Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ranged DPS

11.26.2012 , 10:34 AM | #1
I have been running FPS for a bit now and on my server, unless the LFG tool is tied to all servers, I have noticed that I have had a crap ton of melee jedi. From Guardians to Sentinels. I want to roll a Ranged dps. I am looking at Gunslinger and Commando. I am not caring about any kind of skill or difficulty as I am willing to learn and becoming good with what ever.

IS there any consensus as to which would be more useful when it comes to raids? as in utility or versatility?

11.26.2012 , 11:15 AM | #2
They both have amazing aoe, armor debuff and burst (depending on the spec). What the Commando has going for it though is that it can spot heal and throw out battle rezzes. The Gunslinger has a nice aoe damage reduction.
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

11.26.2012 , 12:34 PM | #3
I have a well geared commando, and am leveling a slinger. Both are helpful....commandos can CC any target, stun with cryo grenade, and have both very strong AoE and single-target attacks. Plus they can re-spec for heals if needed. While slingers have good AoEs, great burst damage, and can CC droids without a cooldown. And their bubble is very prized for fights with heavy AoE damage phases.

Overall though, I prefer my commando, mostly because I find the cover mechanic annoying to deal with. And while my commando isn't exactly mobile, he does seem more mobile than most slingers. Commando is also quicker/easier to level, since you get a healer pet and all of your AoE attacks very early. Or if you prefer running with a ranged DPS pet, you start with one.

12.08.2012 , 02:36 PM | #4
I have both a 50 commando and a 50 sniper, they both level fast. I find the sniper dps to be more "fun" as it has 3 dps specs all viable to play, the commando has the healing spec though if you ever wanted to do that.

As to the cover mechanic it just takes some time to get used to it, when I first started playing the game back in beta. I never in a million years thought I would play a sniper / gunslinger I hated the cover system. Now playing a sniper as a main, I find it no less restrictive then any other non cover using class. What really changed it for me was getting rid of the cover bar, and using crouch, instead of take cover. Then find a hotkey you wont mind using ALOT for take cover (mouse wheel down for me)

From my point of view pick the one you will enjoy playing more.
#1 reply to all PvP threads.....L2P