Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Republic: Do you guys even try/care about PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > Prophecy of the Five
Republic: Do you guys even try/care about PvP?

NRN_Hawk
12.04.2012 , 03:19 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Commissar_Omega View Post
You will never have a good pvp community unless player ownership is tied to the pvp system. Every game that has done so had/has a vibrant pvp community.

E-rivalry requires symbols of e-honor (cities, bases, space stations, houses, boats, spaceships, ect...). Until there is a major player and guild centric dynamic around pvp there will be nobody who really "cares about it". In the absence of tangible, expensive, and valued items that players can take from one-another, pvp is no more serious or "cared about" than an amateur softball league.
Knowing BW if they would bring something like that in the game you'd have to unlock a character perk for 10 mil. once you get that item. xD

I'd be happy if they'd create something like Wintergrasp at least for a start. The only thing I really miss about WoW is messing up stormwind with 3 guys.
Hawk's Twitch

Streaming PVP in crossdress mode - You can hate, but you too will be hawked \m/

Subbed since wave 2 early access, back when Valor still mattered on Ilum.

~Pot5~

AstralProjection
12.04.2012 , 06:44 AM | #52
You will never have a good pvp community unless player ownership is tied to the pvp system. Every game that has done so had/has a vibrant pvp community.

E-rivalry requires symbols of e-honor (cities, bases, space stations, houses, boats, spaceships, ect...). Until there is a major player and guild centric dynamic around pvp there will be nobody who really "cares about it". In the absence of tangible, expensive, and valued items that players can take from one-another, pvp is no more serious or "cared about" than an amateur softball league.
I agree completely, been saying that for a long time. It's one of the things that makes this game seem so pointless. Being in a guild is just permanent group chat, there's nothing to do as a guild or faction.

Sadly though, I think Hawk is right. We probably won't get anything like that for years, and when we do, it'll be a purchasable unlock from the Cartel Store. I would be happy with some outposts that one faction or the other could capture on each world map, but we'll never see that either. Capital City raids will be missed sorely.
PAX REPUBLICA
SWTOR Thread Guild Website
Softcore PVP with Hardcore Determination
Prophecy of the Five | Poet Warlord | International Guild

Lurdtz
12.04.2012 , 10:09 AM | #53
Actually we don't care. On the republic side we have a valor bonus of +1000 exploit when we have the most damage taken. So it is simply about getting our valor boosted.

This was inserted to counter the imperial exploit on Ilum back in January.

Also, when we see any of the imperial leet guilds we quake in terror and simply seem unable to face roll our key boards anymore. I mean I know that when I see Whipser (he mispells it btw) from Casual I am in awe of his gear that I simply have to stand there and watch in amazement while I inspect him real close like.

In fact I think I can corner the market by making a T-Shirt that says "I survived ToR stun wars".

So I will keep pvping against the elitist imperials and screaming "Medics in front cuz I want to die first"

So look for me running around terminals while I try to avoid the smashes and healing myself to get the most mvp votes.

/Trooper:

Lurdtz

Skyhigh
12.04.2012 , 10:42 AM | #54
Dear Rebs: "Grinding" Comms does not make you better...../slaphand

Stncold
12.05.2012 , 01:20 AM | #55
Most of the good Pubs have either got bored and quit, rerolled Imp for one reason or another, or got sick of the terrible Pubs almost every wz and quit.

Yea it's a pretty sad state, most people I've talked to are either waiting for 1.6 and rateds to start kicking again. Maybe we'll see a resurgence then. I'm prob just gonna let my sub lapse for a month and play casually while I mainly play Planetside 2 and LoL.
Selthia-Guardian
Zarrec- Gunslinger Yorenec-Commando
POT5.
RIP The Fatman

Nism-
12.05.2012 , 03:56 AM | #56
I am just glad Bioware let me play.
Carebear FTW

Ocranaranasaurus
12.05.2012 , 09:21 AM | #57

You, sir, clearly played SWG as well. One of the many things that game did right was let you build your own cities and PvP bases. It is a whole new game when you enter an enemy player made city to take down their player made overt bases. Brings to life guild rivalries when you are knee deep in blowing up a base and get surrounded by an entire enemy guild looking to kill you and then return the favor.

