Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shield Generator VS Power Generator

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Shield Generator VS Power Generator

Abundon
12.15.2011 , 09:01 AM | #1
How do they both work? Whats the difference? Can Guardians use both?

Thanks!

Methosan
12.15.2011 , 09:04 AM | #2
generally the shield generators are for tanking as they have the 20% absorb on them (proc I think).

I think guardian can use both, as they can spec either tank or dps.

Midarenkov
12.15.2011 , 09:05 AM | #3
Guardians can use both yes. The Power Generator has better stats on it for hitting things, whereas the shield generator gives you a chance to suffer less damage when hit. (although the chance for it to activate is really low unless you are in your tanking stance). Therefore, ideally you use the power generator when dealing damage and the shieldy thing when tanking hard stuff.

CoolSuggies
12.15.2011 , 09:09 AM | #4
Good to know.

Darkwing
12.16.2011 , 11:37 AM | #5
Do you have to activate one once it is equipped or is it a passive thing? Also if it requires activation how do you?

Ruan
12.16.2011 , 11:47 AM | #6
Power Generators exist for classes who can't use shields in their off-hand, they just give stats.

Shield Generators do everything Power Generators do (including having offensive stats) and also allow shield procs.

Shield chance is: 0% base + 20% tanking stance + shield rating.
Shield absorb is: 20% base + absorb rating.
Social features; cantinas, player housing, guild cities, these are what SWG did right.
PvP specific gear is the best way to kill PvP by segregating your player base.

Moghzu
12.18.2011 , 10:35 AM | #7
To be honest, I never seen my shield proc. I am in Soresu stance, so I should have a 20% chance. It should trigger quite often but never???

Do you have to do anthing for it to proc or just hit or get hit? Do you need some special item I am missing apart from the shield generator in off hand?

Would appreciate any ideas/comments.

Thanks.

CPTMightyWhitey
12.05.2012 , 12:48 PM | #8
The shield generator gives a 5% base chance to proc a 20% absorption as mentioned, but a tank class can also use a power generator to gain the additional stat such as Tech Power (using an Aim / Endurance shield as an example here) they offer over the shield generator. This would be useful if you are using a dps spec as it increases bonus damage under the tech stats.

JacksonMo
12.05.2012 , 01:01 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkwing View Post
Do you have to activate one once it is equipped or is it a passive thing? Also if it requires activation how do you?
No it is "always on". As opposed to Relics many of which require activation, which can be made easy by dragging your relic onto an empty task bar slot and assigning it a hot-key.
(Some relics are active when equipped and don't need this)

Khevar
12.05.2012 , 02:22 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Moghzu View Post
To be honest, I never seen my shield proc. I am in Soresu stance, so I should have a 20% chance. It should trigger quite often but never???

Do you have to do anthing for it to proc or just hit or get hit? Do you need some special item I am missing apart from the shield generator in off hand?

Would appreciate any ideas/comments.

Thanks.
I don't believe there is a visible animation when the shield procs. At least it doesn't for my Shadow Tank. But it should be happening automatically.