Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How to Fix Stuttering


Demetriscy's Avatar


Demetriscy
12.09.2012 , 04:52 AM | #1
I too have been one of the unfortunate players who have been plagued with frame stuttering ever since patch 1.4 was rolled out. I have scoured the forums in order to find possible fixes and decided to make this thread which combines most 'good' solutions, and will also mention which solution worked best for my system. For the record, I am running an i5 2500k OC'd 4.4GHz, gtx 680 overclocked, 8GB RAM on Win 7 x64. The game is installed on a 7,200rpm HDD and I am not running SWTOR Unleashed (RamDisk).

Fix #1: If you are running with VSYNC on, try downloading a software called Bandicam and in FPS Tab check the "Set FPS limit" box, then input number 58. This is assuming your monitor refresh rate is 60Hz. Run the game and notice whether there are any improvements.

Fix #2: Run the game in Fullscreen (windowed) mode. Personally I don't like this fix and if you are running SLI/Crossfire then it's no good because you would only be running with one GPU.

Fix #3: Note: This is the best fix which worked for me, it provided the most smoothest experience. If you have an nVidia GPU, go to "manage 3D settings" > "Program Settings" > "Add" (find the swtor.exe from the installed directory) > "Maximum pre-rendered frames = 1" > "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration = Single display performance" > "Power management mode = Prefer maximum performance" > "Triple buffering = ON". The rest of the settings should be left as Default. Make sure you have max-prerendered frames on "1" and Triple buffering = ON as this is what I suspect is making the game run smooth.

Fix #4: In the in-game preferences, locate the Nameplate settings and Disable Nameplate Scaling (although this is not really a good fix in my opinion, ruins the experience.

I am running the latest nVidia BETA drivers which can be found on www.nvidia.com

May the Force be with you

zittra's Avatar


zittra
12.09.2012 , 06:28 AM | #2
That is very kind of you. Thank you.

OwenBrooks's Avatar


OwenBrooks
12.09.2012 , 07:35 AM | #3
The Default settngs work fine for my 670gtx with i7 cpu and win 7 64bit so the stuttering issue you have with a 680 must lay somewhere else then the nvidia settings. I consistantly get no lower then 80fps on fleet etc average is 110

Stuttering can occur when a GPU overheats are you certain this isn't what is occuring ?

Demetriscy's Avatar


Demetriscy
12.09.2012 , 09:41 AM | #4
Hi OwenBrooks - thanks for your reply. I note you state you get 80-100+ fps I assume you are playing with VSYNC=OFF. I don't have any stuttering with VSYNC=OFF, only when it is ON (as I like to have it on) and I'm around other players do I get the stuttering.

OwenBrooks's Avatar


OwenBrooks
12.09.2012 , 10:16 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Demetriscy View Post
Hi OwenBrooks - thanks for your reply. I note you state you get 80-100+ fps I assume you are playing with VSYNC=OFF. I don't have any stuttering with VSYNC=OFF, only when it is ON (as I like to have it on) and I'm around other players do I get the stuttering.
Interesting, what is the reasoning for you having vsync on with your system specs when you encounter stuttering with it on ? some games are better with vsync on but i find vsynch off for Swtor is best.
Are you getting screen tearing or playing on a tv ?
If you really want to have vsync enabled you will need to enforce triple buffering or you will get performance issues.
You will need to install something like riva tuner to ensure triple buffering is enforced though.

Demetriscy's Avatar


Demetriscy
12.09.2012 , 11:10 AM | #6
I get screen tearing that's why
I need a better monitor I know just dont have the $$ now...I force triple buffering via nvidia panel and seems to be working fine for swtor, but honestly I think the pre-rendered frames=1 is the best trick up the sleeve for stuttering since it also eliminated my stuttering in Far Cry 3

OwenBrooks's Avatar


OwenBrooks
12.09.2012 , 11:38 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Demetriscy View Post
I get screen tearing that's why
I need a better monitor I know just dont have the $$ now...I force triple buffering via nvidia panel and seems to be working fine for swtor, but honestly I think the pre-rendered frames=1 is the best trick up the sleeve for stuttering since it also eliminated my stuttering in Far Cry 3
I still recommend downloading riva tuner and you will want to use D3D Overider and have it sit on your taskbar and enable triple buffering, this program will intercept the calls from directx and change them.
I believe ticking triple buffering in the nvidia control panel doesn't work correctly for directx but does for opengl games.

Bredwyn's Avatar


Bredwyn
12.10.2012 , 04:42 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Demetriscy View Post
Fix #3: Note: This is the best fix which worked for me, it provided the most smoothest experience. If you have an nVidia GPU, go to "manage 3D settings" > "Program Settings" > "Add" (find the swtor.exe from the installed directory) > "Maximum pre-rendered frames = 1" > "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration = Single display performance" > "Power management mode = Prefer maximum performance" > "Triple buffering = ON". The rest of the settings should be left as Default. Make sure you have max-prerendered frames on "1" and Triple buffering = ON as this is what I suspect is making the game run smooth.
Worked for me too, thanks a lot!

MikeTheDuke's Avatar


MikeTheDuke
12.10.2012 , 05:19 PM | #9
Triple Buffering only works on OpenGL from my understanding of it. This uses Direct3D. Maximum pre-rendered frames this will be dependant on the quality of your video card, 3 is default 2 can give you an imrpovement, do not put 1 there as there is more data travelling across the bus and unless you are running a nice fast FSB it is better to keep it to 2 or 3.

Demetriscy's Avatar


Demetriscy
12.11.2012 , 03:17 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeTheDuke View Post
Triple Buffering only works on OpenGL from my understanding of it. This uses Direct3D. Maximum pre-rendered frames this will be dependant on the quality of your video card, 3 is default 2 can give you an imrpovement, do not put 1 there as there is more data travelling across the bus and unless you are running a nice fast FSB it is better to keep it to 2 or 3.
Thanks for the advice, I will try setting it to "2" instead then, the default is "auto" which is causing me stuttering - will try tonight when I get home