Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Where to upgrade my Jugg from here?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Where to upgrade my Jugg from here?

Ephesia
12.06.2012 , 08:00 AM | #21
I disagree with you guys who think I am wrong, thankfully there isn't a one single absolute way to do things and I can prove my success from my fights. I like that diversity.

And thankfully I see more and more 30k hp'd tanks in my server who have very good progression statistics so I know I am not in the wrong. I am not saying you are wrong either, if it works for you that way, be my guest.
Ephesia, Level 55 Jedi Guardian
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Member of Catalyst

Malkavier
12.09.2012 , 05:16 AM | #22
I can also attest that there are many 30k tanks starting to show up in the progression guilds on NA - The Shadowlands (East Coast). This can't be a fluke or everyone gearing wrong. There is something to what Epeshia is saying.

I know also that there are more Healing Operatives starting to show up at a similar rate.

My thoughts: The instant burst heals from Heal Ops would suit the gearing of the 30k tanks infinitely better than the Sorc or Merc healing styles.
L50 Annhi Marauder L50 Madness Sorc L17 Gunslinger L23 Pyro Tech L35 Medic OP L17 Marks Sniper L50 Lethality Sniper

"Your fear angers me. My anger feeds my hate. My hate gives me strength."

Kitru
12.09.2012 , 10:07 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Malkavier View Post
I can also attest that there are many 30k tanks starting to show up in the progression guilds on NA - The Shadowlands (East Coast). This can't be a fluke or everyone gearing wrong. There is something to what Epeshia is saying.
A lot of it comes from people referring to information on largely outdated or misinformed sites. I checked Noxxic for what they believed the best Shadow tank setup was and a lot of the advice there was at least 6 months out of date, considering what is known now about optimal gear setup, spec, and rotation. I've seen a lot of people use that as their baseline for performance and, sadly enough, they take it as canon rather than trying to determine what is optimal.

Just because someone uses and succeeds with a specific gear setup does not mean that it is optimal. Many of the tanks I see stacking loads of HP stack it completely arbitrarily. Most of them have no idea what the actual DR curves are, nor do they actually understand that DR exists on a curve rather than having an explicit soft cap chosen by some random person online without showing any math where you want to get to and then ignore from that point on.

Many of them that, ironically enough, come to me asking for advice, largely looking to be told they're doing it right. I've been told more than once by someone that thought that NPCs had crit chances and that TOR used a 1 roll system where sufficient shield and defense chance was needed to push crit off of the probability table that I have no idea what I'm talking about *after* they came to me asking what they needed to do to become a better tank. Many people do research at a single site, without actually bothering to understand the underlying mechanics of the game, and a lot of those sites that aren't these forums generally consist of a single person's math using often outdated/misinformed math or biased metrics (like TtK or eHP, neither of which is of particular use in TOR).

There will *always* be people using and succeeding with sub-optimal load outs and rotations because the gear doesn't *require* optimal gearing to succeed at the hardest content. It just requires "good enough", which, oftentimes, hp stacking *is* even if it's not optimal or even close to it.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Ephesia
12.10.2012 , 09:12 AM | #24
Today I am fully 63 geared except earpiece, when stimmed and buffed I get 31.2k HP with 30% def 50% shield and 45% absorption. I have thought long and hard about whether to accept the 2.5k - 3k ish hp loss to get the remaining 5% absorption rating and I have decided it's just not worth the investment I will make, despite what Kitru claims (the one and only optimal way of gearing), HP stacking has it's own advantages and I believe getting that 5% more absorption will have it's own advantages. Sometimes one will be better than the other in different fights.

Remember that when you HP stack it makes up for some healing errors or it allows your healer to heal other people for a limited amount of time before returning to you, it allows for more leeway, sometimes that extra 3k hp will save you more than the extra 5% absorb and sometimes it's the other way around. Of course both ways, are viable to clear all the current content has to offer. Let's also not forget that Trooper buff gives you more hp, medpac gives you more hp (15% hp bonus), and Enure gives you more hp.

I appreciate Kitru's knowledgable input, my only disagreement is at the thought that there can be only a single best way to gear up, it's just not true.
Ephesia, Level 55 Jedi Guardian
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Member of Catalyst