Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Empire or Republic?

khayyinx
12.05.2012 , 09:00 PM | #1
First, why do you play as Empire or as Republic?
What if all the sith emperors were good? What if instead of palpatine the emperor was a sith that just tried to make the galaxy a better place to everyone?
Think about it, all that is needed to make the galaxy the best place to live is a sith leader that is willing to fix things and knows how to do it. Palpatine could fix all the evil and problems of the galaxy if himself wasnít crazy and evil.
Also, isnít the republic almost as evil as the empire? Theoretically the republic is against slavery, but it does nothing about it. There are a lot of planets, like tatooine, that have slaves. Besides, the whole political system of the republic is corrupt and therefore evil. We see that in the movies, were they LET palpatine do whatever he wants because there are a lot of corrupt senators.
What I mean is, if one want to make a peaceful and prosper galaxy, isnít a lot easier in a unified sith empire than a corrupted republic? In the empire just the emperor must be good, while in the republic all politicians do.
Iíll leave another question here. There is any famous light side sith? I know sith that later changed to light side, but left the order. And I know that the characters in this game can be lights side sith (mine is neutral). In Dromund Kaas there is a quest where a sith lord named Kelíeth Ur says about peace as a path the sith should follow. Besides him, there is any other?

MasterMe
12.05.2012 , 09:52 PM | #2
I'm a pub. I like good-guys.

And no; a Sith ruling would not be good for people.

A democracy is best for so many reasons. Yes, if you could somehow be guranteed that this Sith would be a kind and just ruler, then that'd be great. But history has prooved that giving all the power to one man just doesn't work best for the people.

Aurbere
12.05.2012 , 09:54 PM | #3
*points to Freedon Nadd

You're welcome
Added Chapter 61 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

LegendaryBlade
12.05.2012 , 09:56 PM | #4
I play Republic mostly because i'm not on the 'evil is cool' bandwagon that seems to make up a lot ofStar Wars fans. That said, the Old Republic Jedi Order was a straight up cult and I much, much prefer Luke's Jedi Order.

I do plan to make a bounty hunter down the line though, as they've always been a very cool part of Star Wars lore.
Star Trek Online Science Officer - "To boldy go where no man has gone before."
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

MasterMe
12.05.2012 , 09:58 PM | #5
A unifyed Sith Empire's problem is that it (like the Republic) is corrupt. It's better to have a collection of half-corrupt people then a single corrupted man. That's too much power and that one man WILL miss-use it. You have to limit rulers because they'll always miss-use their power. WIth that in mind, you've got to limit the governments power.

BradTheImpaler
12.05.2012 , 11:57 PM | #6
The galaxy is so full of disparate factions, and the Republic is too corrupt. Only a heavy-handed Empire can crush the bloated Republic, root out the terrorist factions playing both sides for credits, and stabilize the galaxy.

The one-person rule thing is an...unfortunate side-effect. He should be overthrown and replaced with a People's Congress of some sort.
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

ReiKai
12.06.2012 , 12:04 AM | #7
The problem is, both sides lean towards opposite extremes. The Sith Empire is the epitome of intolerance with straight up specism. They believe the strong rule the weak and anyone who is not Human or Sith is a Lesser Creature who is only good as a slave or target practice. The only partial exception to this were the Chiss who worked out a deal with the Empire rather than fight them over who/what was better and just accepted Imperial Rule in exchange for allowing them to keep their government system in tact.

The Republic is not much better. They promote universal acceptance and try to bring in every sentient species into their collective government as they can. Which creates a bloated, unstable leadership with so many problems that it can't function properly. With populations too large and demanding with equal rights, it just breeds corruption amongst the upper class, where the Republic's Laws are bent and used to usurp power and financial gain, grinding all of the unfortunate sentients beneath them, regardless of what planet they're from. Worst of all is that Humans, for the most part, are still bigots and racist towards other species. Taris in KotoR pointed that out.

Oppression was evident in both sides, however for the Empire it was part of how the social hierarchy and government worked. With the Republic, it was just a side-effect of their own ruling government being incapable of doing anything more than Discussing problems instead of quickly dealing with it and cleaning up the aftermath.

Neither system is perfect. Both have their good points and their bad. But since they are at odds with each other, they'll never find a Middle Ground that would function and eliminate most of the problems the galaxy is plagued with.

I have characters in both Empire and Republic, though I am mainly Empire. It wasn't about "Evil is Cool", though Imp classes are more aesthetically pleasing. However, many of my Imp characters were geared more towards Light/Neutral standings with ideas on Improving the Empire, rather than be caught up in the Imperial War Machine and just burn everything to ash in their path. Malgus had the idea to reform the Empire, however it was imperfect and simply trying to seize power and force the change only resulted in disaster. Such changes would require decades or even centuries to fully implement since these things need to be done Gradually, and generally start with Education.

The Empire's problem is that most Imperial citizens are taught that the Republic is evil and that they will massacre their families if given the chance. This belief was originally brought about by the events of the Great Hyperspace War when Naga Sadow forced them into war with the Republic, lost, and then in retaliation, the Jedi and Republic did in fact try to exterminate the Sith People and chased the remnants into the Unknown Regions. Darth Vitiate, who would become the Sith Emperor, engrained the belief that the Republic will forever try to exterminate their race and their way of life if they do not follow him and obey his teachings.

When it comes down to it, the Sith are not all bad nor inherently evil, and the Jedi are not all good nor is their wisdom in the best interest of the Republic, since it caries their prejudice of the Sith and the idea that the only Philosophy about the Force that is correct is their own and everyone else is wrong.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

Amien
12.06.2012 , 12:25 AM | #8
Actually... If Sidious hadn't been defeated, his massive navy and elite troopers would have been ready for the Vong invasion. The death star would have been VERY convenient to have around to blow their moving home world away

It was a very long time ago, so I won't be able to find the post, but someone pointed out that everything Sidious was doing before the Rebel Alliance appeared, was preparing for something. This person provided even more evidence that the thing Sidious was preparing for was indeed the Vong invasion. Why would you build a massive station capable destroying planets (Which the Vong planet doubled as their primary base), without anyone to fight? Sidious didn't need the death star to end the clone wars, and he knew that. He wasn't expecting the Rebels to appear either, so the death star was not built to fight an insurgency.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
New Thread:http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=297

khayyinx
12.06.2012 , 08:55 PM | #9
My point is, i don't see the Republic turning the galaxy a perfect place to live in any situation, while for the empire all that it takes is a good and efficient leader.

davracahan
12.07.2012 , 03:43 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by khayyinx View Post
My point is, i don't see the Republic turning the galaxy a perfect place to live in any situation, while for the empire all that it takes is a good and efficient leader.
Freedom isn't perfect, but it's still better than subjugation. "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." -C.S. Lewis

Plus, if there was no battle between good and evil in Star Wars and The Empire was simply another way to govern...Star Wars would get real boring real fast.

Oh, and I'm Republic, all the way.
"Oh yeah? Watch this!"