Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthTicoris
12.06.2012 , 05:18 PM | #261
1. Prophecy of the Five
2. All
3. Once every 1-3 hours
4. Loading new areas, Loading dialog, Interacting with Vendors, Loging into another Character
5. DxDiag
Spoiler

6. Reliability Report
Spoiler

7. Just crashes to the Desktop without an error message or anything, Just straight to desktop like it wasn't even running

Rexvan
12.06.2012 , 05:37 PM | #262
Quote: Originally Posted by LetoAtreidesII View Post
That would be virtually everyone running 32-bit Windows, who all have a maximum 3.5 gigs of combined RAM and VRAM regardless of what they have in their machine, as well as some people running 64-bit Windows. I suppose if they don't consider 32-bit users as real users, then it really is a small number of users. It might be accurate to say that "...a small number of [64-bit] users [are] experiencing an increase in memory related crashes."

Or, maybe there aren't that many 32-bit users relative to 64-bit users playing the game. I guess that's possible, but I find that doubtful. If true, then almost everyone playing SWTOR is running 64-bit Windows, which I find unlikely.

I guess it's also possible that they simply aren't aware of how many people this issue is affecting, especially since many might simply have cancelled their subscriptions without a word.
I have windows 64 bit and the game just hangs on me forcing me to manualy do a hard shutdown as my mouse and keyboard wont respond it crashes the hole pc and ive got a 3k gaming rig

OwenBrooks
12.06.2012 , 06:32 PM | #263
Ok your OS has only service pack 2 installed and your system only has 2 gig of memory.
update your OS to SP 3 and all updates that are available after SP3 is installed and seriously consider adding another 2 gig of memory.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTicoris View Post
1. Prophecy of the Five
2. All
3. Once every 1-3 hours
4. Loading new areas, Loading dialog, Interacting with Vendors, Loging into another Character
5. DxDiag
Spoiler

6. Reliability Report
Spoiler

7. Just crashes to the Desktop without an error message or anything, Just straight to desktop like it wasn't even running

Xeikai
12.06.2012 , 07:52 PM | #264
1. The Ebon Hawk
2. All Characters
3. Depends, sometimes once every 1-3 hours
4. , just recently running the foundary + quesh i crashed 6 times in a 45 minute span, did nothing in specific, was just fighting, or running to a destination, also crashes sometimes durning dialog cutscenes
5. DxDiag

Spoiler

LetoAtreidesII
12.06.2012 , 07:56 PM | #265
Quote: Originally Posted by Rexvan View Post
I have windows 64 bit and the game just hangs on me forcing me to manualy do a hard shutdown as my mouse and keyboard wont respond it crashes the hole pc and ive got a 3k gaming rig
As I said, the issue definitely affects some people using 64-bit Windows, just like it did earlier this year when it was fixed. However, it's a minority of 64-bit users who are affected. In contrast, almost all 32-bit Windows users are affected; it's virtually impossible to play SWTOR on 32-bit Windows and not be severely affected by this issue.

I'm sure, though, that there are a small minority of people who run the game without much issue on 32-bit Windows probably because they run the game in a way which consumes less RAM (very hard to do and doesn't help much regardless), have a playstyle that doesn't require them to zone very often, and/or have a RAM+VRAM total LESS than 3.5 gigs (which is actually more stable on 32-bit Windows than having more RAM).

Also, don't forget, the memory leak is not the only thing that causes crashes or client instability with SWTOR. So if you're experiencing crashes or other stability issues and run 64-bit Windows, it could very well be some other issue responsible, not the memory leak. And technically, the memory leak affects everybody. It just isn't problematic for most users with 64-bit Windows and lots of RAM because the client can run much longer before the leak causes it to crash.

