Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PSA: Submitting an in-game CS ticket can break your character.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
PSA: Submitting an in-game CS ticket can break your character.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Azaranth
12.07.2012 , 11:42 AM | #1
You might not have heard about this, but right now many players are unable to log into their characters due to a "Versioning Error". If you look through the reports, the common thread seems to be that all unavailable characters have had an in-game Ticket responded to by Customer Support and now these characters are irrevocably broken.

Here's there's a lot of threads with players reporting the issue, but not a single helpful post from CS on the issue.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=566697
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=567604
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5521700
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5474723

Bioware, this has been going on since before thanksgiving. Why is bioware still responding to CS tickets in-game if they're breaking accounts? Why no response?

For the rest of you, I recommend that you don't submit any CS tickets for a while, because the CS response will break your character.

Urael
12.07.2012 , 11:45 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Azaranth View Post
You might not have heard about this, but right now many players are unable to log into their characters due to a "Versioning Error". If you look through the reports, the common thread seems to be that all unavailable characters have had an in-game Ticket responded to by Customer Support and now these characters are irrevocably broken.

Here's there's a lot of threads with players reporting the issue, but not a single helpful post from CS on the issue.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=566697
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=567604
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5521700
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5474723

Bioware, this has been going on since before thanksgiving. Why is bioware still responding to CS tickets in-game if they're breaking accounts? Why no response?

For the rest of you, I recommend that you don't submit any CS tickets for a while, because the CS response will break your character.
I have to laugh, not at you OP, I just have to laugh to keep from screaming at how messed up everything is with SWTOR and EA and BW.

Thank you for posting this. I will no longer submit tickets until I know this is fixed.

Good Job EAware ... now you won't get in game bug reporting.

Azaranth
12.07.2012 , 11:52 AM | #3
Ha! It took less than 5 minutes for this post to be swept under the rug and moved from the general forum. What's the point of a Public Service Announcement thread when it's immediately moved to where no one will see it?

Bioware, please make a public announcement about this issue so that more players don't run headfirst into what's basically a character ban.

Azaranth
12.07.2012 , 12:30 PM | #4
I should point out that this isn't actually a Customer Service issue. I'm not requesting any CS help.

This thread was about warning other players about the issue. I'm not sure the CS forum is the right place to have moved it.

JovethGonzalez
12.07.2012 , 01:30 PM | #5 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I just wanted to clarify that no, you will not break your character if you submit a CS ticket. There is currently an issue that is unrelated that will cause a very small percentage of players to be affected with this character versioning error. Rest assured that these accounts will be fixed shortly, as it is a priority for us. Again, submitting a ticket will not break your character and we encourage you to continue to submit your CS tickets.

Robocles
12.07.2012 , 01:37 PM | #6
Now that is an impressive job of dancing around the truth.

You are technically correct, submitting the ticket does not cause the versioning error. However, the process you use to restore the item or grant the item the ticket refers to DOES indeed cause the versioning error.

Just a bit of clarity for the masses, since you did a nice job obfuscating the real truth of it.

Redima
12.07.2012 , 01:46 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Robocles View Post
<---is very impressed by Joveth's moves

KazuharaKai
12.07.2012 , 02:07 PM | #8

You are technically correct, submitting the ticket does not cause the versioning error. However, the process you use to restore the item or grant the item the ticket refers to DOES indeed cause the versioning error.

Just a bit of clarity for the masses, since you did a nice job obfuscating the real truth of it.
Agreed. In all honesty, paid subscribers shouldn't have to wait weeks for a solution to access their main characters. Unfortunately, Customer Service seems to take all the brunt of the issue when it's really the Developers that fix the issue.

Note: The "restoring" a character is obviously creating a server issue where the Character that is restored is not sitting at the same patch level of the server. The ones who decide to "fix" a character should've created a backup prior to restoral. So in the event of an complications, the character could be recovered from said backup.

Whoever the IT Manager is for the server restorals is, needs to add this to the restoral process, so that issues like these don't happen. Customers shouldn't be told, "It should work on the next patch!" Customers should be told, "It will work in the next hour."

A "small percentage" doesn't seem to be quite the case anymore. Having Customer Service tell paying customers that it will take longer is bad business. Someone from their Development Team needs to own up to this issue and really explain what is going on.

Bioware/EA needs to take note on the "small percentage" because that's a lot of money they could potentially lose.

To all the Customer Service Representatives: Send this directly to your developers to chew on, or your Junior Systems Administrators, because in all honesty, it seems a lack of training and communication are pissing off a lot of people. Track down who the person or persons who restored the "Small Percentage" and have them apologize to the community IN THE LEAST. If it's a small percentage, then it would account for a small group or single person. Your loyal fan base is dying, and it's small issues like this that kill it.

Nimithril
12.07.2012 , 02:07 PM | #9

No, what he said was 100% accurate with regards to the subject of the thread. If you submit a ticket, your character won't be versioned.

The fact of the matter is that it is your post that is obscuring the truth by introducing extraneous subject matter into the discussion that has nothing to do with the OPs' statement.

What you should really be saying is in order to clarify is: "Go ahead and submit your tickets, just be prepared to wait until the bug is fixed if your ticket involves lost items."

See how that works?
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthAbominor View Post
And finally, sitting through this video is like watching a 6 year old bash his own head in with a frying pan.. just not as entertaining.
Quote: Originally Posted by nvoid View Post
That's my new facebook status: Shut up the f$$%$% mouth!

Robocles
12.07.2012 , 02:28 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Nimithril View Post
No, what he said was 100% accurate with regards to the subject of the thread. If you submit a ticket, your character won't be versioned.

The fact of the matter is that it is your post that is obscuring the truth by introducing extraneous subject matter into the discussion that has nothing to do with the OPs' statement.

What you should really be saying is in order to clarify is: "Go ahead and submit your tickets, just be prepared to wait until the bug is fixed if your ticket involves lost items."

See how that works?
No.

Lying by omission is still lying.

The OP was referring specifically to the threads which ascertained that the issue is with the process of either restoring or granting an item (which was the purpose of the tickets in question).

What the OP stated near the end of his post, though not as clearly as you seem to need, is that he doesn't understand why CS is still restoring items if the solution has the chance to render the character in question unplayable.

I am not sure what your dog is in this hunt, but your post has little to offer.

See how that works?