This will never happen though for SWTOR and if it did, you guys were right to say it would be a $10 cartel market perk item that you could probably only be allowed to put at some remote corner of Tatooine that no one will find or think to look. Not even Sand People will know it exists.

Something I would REALLY like to see brought over is a change in space play so that it emulated SWG. Off the tracks, in an semi/open zone, and crafter based parts. Once again, never going to happen, but a man can dream, right?
Xycos
The Ode Family Clan

Chocobo_Kramer
12.05.2012 , 04:53 PM | #58
I blame the state of republic on a couple things. One of which is gear. I like to Q up solo quite a bit, just to work on my rotation and spec or whatever. The thing that I notice is how flippin squishy our guys are. Recently, there have been a crap ton of guys getting into wz's with 14-15k health. In fact, there was a group I was in earlier in which the highest health (other than myself) was 16k.

Another thing I blame it on is weak premades. This is something that even I am guilty of. I like to group up with my guild (who more often than not are undergeared) and we also have a poor makeup. We have so many bleepity bleep DPS sages it's ridiculous. We're good players, but having us all in the same group does not make for a winning formula. Not to mention, some of our members have had to reroll to a healer because we just flat out don't have any at level 50 (I've had to reroll to a sentinel, because Sage DPS is just not very viable in rated situations). I know a BUNCH of Imperial guilds that can form a great premade at the drop of a hat... Can't say the same for the Republic guilds. Maybe Hostile Takeover, Hoth Ski Patrol, and Firestorm can, but it seems that most other guilds that run premades just struggle with formulating a geared team with the correct composition...

Anyways, thanks for reading

-Teknus

Matieu
12.05.2012 , 07:30 PM | #59
Well... I don't know about everybody else... but for the past five days (Just got back to playing) I've logged on and been winning regular matches pretty much all the time. Of course, that's when I'm playing with at least one other member of my guild Pax, usually more. There's a loss every now and then, but nowhere near the level you guys seem to be saying.
Matieu Khai Smuggler for hire.
Matieu... 50 Scoundrel.-- Kai'ne... 50 Sentinel
Mateyu... 50 Trooper -- Cai'ne... 50 Operative
Valin... 50 Gunslinger

RendakFel
12.05.2012 , 07:31 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Chocobo_Kramer View Post
I blame the state of republic on a couple things. One of which is gear. I like to Q up solo quite a bit, just to work on my rotation and spec or whatever. The thing that I notice is how flippin squishy our guys are. Recently, there have been a crap ton of guys getting into wz's with 14-15k health. In fact, there was a group I was in earlier in which the highest health (other than myself) was 16k.

Another thing I blame it on is weak premades. This is something that even I am guilty of. I like to group up with my guild (who more often than not are undergeared) and we also have a poor makeup. We have so many bleepity bleep DPS sages it's ridiculous. We're good players, but having us all in the same group does not make for a winning formula. Not to mention, some of our members have had to reroll to a healer because we just flat out don't have any at level 50 (I've had to reroll to a sentinel, because Sage DPS is just not very viable in rated situations). I know a BUNCH of Imperial guilds that can form a great premade at the drop of a hat... Can't say the same for the Republic guilds. Maybe Hostile Takeover, Hoth Ski Patrol, and Firestorm can, but it seems that most other guilds that run premades just struggle with formulating a geared team with the correct composition...

Anyways, thanks for reading

-Teknus
Everybody is much less squishy when taunts are rotated. Unfortunately, the influx of lolsmashers are largely the same group of lolpowertech's from yesteryear. They still don't taunt.
Oldprime - 50 Pyro PowerTech
Prophecy of Five
<Old Republic War>
Guild Leader