OwenBrooks
12.06.2012 , 08:07 PM | #266
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeikai View Post
1. The Ebon Hawk
2. All Characters
3. Depends, sometimes once every 1-3 hours
4. , just recently running the foundary + quesh i crashed 6 times in a 45 minute span, did nothing in specific, was just fighting, or running to a destination, also crashes sometimes durning dialog cutscenes
5. DxDiag

Spoiler
I am not sure why it is saying 4gb of shared memory, this should be a bios setting so lower it or disable it if possible as your system doesn't appear to require to share system ram with your video card, is this an inbuilt card or does your system have a inbuilt card but you have plugged another video card in ?

To give you an idea this is what dxdiag memory should look like, see how they pretty much add up dedicated + shared = display memory.
Display Memory: 4042 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1994 MB
Shared Memory: 2047 MB

Yours is below and doesnt add up, did you use dxdiag 64bit ?

Display Memory: 2768 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3047 MB
Shared Memory: 3817 MB

Xeikai
12.06.2012 , 09:58 PM | #267
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
I am not sure why it is saying 4gb of shared memory, this should be a bios setting so lower it or disable it if possible as your system doesn't appear to require to share system ram with your video card, is this an inbuilt card or does your system have a inbuilt card but you have plugged another video card in ?

To give you an idea this is what dxdiag memory should look like, see how they pretty much add up dedicated + shared = display memory.
Display Memory: 4042 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1994 MB
Shared Memory: 2047 MB

Yours is below and doesnt add up, did you use dxdiag 64bit ?

Display Memory: 2768 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3047 MB
Shared Memory: 3817 MB

I did not use dxdiag 64 bit, My board does have an on board DVI port which is for display but i do not use it. the 7950 is all i use

OwenBrooks
12.06.2012 , 10:29 PM | #268
I did not use dxdiag 64 bit, My board does have an on board DVI port which is for display but i do not use it. the 7950 is all i use
I will presume that you have disabled the other gfx card in the bios, what steps have you done so far ?
To be honest your system should not be crashing, do any other games do similar ?
Have you checked the temperatures of your cpu etc when the crashs occur ? swtor will heat up a system rapidly and if your cooling is not up to par it will cause crashing issues.
It may even be possible that your crashs are related to sound drivers, it is a matter now of process of elimination.

Xeikai
12.06.2012 , 10:59 PM | #269
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
I will presume that you have disabled the other gfx card in the bios, what steps have you done so far ?
To be honest your system should not be crashing, do any other games do similar ?
Have you checked the temperatures of your cpu etc when the crashs occur ? swtor will heat up a system rapidly and if your cooling is not up to par it will cause crashing issues.
It may even be possible that your crash's are related to sound drivers, it is a matter now of process of elimination.
my card runs at about 67-70c at 55 percent fan speed overclocked about 15 percent above stock. This is for all games. my CPU hits about 57c at full load under prime 95 at an overclock to 4.2ghz, 1 hour test. My cpu cooling is a cossair h80, i've mounted a side case fan to help stir the air on the videocard to keep airflow steady and flowing to the top of the case. where it's sucked out by the H80, the case also has top vents. So i dont think heat is an issue.

As for disabling the card in the bios, Yes, i've disabled it, i only get this problem with SWTOR. No other game crashes on me like this. I can play other games for extended amounts of time and not get one crash. So i'm really at a loss to what's going on

OwenBrooks
12.06.2012 , 11:10 PM | #270
my card runs at about 67-70c at 55 percent fan speed overclocked about 15 percent above stock. This is for all games. my CPU hits about 57c at full load under prime 95 at an overclock to 4.2ghz, 1 hour test. My cpu cooling is a cossair h80, i've mounted a side case fan to help stir the air on the videocard to keep airflow steady and flowing to the top of the case. where it's sucked out by the H80, the case also has top vents. So i dont think heat is an issue.

As for disabling the card in the bios, Yes, i've disabled it, i only get this problem with SWTOR. No other game crashes on me like this. I can play other games for extended amounts of time and not get one crash. So i'm really at a loss to what's going on
Ok lets start with the obvious, try the following one at a time
have you run the repair utility ?
reset your bios back to defaults (leave other video disabled)
then disable sound in game and see if the crashs still occur
start enabling your previous settings one at a time if the crashs stop