Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

I saved another planet!!! ....again...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I saved another planet!!! ....again...

FooBard's Avatar


FooBard
12.10.2012 , 11:27 AM | #1
Throughout the galaxy I go - from planet to planet - saving the day.
I am the deus ex machina of some galaxy far far way!



No wait… I’m not! WE are… All of us! Well, at least that’s what this game is trying to tell us.

Last night when I completed yet another planet, and was told, if I may paraphrase – “Thank you for saving Balmorra! We don’t know what we would have done without you!”

Now, this isn’t my “CLASS EPIC”… this is the same quest line everyone gets on every planet they go to…. “Save us oh mighty deus ex machina!”

I had never really done this, but I had to stop for a moment and say, “Wait, I did nothing of the sort! There are hundreds of other hero’s here that are doing the same thing!” And when I rode off on my speeder, dodging blaster fire from all the exact same mobs that I “saved them from”, the feeling was even emptier.


With that said, I just wanted to reiterate what has been said since this game launched… This is not an MMO, it is an online single player game. THE ENTIRE GAME is….

It is an online social media hub, for a single player game.


And… for lack of a better phrase. “Bioware, you’re doing it wrong.”

Nothing wrong with molding us players into “heroes”, that’s kind of the point in these games. But being the “savior of the universe” (hence the deus ex reference) – is just too much.


I’d feel much better about playing this game knowing I “contributed to the success of my chosen faction”… instead of outright being made to believe I was the sole reason we are winning.


Not sure what this thread will produce, but I’d like to hear what you think would make the “planet series” quests a little less “ZOMG UR OUR SAVIOR!”

I would have liked to seen the planet story more geared towards something like “Look, another member of Havoc Squad has arrived! With this and all the Jedi that have come on the scene surely the tide will shift in our direction!”

I mean really… give the other players that have arrived on the scene some credit too.

Just sayin'

Norke's Avatar


Norke
12.10.2012 , 11:30 AM | #2
... It's an MMO... I don't know what to tell you other than that.

If you want to be a no name grunt why not try Planetside 2?
Norke - Level 50 Sith Juggernaut
Give me Kel Dors or give me death!

Revanchis's Avatar


Revanchis
12.10.2012 , 11:34 AM | #3
Really, because the idea of being a no name grunt who just slightly tips the odds in their favour seems like a pretty weak story.

nartiuslightlord's Avatar


nartiuslightlord
12.10.2012 , 11:36 AM | #4
Don't be to sad I'm not only a key member of the Dark Counsel but the second most powerful force user in the galaxy next to the emperor, But I can't gain access to my office on dromund kaas after my big making the empire in my own image speech. I check everyday but it's still red.

Go figure i needed to pay the rent still.
CE VIP

SWTOR Episode I - A New Meme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDaG7YqaV4

Vlacke's Avatar


Vlacke
12.10.2012 , 11:38 AM | #5
Oh look, another QQ thread that reeks of trolling.
Telcontar Legacy

H-aTreD's Avatar


H-aTreD
12.10.2012 , 11:42 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by nartiuslightlord View Post
Don't be to sad I'm not only a key member of the Dark Counsel but the second most powerful force user in the galaxy next to the emperor, But I can't gain access to my office on dromund kaas after my big making the empire in my own image speech. I check everyday but it's still red.

Go figure i needed to pay the rent still.
They're remodling it and it'll be ready for you "Soon™"

nartiuslightlord's Avatar


nartiuslightlord
12.10.2012 , 11:44 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by H-aTreD View Post
They're remodling it and it'll be ready for you "Soon™"
Thanks for making me shoot coffee out of my nose :P
CE VIP

SWTOR Episode I - A New Meme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDaG7YqaV4

H-aTreD's Avatar


H-aTreD
12.10.2012 , 11:51 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by nartiuslightlord View Post
Thanks for making project coffee out of my nose :P
mmm coffee..

Speaking of which, we better get a coffee pot in our new office oh and an ergonomic chair!

waterboytkd's Avatar


waterboytkd
12.10.2012 , 11:53 AM | #9
When you consider that the story line for any individual is character-centric on that individual, and that the individual is the protagonist of the story, your use of 'deus ex machina' is inappropriate. Yes, the planet story lines are generalized so that any character in the correct faction is the protagonist of that story line, but they're still the protagonist. Deus ex machina never has/can/will refer to the actual protagonist; it refers to an un-introduced entity (like some random god) that shows up out of the blue to resolve the plot for the protagonist.

You are right about one thing, though: this is a single-player game while leveling, with a multiplayer option while leveling. The endgame is still very MMO, and obviously so is the PvP. I actually find that to be one of the games selling points. The leveling is like playing an actual, fun video game as opposed to some mind-numbing grind like in other MMOs.

MrSchmo's Avatar


MrSchmo
12.10.2012 , 11:53 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by FooBard View Post
Throughout the galaxy I go - from planet to planet - saving the day.
I am the deus ex machina of some galaxy far far way!



No wait… I’m not! WE are… All of us! Well, at least that’s what this game is trying to tell us.

Last night when I completed yet another planet, and was told, if I may paraphrase – “Thank you for saving Balmorra! We don’t know what we would have done without you!”

Now, this isn’t my “CLASS EPIC”… this is the same quest line everyone gets on every planet they go to…. “Save us oh mighty deus ex machina!”

I had never really done this, but I had to stop for a moment and say, “Wait, I did nothing of the sort! There are hundreds of other hero’s here that are doing the same thing!” And when I rode off on my speeder, dodging blaster fire from all the exact same mobs that I “saved them from”, the feeling was even emptier.


With that said, I just wanted to reiterate what has been said since this game launched… This is not an MMO, it is an online single player game. THE ENTIRE GAME is….

It is an online social media hub, for a single player game.


And… for lack of a better phrase. “Bioware, you’re doing it wrong.”

Nothing wrong with molding us players into “heroes”, that’s kind of the point in these games. But being the “savior of the universe” (hence the deus ex reference) – is just too much.


I’d feel much better about playing this game knowing I “contributed to the success of my chosen faction”… instead of outright being made to believe I was the sole reason we are winning.


Not sure what this thread will produce, but I’d like to hear what you think would make the “planet series” quests a little less “ZOMG UR OUR SAVIOR!”

I would have liked to seen the planet story more geared towards something like “Look, another member of Havoc Squad has arrived! With this and all the Jedi that have come on the scene surely the tide will shift in our direction!”

I mean really… give the other players that have arrived on the scene some credit too.

Just sayin'
I think I can sum up your complaints with this statement: It's a game!

If you have a better I ideas how to setup a mission structure where not one person does the same story mission, I'd love to hear it.
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.