Lore: Doesn't rule-out any species/class combination?

Stoofa

I'm not a "knowledge base" on the expanded universe, lore etc. I've read my fair share, but there are plenty of other people out there who do know better.

However, as far as I can see there is nothing in lore that prevents any combination of species/class from the current choices?

Sure some of the combinations are far more likely than others. Some would only happen rarely. But as far as I can tell there is no combination which is actually a definite no. Am I right in that assumption/statement?

Ta

I'm not a "knowledge base" on the expanded universe, lore etc. I've read my fair share, but there are plenty of other people out there who do know better.

However, as far as I can see there is nothing in lore that prevents any combination of species/class from the current choices?

Sure some of the combinations are far more likely than others. Some would only happen rarely. But as far as I can tell there is no combination which is actually a definite no. Am I right in that assumption/statement?

Ta

Short Answer: You are correct.

Aliens can do what they want. Just because a whole species feels a certain way doesn't mean that one character has to. Anything is possible in a galaxy the size of SWTOR, there are bound to be exceptions.

Long Answer: Ehhh.... kinda.

A few of the glaring Lore-bending combinations:

Miraluka: BH, Smuggler, Trooper, Agent

Miraluka are blind, they sense things through the Force. Of course they can still sense non-living objects, but it just doesn't make sense for a Miraluka to captain a ship or be around an excessive amount of technology. Also, all Miraluka have the Force, so not using it would be strange for them.

Mirialans: Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor

The green people have long sided with the Republic. Not only that, but they are a highly religious people. If their religion has them side with the Republic, most likely it would be directly opposed to becoming a Sith.

Chiss: Pretty much everything besides Agent

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Chiss are very rare in the galaxy. They are in an alliance with the Empire, so it makes sense for them to be agents. Bounty hunters....? Sure, I guess, but it's strange for them to be independent like that. Force user? Um, no. Any Republic class? Doubtable. But this has been raged about enough already elsewhere...

Rattataki/Sith Purebloods: Jedi Knight, Jedi Counsular

Both of these species are naturally violent and feed off conflict and battle. Their cultures are so contrary to the Jedi ideals, it's a strech to say the Order would even allow them into their ranks.

Twi'lek: Troopers

Yeah..... the lack of a helmet could be a problem.....

Are any of these or other combinations a "definate no"? No, they could happen. That character would probably just be its own special snowflake. :3

Edited by Warren-Stride

The issue of Chiss force users has been argued a lot. If you go back to the source (Timothy Zahn's books), they really didn't talk much about it, Thrawn indicated it was something they didn't really know about, but due to the fact that there are now a couple of force-using Chiss in some novels and comics, it's accepted that they can exist. Also, since we know Chiss are descended from humans, there's a pretty good chance there are Chiss born with force sensitivity. The general accpeted idea is that they just don't teach/encourage it in their culture.

As I've pointed out before on this discussion, Chiss interacting with the Empire or Republic at all prior to the Clone Wars is total lore-changing retconning anyway. :p

If that's true, they must have retconned the Chiss. As far as I know they aren't force-sensitive as a species.

A while back, we saw a Chiss agent who was the Supreme Commander before Grievous. After that, we have seen a Chiss Jedi Knight during the Clone War era.

Unfortunately Lore typically does tend to get pushed aside in favor of player choices. I definitely did a double-take when Blizzard decided suddenly that Night Elves could be mages. I can see a Sith Pureblood making the decision to turn from the dark side. I can see Chiss being force sensitive. The problem is when you see LOTS of them all together. But in general I kind of try to ignore things like that when I'm walking around on the fleet and pretend my own character's stories exist in a vacuum. Now if you're in a RP circle, they generally have rules and limitations to what you can do within a group.

*Shrug* Jedi Knight storyline alone has an occasional example of Chiss/Sith Pureblood joining pubbies for one reason or another.

It is a Galaxy where completely blind people have no problem whatsoever to fight and move about since they " can sense everything through the force" With that in mind, every combination makes sense because Space Magic.

With reference to the Sith Pureblood Jedi.

I don't actually have an issue with this, as long as the numbers stay low. I was worried when it was first announced that reaching 50 would unlock the race for all classes. I honestly expect everyone to have a Sith Jedi. What I'm pleased to see is that there don't appear to be that many.

I saw a Miraluka Bounty Hunter yesterday and even that seemed to work. So they "see with the force" but it doesn't mean they would follow the path of being a force user.

As long as the "at a stretch" combinations remain quite rare I'm happy to see all the differences. The main reason for my initial post was to see if there was any combination that could not possibly happen - so if any of the races weren't force sensitive, yet could be Jedi/Sith etc.

But it would appear that although some combinations are a "stretch" there is nothing that simply could not happen.

also remember not all force sensitives are powerful some can just do party tricks or heal you with jedi power:p

so i can see them not becoming a full jedi or sith there affinity is just not as strong as others of there species

Edited by gpgtx

also remember not all force sensitives are powerful some can just do party tricks or heal you with jedi power:p

so i can see them not becoming a full jedi or sith there affinity is just not as strong as others of there species

Oh Guss, I will never forget thee.

Guss is what Jar Jar SHOULD HAVE BEEN.

Edited by ckoneful

But as far as I can tell there is no combination which is actually a definite no. Am I right in that assumption/statement?

Ta

You are correct, there is no combination that is, by lore, impossible.

It boils down to likelihoods. Like Warren-Stride showed, there are certain race/class combinations that just do not make a lot of sense.

I play Dungeons and Dragons tabletop RPG, and in those rules it says that any race can play any class. However, in each class description there is a section about what races are more likely to be said class. The same thing can be said of the star wars universe: all races can be all classes, but each race has its leanings.