Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

disable auto self cast?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
disable auto self cast?

jedinitrile
12.18.2011 , 09:42 AM | #1
now when i press a key without a target it always heals myself. how can i press a healing key then select the target from the ops frames? i don't want to click the target first then press the healing key.

Kukura
12.18.2011 , 05:29 PM | #2
I don't think that is even possible unless what you referring too is actually "mouse-over healing" which this game does not have.
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Leiloni
12.19.2011 , 02:30 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by jedinitrile View Post
now when i press a key without a target it always heals myself. how can i press a healing key then select the target from the ops frames? i don't want to click the target first then press the healing key.
I don't think I understand you. Why would you press the healing key before you target someone? Why would you want to? How would that even work?
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270

Ariakkas
12.19.2011 , 03:18 PM | #4
its the same thing you do now, just opposite. In this method you can "pre-load" a heal, and then simply click the persons name to offload it. As it is now, when this person tries to do that, it self heals. Non auto self heal is a big thing, and i like to turn it off myself as well. I like to control who i heal, and that includes myself too.

I just started healing in this game, but this game seems SPARSE on the heal stuff. i had serious problems in warzones with raid frames not updating correctly, was easier to look at the players in the game then their health bars. All of this is gonna have to be fixed if this game is to have healers

Eveko
02.07.2012 , 04:26 PM | #5
I personaly hate the autocast as well.

For those who don not understand . Disabling auto self cast means you have to click the target you want to heal .

For example you click the heal button , the cursor then becomes highlighted and you select a target via raid frames or through generic target click . Then the spell will be cast on said target . It should be noted that this DOES not change youre current target . So it makes it easy to target the tank for example and still throw heals to other group m8s .

I personaly healed this way in wow . I dislike having to target the recipient of my heals . It feels clunky in many ways for me . And I do not understand there are healers that preffer hard targeting .

I remember countles times when I was too late to target Khem Val to throw a shield .
I sincerely hope this issue is addresed and soon .

Or at least its an issue for me and some other healer who preffer it that way .

I realy cant be the only healer who healed this way....

kuey
02.07.2012 , 11:05 PM | #6
+1 for this idea.

It's an easier system to have. Healing isn't that hard without it but it can be very frustrating with it, esp in ops where a little lag will see you healing the wrong target.

jeremybsimmons
12.06.2012 , 04:29 PM | #7
Found this thread while trying to figure out how to disable auto self cast, which I guess isn't an option with this game. It would be a nice feature to have implemented unless healing classes aren't really an absolute necessity for this game when running various activities that require groups (flashpoints/operations/warzones).

Right now, I generally run everything solo due to running the game on a crappy PC and trying to minimize what I have going on on the screen and it's not that bad when I just have myself and my companion to heal, but it gets really cumbersome when I start adding other party members and have to hard target them as well as any companions that need healing instead of just being able to keep an enemy or no one at all targeted and then just press the button for my heal/shield abilities and then click on who I want to receive it like I was always able to do in WoW.

I know this is a totally different game but that is a really nice feature to have and I can't believe it doesn't exist in this game. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make due with what I have for now.

SgtKlavier
12.06.2012 , 11:59 PM | #8
Quote:
Right now, I generally run everything solo due to running the game on a crappy PC and trying to minimize what I have going on on the screen and it's not that bad when I just have myself and my companion to heal, but it gets really cumbersome when I start adding other party members and have to hard target them as well as any companions that need healing instead of just being able to keep an enemy or no one at all targeted and then just press the button for my heal/shield abilities and then click on who I want to receive it like I was always able to do in WoW.

I know this is a totally different game but that is a really nice feature to have and I can't believe it doesn't exist in this game. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make due with what I have for now.
Mouse-over healing is not a "really nice feature" any more so than the way targeted healing works. Both methods require the press of a key and a click, but in reverse order. Any difficulty experienced is merely from not being accustomed to this style of healing. In fact, the targeted method can actually make for better efficiency if you have party members/op members hotkeyed. Then it's simply two button presses for heal.

Helig
12.07.2012 , 04:02 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
I don't think I understand you. Why would you press the healing key before you target someone? Why would you want to? How would that even work?
It would work like in WoW (without mouseover healing macros/mods). Yeah. It is as it seems.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie