Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are PvP builds viable in Ops?

ChrisRedmond
12.09.2012 , 04:07 AM | #1
EDIT- Are Pvp SPECS viable in Ops?

I've got a Mercenary and also a Gunslinger, and on both toons hate the Middle DPS trees due to lack of maneuverability (sic?), and much prefer the right hand side tree (The PvP tree), due to the greater movement allowed. Are these 'PvP' builds viable in Hard Mode Flashpoints and Ops?
If you can't fix it, forget it.

Hazchem
12.09.2012 , 04:28 AM | #2
For Flashpoints & lower to mid tier Operations it really doesn't matter all that much what your build is.
However, if you are talking about end-game operations, you want a talent build focused on putting out as much DPS as possible.
Shemyaza. Lvl 55 Sith Marauder, Carnage.
Tomb of Freedan Nadd.

Youtube Channel

Dragonbgone
12.09.2012 , 07:06 AM | #3
The middle tree for a gunslinger is useless. DF and SS are both viable in the endgame PvE.
. : Messores Republicae : .
Reapers of the Republic

Ms_Sunlight
12.09.2012 , 08:00 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisRedmond View Post
I've got a Mercenary and also a Gunslinger, and on both toons hate the Middle DPS trees due to lack of maneuverability (sic?), and much prefer the right hand side tree (The PvP tree), due to the greater movement allowed. Are these 'PvP' builds viable in Hard Mode Flashpoints and Ops?
What makes you think the "right hand tree" is the PVP tree? I run a Lethality sniper in end-game ops - the mirror of the Dirty Fighting gunslinger - and it's not only viable, it's got the edge on Marksmanship (the equivalent of Sharpshooter) in my opinion.

You might distribute your points slightly differently within the tree for a PVE rather than a PVP build - as an example, a PVE slinger has no use for Flash Powder, Dirty Trickster and Dirty Escape whereas in PVP they're key survivability skills - but the right 5/5/31 build will make for super effective single target damage on operations bosses.
Carilie - Scoundrel // Dastelen - Shadow // Dras'yra - Sniper // Elonie - Sorcerer // Undali - Powertech
Server: The Red Eclipse // Guild: The Onyx Guard / The Orbital Guard

Gyronamics
12.09.2012 , 08:01 AM | #5
Depends on the fight.

I've done virtually every ops as an assault commando.

Only fight I've used gunnery on is kephess EC NiM because there really is no time to be mucking about fishing for procs.

RikuvonDrake
12.09.2012 , 10:33 AM | #6
You can do all flashpoints as well as operations EV, KP on SM, HM and Nightmare as well as EC SM and TFB SM with the normal Engineering/Saboteur pvp specc, however on EC HM, Nightmare and TFB HM you need better DPS then that specc can give you. However it's all about your team. If you have three top DPS in your ops then you will be able to do EC HM + TFB HM and get off with it.
Dread Master - Deposer of The Dread Masters - Conqueror of the Dread Fortress
Not Good Enough | Rikacha - Rikachu - Rikachi - Rebel Dream | Riku
Ruthless | Susannah - Fauna - Wildthorn - Krewel - Montör
Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Sydexlic
12.09.2012 , 10:46 AM | #7
Pony up for field respec, be a subscriber, respec on the spot to fit the job at hand..profit etc.

ChrisRedmond
12.09.2012 , 11:17 AM | #8
Thanks for the feedback guys. You have collectively answered my question.
If you can't fix it, forget it.

Elear
12.09.2012 , 11:31 AM | #9
You might want to rephrase question or even change name of thread, since many people don't read anything else(and I think you meant 'PvP specs", not builds).

While skill tree on right side tends to have more pvp-related skills than other, it's not restricted to pvp, or better for it than any other(generealy speaking). If you want to have any other name for it, it's 'shared spec' as both AC of base class have access to it.

As far as I know, all shared specs are viable, in some bases they are better than alternative.

uniz
12.09.2012 , 02:23 PM | #10
for dps generally you will have some wasted points for pvp in a pve build and visa versa. both trees are viable if geared, speced and played correctly. play style also plays a important role too.

generally any hybrid healer build is terrible.