Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Another Patch - Still CTD

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MikeTheDuke's Avatar


MikeTheDuke
12.06.2012 , 08:03 PM | #31
Ok, Firstly when you want to look at memory usage, do it while in game, if you are using 16% memory, the game is certainly not running.

There is always 2 processes of swtor.exe one will be the main game the other I am unsure, but this interprocess communication I feel is a reason for some of the lag we see. But this is another side point.

This game is a 32bit game, therefore installing more than 4GB of RAM and running a 64bit OS is not the solution. There is some issues though I have seen with 32bit applications running and needing more RAM that what Windows will allow.

32bit application are allowed to utilise 2GB of RAM in Windows. This can be an issue, especially when games like SWTOR certainly need more. BUT. There is a thing called PAE, which is Physical Address Extensions when enables 36bit addressing when then enables the use of about 3GB of RAM per application. To check to see if PAE is on. It says that it is on by default if the machine support hardware DEP. But this is different for each machine and I have needed to turn it on sometimes.

For Information of PAE and updating.

My suggestion is to try this even if you feel it is already on, give it a try. Another, due to the massive memory contingent required for SWTOR, check the size, location of your swap file. If you open Task Manager and on the processes tab you can view the number of Page Faults (this often needs to be added), if SWTOR.exe is performing a lot of Page Faults, it means it is accessing the Page File a lot. Try increasing the size of the file or
check the disk the page file is on. The page file might have some bad sectors on the disk. So perform a chkdsk If it is happening at regular intervals then it seems that there are issues with your system and it causing it to crash.

Also, try PageDefrage. This is an advanced topic and is only recommended if you know what you are doing. Defrag the drive that the page file is on, this will help create more contiguous spcace. Then run the PageDefrag. Next reboot it will perform this task. NOTE. Read the page carefully and do not assume anything. The Defrag the Page file is OK, but leave the registry hive alone.

I am not sure what else could be offered. Yes upgrading to 64bit OS will remove a lot of memory constraints, evening on a 4GB system this can help give you a little more memory but it will also mean 32 bit applications can access all of the 3GB possible for a 32bit application.

So before you run, check the amount of free memory available on your system as well. Make sure it is enough, stopping processes not needed can help. Stopping services that aren't needed helps more. Other than those thigns I am not sure where else to go, as I am also unsure what else BioWare could do as well, since this is sounding like a specifc problem.

Also if you could post the specs of your machine. Provide information from the eventlog or the reliability history, since the module that it fails in might help with finding the solution.

morfius's Avatar


morfius
12.07.2012 , 03:53 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeTheDuke View Post
Ok, Firstly when you want to look at memory usage, do it while in game, if you are using 16% memory, the game is certainly not running.

There is always 2 processes of swtor.exe one will be the main game the other I am unsure, but this interprocess communication I feel is a reason for some of the lag we see. But this is another side point.

This game is a 32bit game, therefore installing more than 4GB of RAM and running a 64bit OS is not the solution. There is some issues though I have seen with 32bit applications running and needing more RAM that what Windows will allow.

32bit application are allowed to utilise 2GB of RAM in Windows. This can be an issue, especially when games like SWTOR certainly need more. BUT. There is a thing called PAE, which is Physical Address Extensions when enables 36bit addressing when then enables the use of about 3GB of RAM per application. To check to see if PAE is on. It says that it is on by default if the machine support hardware DEP. But this is different for each machine and I have needed to turn it on sometimes.

For Information of PAE and updating.

My suggestion is to try this even if you feel it is already on, give it a try. Another, due to the massive memory contingent required for SWTOR, check the size, location of your swap file. If you open Task Manager and on the processes tab you can view the number of Page Faults (this often needs to be added), if SWTOR.exe is performing a lot of Page Faults, it means it is accessing the Page File a lot. Try increasing the size of the file or
check the disk the page file is on. The page file might have some bad sectors on the disk. So perform a chkdsk If it is happening at regular intervals then it seems that there are issues with your system and it causing it to crash.

Also, try PageDefrage. This is an advanced topic and is only recommended if you know what you are doing. Defrag the drive that the page file is on, this will help create more contiguous spcace. Then run the PageDefrag. Next reboot it will perform this task. NOTE. Read the page carefully and do not assume anything. The Defrag the Page file is OK, but leave the registry hive alone.

I am not sure what else could be offered. Yes upgrading to 64bit OS will remove a lot of memory constraints, evening on a 4GB system this can help give you a little more memory but it will also mean 32 bit applications can access all of the 3GB possible for a 32bit application.

So before you run, check the amount of free memory available on your system as well. Make sure it is enough, stopping processes not needed can help. Stopping services that aren't needed helps more. Other than those thigns I am not sure where else to go, as I am also unsure what else BioWare could do as well, since this is sounding like a specifc problem.

Also if you could post the specs of your machine. Provide information from the eventlog or the reliability history, since the module that it fails in might help with finding the solution.
Here we go again...
PAE is useful for Windows 2003 Server x86 and more than 4 GB of RAM... it is not working with more than 4 GB (M$ disabled it) on XP (after SP2) /Vista/7 x86
If you have exactly 4GB - give it a try + /3GB tuning. (Windows 7 start PAE with hardware DEP start, otherwise have to enable it)
Above 4 GB of RAM ... either go 7/8 x64 or try 2003 server with /PAE (there is bunch of pages explaining how to do workstation from 2003 server, but drivers will give you some hell)
Bellow 4GB of RAM ... screwed, go upgrade - then see above.

P.S. - /3GB have not to be used on systems with more than 4GB RAM & PAE enabled (XP SP1 or 2003 Server).
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

Cerimon's Avatar


Cerimon
12.07.2012 , 04:26 AM | #33 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings All,

Firstly, we apologize for the delay in our response to this thread. Please let me draw your attention to Joveths' post in the thread linked earlier by nattodaisuki. In that, Joveth acknowledges memory related crashes with the game client since Game Update 1.4.

We look forward to posting some good news on this issue as soon as possible.

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Grondar's Avatar


Grondar
12.07.2012 , 06:08 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
Greetings All,

Firstly, we apologize for the delay in our response to this thread.
That's ok bro, we're used to it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post

We look forward to posting some good news on this issue as soon as possible.
Again, it's only been an ongoing issue for months now, take your time. What's a few more months. In fact, you know what, take the rest of december off.
Also getting a crash to desktop every 1,5 to 2 hours. Also 32 bit windows system. It doesn't matter that much to me though. I am having fun with leveling alts and experiencing my class stories. Only thing I cannot do is you know, group with people. For some funny reason these crashes happen when I'm right in the middle of a +4 heroic or a FP and my team wipes when I go. Boy, were they mad after that happened 4 times in one night, but I told them to be mature about it.

But it doesn't matter, I still have the single player experience. It's not like this is an mmo or something.

DarkkChaos's Avatar


DarkkChaos
12.07.2012 , 11:14 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
Greetings All,

Firstly, we apologize for the delay in our response to this thread. Please let me draw your attention to Joveths' post in the thread linked earlier by nattodaisuki. In that, Joveth acknowledges memory related crashes with the game client since Game Update 1.4.

We look forward to posting some good news on this issue as soon as possible.
Holy snap....I almost fell out of my chair!!! Finally a response...

Yes, honestly people...this needs to be addressed - too many users....too many issues. I can deal with the little in game bugs, I can. Quality of life - I can allow a certain amount of "wiggle room"...........but the simply inability to run this game for more than 120 consecutive minutes - is simply not on!

I will keep watching these threads for any sort of update......and hopefully, BW can fix this memory leak garbage that they broke with the 1.4 update......it's really been long enough.
CTD...every 120 mins...since : 9/26/2012

*** *** ***

DarkkChaos's Avatar


DarkkChaos
12.07.2012 , 11:24 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeTheDuke View Post
Ok, Firstly when you want to look at memory usage, do it while in game, if you are using 16% memory, the game is certainly not running.

There is always 2 processes of swtor.exe one will be the main game the other I am unsure, but this interprocess communication I feel is a reason for some of the lag we see. But this is another side point.

This game is a 32bit game, therefore installing more than 4GB of RAM and running a 64bit OS is not the solution. There is some issues though I have seen with 32bit applications running and needing more RAM that what Windows will allow.

32bit application are allowed to utilise 2GB of RAM in Windows. This can be an issue, especially when games like SWTOR certainly need more. BUT. There is a thing called PAE, which is Physical Address Extensions when enables 36bit addressing when then enables the use of about 3GB of RAM per application. To check to see if PAE is on. It says that it is on by default if the machine support hardware DEP. But this is different for each machine and I have needed to turn it on sometimes.

For Information of PAE and updating.

My suggestion is to try this even if you feel it is already on, give it a try. Another, due to the massive memory contingent required for SWTOR, check the size, location of your swap file. If you open Task Manager and on the processes tab you can view the number of Page Faults (this often needs to be added), if SWTOR.exe is performing a lot of Page Faults, it means it is accessing the Page File a lot. Try increasing the size of the file or
check the disk the page file is on. The page file might have some bad sectors on the disk. So perform a chkdsk If it is happening at regular intervals then it seems that there are issues with your system and it causing it to crash.

Also, try PageDefrage. This is an advanced topic and is only recommended if you know what you are doing. Defrag the drive that the page file is on, this will help create more contiguous spcace. Then run the PageDefrag. Next reboot it will perform this task. NOTE. Read the page carefully and do not assume anything. The Defrag the Page file is OK, but leave the registry hive alone.

I am not sure what else could be offered. Yes upgrading to 64bit OS will remove a lot of memory constraints, evening on a 4GB system this can help give you a little more memory but it will also mean 32 bit applications can access all of the 3GB possible for a 32bit application.

So before you run, check the amount of free memory available on your system as well. Make sure it is enough, stopping processes not needed can help. Stopping services that aren't needed helps more. Other than those thigns I am not sure where else to go, as I am also unsure what else BioWare could do as well, since this is sounding like a specifc problem.

Also if you could post the specs of your machine. Provide information from the eventlog or the reliability history, since the module that it fails in might help with finding the solution.
This is all well an good - and a lot of the info being supplied by the community is = get a better PC.

My PC is good...and it ran this game JUST fine on the highest graphic settings allowed....pre 1.4.

If I take my car to get an oil change done - and I go an pick it up....and then suddenly every 100 kms (miles for you Americans), the oil filter falls off -------------- do I go buy a NEW CAR???? No....I go back to where I got my oil changed and demand they fix my car!

This is a glitched that was caused by BW and BW alone. I didn't do anything...I didn't change anything. I didn't remove RAM, remove graphic cards or remove the little hamster that runs inside and power's my PC! If I did something...FINE, I'm responsible for my own error..........same applies when a gaming company breaks THEIR game.

It's really that simple. I'm not going to run out - spend a bunch of money to upgrade my PC (unnecessarily)....and then continue PAYING for this game. Doesn't really make a whole ton of sense....
CTD...every 120 mins...since : 9/26/2012

*** *** ***