Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I saved another planet!!! ....again...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I saved another planet!!! ....again...

Mazikeen
12.10.2012 , 01:34 PM | #21
People who quote the entire OP and then proceed to make a comment that didn't require them to do so should be attacked by a hundred angry, rabid squirrels dressed in poison-spiked armor and metal-clawed boots.
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

MrSchmo
12.10.2012 , 01:39 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
People who quote the entire OP and then proceed to make a comment that didn't require them to do so should be attacked by a hundred angry, rabid squirrels dressed in poison-spiked armor and metal-clawed boots.
Ok

---
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.

Guancyto
12.10.2012 , 01:41 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
Hey, let's be fair here.

The squirrels should also be hungry, and be the size of terriers.

Malastare
12.10.2012 , 02:15 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by FooBard View Post
I would have liked to seen the planet story more geared towards something like “Look, another member of Havoc Squad has arrived! With this and all the Jedi that have come on the scene surely the tide will shift in our direction!”
Updated:

General Rydzadesque: "Ah, welcome to Belsavis. It's been pretty rough lately, and it's nice to see that people saw our request for help on the Holonet. We've got a few dozen of the Republic's most elite troopers, a few protectors of the entire Jedi Order, and more Jedi Knights than you can shake a lightsaber at --don't try, they're itching for action-- but what we really needed was a seventh smuggler to really turn the tide. Ah. You're going to hit people with your blaster. Yeah, that's just what we needed."

I know that is just the heroic adventure I look for in games.

MonBrav
12.10.2012 , 02:59 PM | #25
Maybe give group content a shot, if you wanna feel like you're part of a war machine as opposed to the sole savior of the galaxy.

ETA: But I feel like level 50 imperial storyline should've been about
Spoiler

TheNahash
12.10.2012 , 03:21 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by MonBrav View Post
ETA: But I feel like level 50 imperial storyline should've been about
Spoiler
But what would be the point of that?
In the end,
Spoiler

Guancyto
12.10.2012 , 03:32 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
But what would be the point of that?
In the end,
Spoiler
Well,
Spoiler

melodylane
12.10.2012 , 03:37 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by nartiuslightlord View Post
Don't be to sad I'm not only a key member of the Dark Counsel but the second most powerful force user in the galaxy next to the emperor, But I can't gain access to my office on dromund kaas after my big making the empire in my own image speech. I check everyday but it's still red.

Go figure i needed to pay the rent still.
Gave me my laugh for the day thx

"For some people this world ain't never gonna be right.... Maybe your Mattie's one of those people" ~ Doc Holiday -Tombstone-

Starcrosser
12.10.2012 , 03:39 PM | #29
The good news for the OP is that much of the new content is story-less PVP areas or Flashpoints with little voice work needed.

Personally, I would have rather this game be a Single Player game. But it's not. They made it into a MMO. But they have always said that it would be Story-Driven. And I have to say they did a pretty good job with that. I don't think SWTOR has a monopoly on saving the world quests either.

JeffNyman
12.10.2012 , 03:51 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by FooBard View Post
I had never really done this, but I had to stop for a moment and say, “Wait, I did nothing of the sort! There are hundreds of other hero’s here that are doing the same thing!” And when I rode off on my speeder, dodging blaster fire from all the exact same mobs that I “saved them from”, the feeling was even emptier.
What you're describing is mimesis-breaking and it's common in games but in MMOs -- particularly those that strive for story -- it might be impossible to avoid. After all, on Korriban I can see twenty Khem Val's running around. Nothing kills immersion in a story than something like that -- if you go solely for that kind of immersion.

When you go to a planet, no matter how many mobs you kill, they always respawn thus it seems like you have no effect whatsoever. Whatever you just blew up: it's still there for the next player. The big bad boss you just killed: he's back again. The same guys I just helped from a crashed spaceship are STILL at that crashed spaceship.

A consequence-persistent world that never breaks immersion seems unlikely in an MMO because it's a shared space. The events of consequence only have relevance (from an immersion standpoint) if you don't notice that everything you just did has been "reset" save for your memory of the event. I suppose the good thing is that the area where you did your story deeds is often closed off once you've done them so at least that part is not thrown in your face.

I have to admit that as a new player to MMOs this is something I initially struggled with since nothing seemed like it really mattered, given that everything was pretty much in the same state after as it was before.