cry, knowing that this guy is still the lead designer *sigh*.

ps. You know, I've actually been playing since Beta and before anny of these buffs happened, good players already knew Marauders were strong and that Smash jugs were strong. That's right, they were good pre 1.2 and every change since has only improved them.
The Bastion Seraphic Nexus
My toons and their Valor Rank: Setx 100, Sety ~70, Arikall ~80, Arikal ~70, Arikill ~60, Arikrule ~70, Lolgasm ~60, Arikell ~70.
Dark Age of Camelot: Vermura - Midgaard Kay - Realm Rank 10 Healer

NoTomorrow
12.11.2012 , 05:45 AM | #207
Quote: Originally Posted by Psirebral View Post
In short you screwed up and don't like admitting it. There is a huge difference between "reviving a dead spec" which it wasn't, and allowing it to crit for infinity billion damage.
they basically made their call based on how many ppl played spec, not how it was performing in game which was fine to begin with back since 1.1
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Nightkin
12.11.2012 , 05:49 AM | #208
Quote: Originally Posted by vermura View Post
"AOE burst" is just like, *** are you thinking...

Not only do they have AOE burst, the same classes also have AOE crowd control and a ton of defensive cool downs.

No, just no - AOE crowd control + AOE burst damage can only lead to one thing: OVER POWERED.
Think about it people, would your supposedly experienced game designers: are not area affect abilities, by definition, the most potent abilities: like duh, they affect more than 1 person but originate from 1 person. Captain Obvious says, these abilities are going to be important as soon as there is more then 1 target.

But, hey, that is NOT enough. Lets also give the same classes a ton of defensive cool downs, even when not spec'd as tanks. This is where you have insanely broken classes with excellent defenses, aoe burst AND aoe cc it's definitely too much.

Unbelievable response from the so called "lead pvp designer" - monitoring the situation? REALLLY???

Any designer with one shred of comprehension of pvp would *INSTANTLY* know that a class with strong defence, strong AOE damage, that is also burst ANNNNDD AOE CC all in one package is absolutely going to be stupidly powerful and would not let it ever see the light of day.

Let alone shine on for months and months - before making the brilliant decision to remove all of it's limitations, buff it more and nerf the single target specs which weren't even a problem. Oh, and lets just buff those defensive cool downs and **** it, add more, cause these classes need help. Oh and also, why not just go ahead and buff ravage/master strike too - hey, lets make it do more damage AND be uninterruptible!

Just like Demtel though, that is also not enough. Let's also completely **** over anything except dps by changing expertise scaling to favour damage over everything else, cause, thats real *********** smart and community was demanding we do that. Actually, the community was urging us NOT to do that, but what do they know. WE HAS METRICS!!!!!!!

Monitoring the situation - I'm not sure if I should keep laughing or cry, knowing that this guy is still the lead designer *sigh*.

ps. You know, I've actually been playing since Beta and before anny of these buffs happened, good players already knew Marauders were strong and that Smash jugs were strong. That's right, they were good pre 1.2 and every change since has only improved them.
Bashing the lead designer of pvp is something i strongly encourage at this point.

-Mister lead designer, lay off the pot...its causing havoc in the game we used to enjoy
My videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WatcherEight?feature=watch
http://www.twitch.tv/watchertofn

Watcher 1-15 - Tomb of Freedon Nadd: Guild: DRAMA

Digimanbyte_ID
12.11.2012 , 05:49 AM | #209
This smash damages is only for sent/maurd right?

NoTomorrow
12.11.2012 , 05:59 AM | #210
The problem is, these things are so obvious that you don't really need any sort of metrics to figure it out that's its pull BS. Why do we have to wait another 8 weeks for this to be fixed? I am one of the lucky ppl that play snipers, but anyone else is pretty much ruined currently.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.