Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Promoting World PvP (and how we're doing it wrong)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > Prophecy of the Five
Promoting World PvP (and how we're doing it wrong)

Commissar_Omega
12.04.2012 , 05:54 PM | #1
The devs don't like it, they didn't plan for it, and they gave us almost no motivation to do it. I love world pvp in games, much more than running around a hub (I run around the Imperial Fleet so much waiting for games my girlfriend took to referring to it as a "lobby") waiting for queues. I find the pvp in TOR to be equitable and well-balanced, which is the only reason why I've stayed here for so long. World pvp is however not a priority for the devs, as exemplified by their handling of Ilum. If the community wants world pvp, they will have to do it themselves.

I see some misguided attempts to create a pvp community. I've been pvp'ing in MMO's for over a decade and I've seen good communities and bad ones, as well as what makes both. Cooperation does not breed conflict. Read again: cooperation DOES NOT breed sustained conflict. These "world pvp" events are nice, as well as attempts by guild leader to "get together" to coordinate pvp, but they won't cause sustained server conflict, for a couple of reasons:

1. There's no point. A long time ago, people were ok with pvp'ing just for funzies. With the introduction of gear and other inscentives to pvp, the expectations of the MMO playerbase have changed. People won't come out in large numbers to pvp anymore for "the fun of it".

2. There's no momentum. People aren't going to show up to world pvp if there is not consistently people doing world pvp. If they expect not to have a fight, then they won't show up.

3. You're competing with warzones. People get instant and rewarding pvp from queuing up for warzones, rather than traveling around attempting to find a fight.

Essentially cooperation is the very antithesis of what guilds should be doing in the environment that the devs have provided.

Let me clarify though: guilds are cooperating to create spurts of world pvp, instead of cooperating to create conflict that will provide sustained world pvp. Guilds should be doing the latter.

How do you create this conflict? The devs have provided to us, on this pvp server, one tool to do this. We can attack players wherever we can actually get to (so not the fleet and the faction capital ect. and lowbie planets).

If you want to create conflict on this server you must prevent players from doing things they want to do until they pvp you. That means farming factional hubs, camping daily zones, and contesting the entrance to instances on places like ilum, sectionX, and the black hole. The larger guilds that are interested in world pvp should get together and form op groups to contest these highly populated areas, until the other faction decides to form op groups to push them out.

You MUST tie world pvp to something that players care about, and players care about doing instances, dailies, and other things. The only way you will see a healthy world pvp community is by contesting these things, until the developers add a specific world pvp dynamic. If you do not do this you will never see good world pvp in TOR in it's current state.

I guarantee it.
Komissar Omega
Pot5 - 50 Sith Sorcerer
Pkers

NRN_Hawk
12.04.2012 , 06:06 PM | #2
/sign

Problem is, if you go one step too far the almighty Ion Cannon will kill you instantly, one of the things that annoy me most in SWTOR.

Dreadtooth is a good example for how world pvp in SWTOR can work out tho, have the better team, kill the opposing faction and dreadtooth is yours. I remember invading some minor Alliance City in WoW - forgot the name sry - ganking lowbies etc... that was really fun, even if you got invaded on your own territory.

There won't be anything like Stranglethorn in SWTOR soon, the main problem IMO is, once some guy got killed in the "open world" he'd rather whine on the forums instead of grouping up and fight back.

I agree on the rewards system tho, I like to pvp outside warzones sometimes, but as my time is very different from the server, fighting for nothing gets old real fast, at least if you don't have players who actually want to win.
Hawk's Twitch

Streaming PVP in crossdress mode - You can hate, but you too will be hawked \m/

Subbed since wave 2 early access, back when Valor still mattered on Ilum.

~ Pot5 - http://www.helguild.com ~

Hairyzac
12.05.2012 , 01:25 PM | #3
Open world PvP has never been about rewards for me.

Cilas
01.01.2013 , 10:48 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Hairyzac View Post
Open world PvP has never been about rewards for me.
I'm reviving this thread and I concur hairy! open world pvp is about fun for me, I don't need incentives.

Lately, you can find me and a few others in section X republic base starting some kind of pvp. perhaps we could get some larger fights going there..
Cilas Vexer Gaming
<Immortals>
YouTube Channel
Live Streaming on Twitch

Ansalem
01.01.2013 , 11:15 PM | #5
this should go in the suggestion forums instead of server forums where it goes to waste. Otherwise the devs are never going to read this.

-Mythix-
01.02.2013 , 01:33 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
this should go in the suggestion forums instead of server forums where it goes to waste. Otherwise the devs are never going to read this.
News flash: Devs don't read the suggestion forums either.

/carry on

KettleBelll
01.02.2013 , 05:43 AM | #7
This game just can't handle open world PvP.

Ever wonder why there is more lag in Huttball than any other map? It is because you are loading the entire enemy team, all eight players, at once. On the other maps, you are only loading a few enemy players at a time.

I see how this game handles in Huttball, and I remember the slideshow of Ilum. Open PvP would be nice, but it isn't something this game can handle.

Hairyzac
01.02.2013 , 07:58 AM | #8
No problems in Huttball for me.

Ansalem
01.02.2013 , 10:14 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by -Mythix- View Post
News flash: Devs don't read the suggestion forums either.

/carry on
they most definitely do read the suggestion forums they just don't implement all suggestions. It is the best way to get them to listen to new ideas though.

-Mythix-
01.02.2013 , 10:57 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
they most definitely do read the suggestion forums they just don't implement all suggestions. It is the best way to get them to listen to new ideas though.
Lol ok.