Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Low Level Tanking

Olirion
12.05.2012 , 11:59 AM | #1
New-ish player here with a couple of questions. I am currently leveling a ST Powertech, currently level 15, and I am wanting to know how important threat management is at low levels. I've ran two flashpoints so far, Black Talon and Hammer Station. As far as Black Talon goes, at that level I really had zero abilities for threat management but the group seemed to do fine without me holding aggro. I guess they make it simple since it is the first one. Hammer station was the same deal. It certainly helps having Ion Gas Cylinder but I just do not have a lot of items to keep taunt on multiple targets. Does this get better? Do all the tanking classes have low aggro holding abilities until later levels? I am just trying to make sure I do not suck and it gets better later on. Thanks!
"I will take what is mine. I fear neither Sith or Jedi." -Olirion Vakar, Ebon Hawk

JacksonMo
12.05.2012 , 12:52 PM | #2
The better skills always come later. If you find yourself having trouble, ask the dps to hold back for count of ten while you establish some agro, then ask them to kill mobs weakest first to strongest.

Cleet_Xia
12.05.2012 , 01:01 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Olirion View Post
New-ish player here with a couple of questions. I am currently leveling a ST Powertech, currently level 15, and I am wanting to know how important threat management is at low levels. I've ran two flashpoints so far, Black Talon and Hammer Station. As far as Black Talon goes, at that level I really had zero abilities for threat management but the group seemed to do fine without me holding aggro. I guess they make it simple since it is the first one. Hammer station was the same deal. It certainly helps having Ion Gas Cylinder but I just do not have a lot of items to keep taunt on multiple targets. Does this get better? Do all the tanking classes have low aggro holding abilities until later levels? I am just trying to make sure I do not suck and it gets better later on. Thanks!
first- it gets better very quick - the first taunt comes at level 18 or so for all the tank classes. But that isn't really what makes a good tank, great. It's learning out to make the pull based on how the mobs are arranged, so that you can maintain threat on the largest possible portion of the pull. None of the lower level FP's require a tank to play very well, but the tanking difficulty ramps up fairly quickly.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

Skodan
12.05.2012 , 02:40 PM | #4
black talon was designed to not really need players specialized in tanking or healing and is actually set up where you can do it with 2 players (plus their companions), so you wont really need the tanking abilities until a few more levels with higher FPs
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

Infalliable
12.05.2012 , 03:21 PM | #5
Really, nobody can fullfill a specialized role until about L20. That is when you start to get skills via talents that separate the various specializations within the classes.

Before that, anyone with a heal is basically as good as any other "healer."

Any "tank spec" is about as survivable as any other character in similar armor.

After L20, you really start to see a difference. By L30, you really can't perform a role you are not specialized for.

wetslampigduex
12.05.2012 , 03:34 PM | #6
It's a bit hectic until you get your aoe taunt and your pull. From my experience though tanking at the lower level made me a much better tank in the long run. Looking at pulls finding the strongs figuring out how i can aggro all of them. I also found that if your dps focus fire with you at lower levels it's much easier on healers.(rather than the norm of killing weak mobs moving to strong) Pull with Death from above when up at low levels trying to hit as many mobs as possible.(when i lvld my PT the AOE on DFA was much bigger so you could hit almost every mob in every pull omg how i miss the old DFA with like a 12m radius) If you fail to attack mobs they'll just attack the healer because they have no one else putting threat on them.

ThrillInstructor
12.05.2012 , 04:03 PM | #7
Lower level tanking is difficult but an invaluable learning experience not only for the tank but also for the damage dealers who accompany you. You, the tank, learn to prioritize whereas the DDs learn to dispatch weaker enemies who'd otherwise attack the healer. Basically, as soon as you have your first single target taunt available, you are ready to do your part as a tank IF your damage dealers know their job, too.
The further you progress in levels the more you have to learn to use your taunts economically to maintain aggro on boss enemies in prolonged encounters or to quickly grasp aggro on adds or breakaways attacking your healer.
Consequently, even tough a good tank/healer team can compensate for quite a lot, it is basically the discipline and the tactical awareness of the other people you play with which will make the difference between a stressful experience and a fun run through group content. The rest for any tank is just a very normal learning curve: Keep your cool, prioritize targets, look out for your healer and train your overall 'battlefield awareness' in order to detect threats.

Draloch
12.06.2012 , 12:35 AM | #8
Soon you will get a "taunt" move that forces an enemy to focus on you. Your life will get much better then.

For now, if your team is having a real hard time, you can instruct the damage dealers to give you a good 10 seconds of alone time with just you and the healer focusing on the big hard hitting boss, and that should help make sure he stays on you.

Be sure that you are in your "stance" that says it increases threat generation by 100%. Not sure if you have that stance at level 15 but, along with your taunt, it's key to keeping the enemy's attention.